Biotest

Tom's 28 Days of Zombie Killing V-Diet Fun!

I will be starting the Version 3.0 V-Diet up on 9 March. I will be doing this myself. My wife wants to see the results and maybe do it too. However, I don’t think she has the willpower to do it but she wants to see me.

I have received everything and bought all the other items required for this and look forward to the results. I will most likely start with the Advanced program since I have been doing weightlifting for a little while. However, if it is a little rough I may back it down to the Intermediate level.

My other area I have to really work on during this will be to really focus on getting enough sleep. I am somewhat of a night-owl and have sleep deprivation because of having to go to work in the mornings fairly early. So it is back to managing myself like I was in Basic Training again. Gotta love schedules!

I will be doing the measurements tomorrow morning and post them up here. I will be doing measurements every Sunday so I have a track record to track progress. I will also post my before photos too.

Hopefully I won’t end up looking like one of those zombies from Left 4 Dead!

Look forward to sharing with you my results as I go through with this.

Also, I had a question for Chad/Chris regarding NEPA activity. I like to go out walking in my Vibram FiveFingers and have been using them for a little while. I enjoy the free feeling they give my feet. My question for you is about doing the NEPA with a weight vest?

Specifically on whether this is a good idea to make NEPA more worthwhile or something that might burn me out because of the drain on my system. Or, would it be a good idea to use it on the days I don’t work out? I have a good vest that I like to use for this and enjoy taking it out with my dog so he can get his walk on.

My reward for this will be a nightlong session playing Left 4 Dead! Thanks and look forward to all the fun!
Tom

When formulating the V-Diet, I too thought about wearing an Xvest during the walks. Long story short: not needed. Save every ounce of effort and focus you have for the weight training. The NEPA only needs to be a fast walk for some extra, low intensity calorie burning and recovery. It shouldn’t really even feel like a “workout.” So, no vest.

Thanks Chris!

Here are my starting measurements for the fun (pounds or inches):

Height: 69
Weight: 214.5
Neck: 17
Shoulders: 50.9
Chest - Upper: 47
Chest - Lower: 42
Waist - at Navel: 42
Waist - at largest: 42
Hips - at largest: 41.5
Upper Arm - L: 15.5
Upper Arm - R: 15.5
Upper Leg - L: 25
Upper Leg - R: 25.5
Lower Leg - L: 15
Lower Leg - R: 15
Ankle - L: 10
Ankle - R: 10

Some were a little bigger than I thought but that’s the joy of measuring and the humility of it all too.

Ok, I’ve come up with a solution to the daily mixing craze that will speed up things. I’ve put together 6 ziplock bags prepacked with my meal’s correct ingredients for the day.

I’ve posted up my diet in the kitchen and will be starting up tomorrow morning. I’ll track each day here with a quick report of what happened that particular day pertaining to the diet and exercise.

Oh yeah, before I forget, here are my goals at the end of the 28 days:
Weight: 190
Waist: 34

I want to have some solid goals to shoot for and those are perfect for me.

090309: Day 1/28

Exercise: Phase 1 Adv Workout: Monday & NEPA

• Bent-over BB Row - UH Grip: 135x10, 155x5, 175x5

• Notes: Start with 175 for next time. Changing weights took time and ended up busting the 30sec rest.
  • Overhead Squat: 135x5, 135x5, 115x5, 95x5

• Notes: Very sloppy for first three sets. Need support for heels since they keep coming off the floor and cause me to become unbalanced. Start w/ 95 next time. Changing weights took time and ended up busting the 30sec rest.
  • Dips: (BW+45)x8, (BW+45)x7, (BW+45)x3, (BW+45)x2

• Notes: My favorite exercise. 45 way too easy will use heavier weight next time. Use 32KG Kettlebell instead.
  • Ab-Wheel Rollout: BWx10, BWx5, BWx5

