Biotest

Too Much Nepa?

How much walking is too much? I have a lot of time on my hands and could walk for 4 hrs if I desired…i just do not want to overdue it. I usually walk 50 mins to work and back and seek movement and nepa as much and usually walk at the pace prescribed.

I also do an hour after work as well on both workout days and nonworkout days. I am just wondering if there is a limit to how much walking can be done in one day. Would more than one hour of walking become catabolic and be counterproductive? I just want to be able to say at the end of this diet that I gave it everything I have.

I will even walk 10 miles a day if that will help. I cannot stress how badly I want to see my abs but I will not allow that desire to cloud logic. I love your articles Shugart and am an incredibly motivated individual I just want to do everything perfectly right.

It has also been very tempting for me to weigh myself everyday because I want to be on track…I just reread the weighing article though and it only recommended once a week…I am just really neurotic about making progress because I want to do everything perfect…is it really that bad to weigh yourself more than once a week?

[quote]stranberg18 wrote:
How much walking is too much? I have a lot of time on my hands and could walk for 4 hrs if I desired…i just do not want to overdue it. I usually walk 50 mins to work and back and seek movement and nepa as much and usually walk at the pace prescribed.

I also do an hour after work as well on both workout days and nonworkout days. I am just wondering if there is a limit to how much walking can be done in one day. Would more than one hour of walking become catabolic and be counterproductive? I just want to be able to say at the end of this diet that I gave it everything I have.

I will even walk 10 miles a day if that will help. I cannot stress how badly I want to see my abs but I will not allow that desire to cloud logic. I love your articles Shugart and am an incredibly motivated individual I just want to do everything perfectly right.[/quote]

This is a good question. There’s no real need to overdo NEPA. The diet plus the weights plus the supportive supplements does 90% of the work (or let’s just say MOST of the work). The NEPA, at around 30 - 45 minutes a day, is just a nice extra.

That said, the question is really, can NEPA be overdone? It’s not taxing on the muscles or nervous system (except for the very obese) after all. While I’m sure there’s a point of diminishing returns, it’s tough to say where that is, and it probably varies between individuals anyway.

Still, I’d say there’s really no need for over an hour of NEPA a day, though if you want to take two walks a day that’s probably no big deal.

Now, all that said, many people make grandiose plans while planning the V-Diet and return back to the suggested plan once they’re on it and feel the effects of low carbs and liquid meals. So, play it by ear. You may feel like extra NEPA, you may not.

[quote]Chris Shugart wrote:

Now, all that said, many people make grandiose plans while planning the V-Diet and return back to the suggested plan once they’re on it and feel the effects of low carbs and liquid meals. So, play it by ear. You may feel like extra NEPA, you may not.

[/quote]

Lol “after they’re on ti and feel the effects…”…yes you got it right…:slight_smile: :slight_smile:

I was planning one hour even more even before started the diet…after 10 days…The 30 to 45 minutes is just perfect lol…

If you really want to do more, if you have the chance move during the day, climbs the stairs whenever you can…try to avoid those escalator…so on…

is there a general amount or a formula on how many calories one can burn by walking for 30 to 45 mins ?

[quote]stranberg18 wrote:
…is it really that bad to weigh yourself more than once a week?[/quote]

It will drive you nuts, yes. The body can have natural “water weight” and even waste product fluctuations throughout the day. (And it’s even more true for females.)

It’s mostly a mental thing: If you step on the scale and weigh the exact same as you did the day before, you may think, “I haven’t accomplished anything. This isn’t working. etc” But in reality, you may lose 2-3 pounds total that week, which is great.

But this won’t show up every single day on the scale. And remember, scale weight isn’t really what’s important here anyway – measurements are. The tape measure doesn’t lie. The scale can. Losing or gaining four pounds can have a lot of meanings: four pounds of fat? Water? Muscle? Glycogen? Fecal matter? (Yuk, I know.) But four inches off the belly is four inches off the belly. No questions there.

So, stick to the weighing and measuring guidelines:

http://www.t-nation.com/tmagnum/readTopic.do?id=2155739

[quote]Moeeed wrote:
is there a general amount or a formula on how many calories one can burn by walking for 30 to 45 mins ?[/quote]

There are some general charts and formulas out there based on weight, sex, height, activity etc., but the actual number isn’t important at all. And the “burn X calories to lose X fat” statements are oversimplified and don’t really work like that in real life. Lots of other factors involved.

And by the way, those treadmills that tell you “calories burned” have been shown to be way off too. (Usually they overestimate.) And truthfully, it’s actually not very motivating to see the calories burned number. Who wants to end up dripping and exhausted on a cardio machine only to see “200 calories burned”? What’s that, two bites of a candy bar? Just don’t eat the candy bar, is the way I look at it.

[quote]shonaa wrote:
Chris Shugart wrote:

Lol “after they’re on ti and feel the effects…”…yes you got it right…:slight_smile: :slight_smile:

I was planning one hour even more even before started the diet…after 10 days…The 30 to 45 minutes is just perfect lol…

If you really want to do more, if you have the chance move during the day, climbs the stairs whenever you can…try to avoid those escalator…so on…[/quote]

x2 agreed…I PLANNED to do 60 minutes without fail…haha i’m grateful for the 30 minute suggestion

Hi Chris. Although I don’t venture into this forum much, the subject of NEPA and how it is addressed has piqued my curiosity.

I’ve seen a good bit written about NEPA walks and whatnot. I was under the impression that nepa was Non Exercise Physical Activity.

It seems that people are engaging in activity to intentionaly increase nepa(not that this is a bad thing). My concern is that when this is done it is no longer actualy nepa, and becomes an exercise.

Having done a good deal of manual labor in the fields of concrete construction and tree removal while training for general physique goals, I found it usefull to separate nepa from the actual lifting and physique exercises. The primary reason being that there were some specific requirements of a lifting program designed to remediate and prevent injury from a high activity level, and the secondary reason was to maintain motivation to train while engaged in such high levels of exertion from day to day.

The secondary reason is what I wanted to run by you. I found it very valuable to separate and compartmentalize nepa from actual training. The boost of motivation and the reduction of wanting to rationalize not training was the main function of this type of compartmentalization.

Would you see this type of designation/compartmentalization as usefull to the practitioners of the V-Diet, or is this just an exercise in hair splitting and mind-f**king?