• Notes: Gym does not have Ab-Wheel and I forgot mine so I did extended push-ups in place of these (lie down on floor w/ arms and hands extended all the way out in front of head and push up to support body w/ core, similar to being fully extended out when using Ab-Wheel). Will have to make ab-wheel harder since it is too easy for me when done on knees.
  • NEPA: Went walking for 32:39 mins/secs at a fairly fast pace up and down some hills. It was rather cold here in Germany so I had to bundle up a little bit. Speaking of things, I went walking with my Vibram FiveFingers Flow and they felt really good. Of course, I think that walking with these at a faster pace makes you work more than using regular shoes. Plus, you get to become more “intimate” with the ground since there is only a very thin layer between you and ground. I also looked like a suburban ninja all dressed up in black.

Diet:
All meals and post workout are on track. No slip ups.

Notes/Observations:

• Overhead Squat was very humbling because I am not used to that and I have very tight calves.
  • HOT-ROX --> AWESOME!! outstanding because I went to bed way too late last night and they are keeping me running so far today!
  • Need to be in bed a lot earlier so I can give my body adequate rest.
  • Fiber Choice Tablets --> OMG!! They taste almost as good as large chewy Sweettarts!! Hell, I could probably eat the whole bottle but am limiting it since I would probably be shitting for the rest of the day! Chris, This stuff is the SHIT!! LITERALLY!
  • The shakes are doing a phenomenal job of keeping me full and no problem with having hunger pangs!
  • Surge --> TASTY & SWEET!! Excellent choice too! I don’t think I will have a problem with this diet!

Oh yeah, I’ll put up my before pics tomorrow.

pics?

090310: Day 2/28

Exercise:

• NEPA but no walk. I walk a lot at work and ran up and down many stairs. There is a reason why Germany is called the “land of many stairs”

Diet:

• Straight on target. Thought about skipping one meal but didn’t. I like to lick my peanut butter spoon! I also learned that I don’t like Anise flavoring in my shake, yuck!

• Still feeling full too.

• HOT-ROX is working well and gives me a surprising amount of energy.

Notes/Observations:

• Did it again by not getting as much sleep. I have to kick myself in the ass to go to bed because I usually get going strong at night for either gaming or programming. Also, since I am over here in Germany, I conduct all my business with folks back in the USA since they are anywhere from 6-9 hours behind me and thus the bump in time scale.

• As noted above, HOT-ROX has given me more energy than what I thought. And the good thing is that I don’t have the jitters or other associated crap that affects a person on the metabolism “enhancers” so I am very happy with that.

• I didn’t get on to the NEPA walk today because I’ve been running up and down stairs and getting pissed off at my kid so I’ve been a little hot. We’ll see how that goes. Love my kids but they can be little shits occasionally.

• I will get the pics later, that wasn’t happening with ballistic mode on my oldest daughter and programming projects I have to get out the door.

I remember sleep was the hardest part of the first 10 days of the diet. I’ve been sleeping VERY well since then. No ZMA or melatonin necessary. I hope you get to catch up on your ZZZs, at least over the weekend! Great work so far mate.

090311: Day 3/28

Exercise: Adv Wednesday 40 Reps of love

• Wide Grip Pullups: BW(5,5,5,3,3,2,2,2,3,2,3,2,2,2)
    • Notes: PAINFUL! Not one of my stronger exercises so I’ll stick with BW.
  • Incline DB Press: 8x50, 8x60, 8x60, 6x60, 5x60, 5x50
    • Notes: Should have started off w/ 60s. Performance degraded and moved down to 50s.
  • Romanian DL: 8x205, 8x205, 7x205, 7x205-RLG, 5x205-RLG, 5x205-RRG
    • Notes: First 3 sets were done w/ both palms facing back. After Pullups and Press grip was a little fried. RLG: Reverse Left Grip. RRG: Reverse Right Grip. Once I did the traditional grip for this the exercise became much easier. Next time I will be using 225.
  • BB Curls: 10x55, 10x55, 10x55, 10x55
    • Notes: Exercises started fairly but got more difficult because the previous exercises burning out the grip. Weight was about right.
      Hanging Leg Raise: BW(8,7,8,10,7)
    • Notes: Grip was, yet again, fried and I had to change to a different bar. I felt it in my stomach.
      NEPA: Walked with my FiveFingers for 35 minutes and came back fairly winded. The doggie loved it too!

Diet:

• Spot on for today. No issues other than everything smelling OH SO GOOD!
  • Tried Banana, Strawberry, and Chocolate. They are ok. You just can’t hide the flavor so I guess I’ll have to live with that for another 25 days. Thank goodness for HSMs and Peanut Butter to help! And the fiber pills too!

Notes/Observations:

• Nothing to strange or outside of tolerances to report. Still need to get the Sleep thing down. I’ll probably end up ordering ZMA or something here so I can get some solid sleep. Oh yeah, photos will be up when I get off my tired ass and resize them in photoshop to post here.

[quote]loydte3 wrote:
090309: Day 2/28

Exercise:

• NEPA but no walk. I walk a lot at work and ran up and down many stairs. There is a reason why Germany is called the “land of many stairs”

Diet:

• Straight on target. Thought about skipping one meal but didn’t. I like to lick my peanut butter spoon! I also learned that I don’t like Anise flavoring in my shake, yuck!

• Still feeling full too.

• HOT-ROX is working well and gives me a surprising amount of energy.

Notes/Observations:

• Did it again by not getting as much sleep. I have to kick myself in the ass to go to bed because I usually get going strong at night for either gaming or programming. Also, since I am over here in Germany, I conduct all my business with folks back in the USA since they are anywhere from 6-9 hours behind me and thus the bump in time scale.

• As noted above, HOT-ROX has given me more energy than what I thought. And the good thing is that I don’t have the jitters or other associated crap that affects a person on the metabolism “enhancers” so I am very happy with that.

• I didn’t get on to the NEPA walk today because I’ve been running up and down stairs and getting pissed off at my kid so I’ve been a little hot. We’ll see how that goes. Love my kids but they can be little shits occasionally.

• I will get the pics later, that wasn’t happening with ballistic mode on my oldest daughter and programming projects I have to get out the door.[/quote]

Tom-
Try Z-12. When I ordered my supps I added it to make sure that I got the proper rest because I suspected I might have some sleepless nights.

Dr. Mike

090312: Day 4/28

Exercise:
NEPA: This consisted of walking around my work building for most of the day. Of course I’ve been very tired due to lack of sleep so it was painful.

Diet:

• Diet is on plan with no breaks. Smelling other foods has been REALLY tempting but that is mainly due to me being tired.
  • Still have this fetish of getting a tongasm licking the peanut butter spoon in some kind of a sick way! Yes, you can only hide chalky flavor a little bit, with the firm knowledge that it still tastes like flavored chalky shit.
  • One thing I do notice so far is that I stay pretty full. I also tend to get hungry on a schedule near about when I need to drink my shakes. That’s good because my tumtum keeps me in line.

Notes/Observations:

• Today was difficult because I was up later than normal last night. Since I am over here in Germany I have to often conduct my business into the late of the night and then have to get up early the next day.

Because I was up very late last night, 0130, I was majorly dragging ass today and felt it. I am also a victim of drive-by DOMS (Delayed Onset of Muscle Soreness).

But that is to be expected with the workouts. I will most likely be going to bed a little earlier tonight because I need the sleep. I will most likely order some ZMA or Z-12 as suggested above to sleep a little more deeply at night.

• Since I’m pretty busy in the evenings I’ll most likely post up my before photos Saturday.

090313: Day 5/28

Exercise: Adv Workout Friday
Front Squat: 5x155,5x155,5x155,5x155,5x155

• Notes: Weight is about right, may try it a little heavier next week. Yet another exercise that shows my weaknesses.
    Bench Press (Dips): (BW+70)5,5,5,4,3,3
  • Notes: Since I’m not a big fan of bench pressing I substituted weighted dips w/ elbows pulled for this. Used 2x16kg Kettlebells on a dip belt. It was a hard workout.
    Chin-ups: 5,3,3,3,3,2,3,3
  • Notes: I hate chinups. I did one set of five regular chinups and then adjusted it because my wrists hurt from the harsh rotation when I hung all the way down. I was also still sore from Wednesday too. Need some improvement on this one too. Won’t be doing chinups but will do pull-ups.
    PushPress: (2x16kg KBs)10,5,5,5
    Notes: This weight was about right. I will most likely take the Kettlebells lower down in the push-press cycle so I can feel it. Of course, the start was also a good wind-up because it got me breathing a lot too.
    NEPA: Went walking with the dog and the daughter in tow on her razor scooter. Was out for about 38 minutes.

Diet:

• No changes to the plan other than had to eat everything an hour or so later so I got hungry. My workout was later in the day too and that kind of got my schedule off a little.
  • I realized that I do not like the flavor of any of the protein powders, but I’ve committed and will see this through so I will drink them all up. You don’t have to enjoy the taste you just have to drink them. The results will speak for themselves.

Notes/Observations:

• Muscles are sore from the exercises. I will most likely do some kind of stretching regimen on the “off” days to work out the kinks and relax the muscles. My oldest daughter was making fun of me because I was walking stiff so I guess it is noticeable.

090314: Day 6/28

Exercise: Adv Workout Saturday

• shifted exercises to day 7. See notes below.

Diet:

• Skipped one meal today due to notes below.
  • Did not eat anything else so I am partially on track.

Notes/Observations:

• Well, I didn’t think staying up that late would do me in like that so I ended up doing mainly walking around NEPA style today (no specific time). I felt like shit because it and would not have been able to do much of anything and didn’t want add to it with the exercises. So I will be doing them tomorrow.
  • I also realized that I don’t like using tap water for my shakes because it makes them taste even more unpalatable, so I went and bought about 12 gallons of water for this.

090315: Day 7 Week 1 Ending Measurements:
Here are measurements(pounds or inches):

Height: 69
Weight: 206.0
Neck: 16.9
Shoulders:
Chest - Upper: 47
Chest - Lower: 40.4
Waist - at Navel: 40.5
Waist - at largest: 40.5
Hips - at largest: 40.75
Upper Arm - L: 14.5
Upper Arm - R: 14.5
Upper Leg - L: 26.5
Upper Leg - R: 26.5
Lower Leg - L: 15
Lower Leg - R: 14.9
Ankle - L: 9
Ankle - R: 9

Some were a little bigger than I thought but that’s the joy of measuring and the humility of it all too.

Photo #1: Front

Photo #2: Side

Photo #3: Back

I have also created an Excel Spreadsheet Measurement Differential Tracker in Office 2007 (Which means I can export for previous versions of Office). If you want a copy just PM me and I’ll send you a copy.

090315: Day 7/28

Exercise: Adv Workout Saturday

• Jumping Split Squat
  • Hand Walkout from toes
  • Single-Leg Deadlift twist and lateral reach
  • Push-up torso rotation
  • Jumping Jack
  • Side Lunge overhead reach
  • Handstand Pushup/Pike Pushups
  • Squat Thrust jump and reach
    Time: 37:22
    Notes: Ouch! I did two sets of Handstand Pushups and then had to back off to the Pike because I am not used to it yet.

Diet:

• Today’s diet was similar to yesterday’s. I had one meal less because I slept in. The HSM was ohhhhh so good! I made myself a tongasm sandwich and ate it with slowly and most deliciously too. I also had 1.5 glasses of squeezed orange juice. Of course, while I was eating my sandwich, my oldest daughter was there begging for a bite from a starving man. I ended up sharing the last piece with her because I was getting full.

Notes/Observations:

• I will most likely be skipping one meal on both Saturday and Sunday because I stay up so late on the weekends and sleep in to a later time during the day. I also did my measurements today and was glad to see the differences. It is interesting to see where the fat is coming off because it isn’t coming from where I thought it would. Look forward to next week’s measurements to see how they compare to this week.