Biotest

Tmartinez's V-Diet Log

I’m on day 2 of the V-Diet. I took my measurements and “before” photos today. Yesterday was quite busy at work and I thought that I should focus on getting the routine down rather than worry about the measurements.

Some things I have noticed so far:

(1) The protein shakes are actually quite filling. Indeed, I haven’t really felt hungry for the two days so far. I know it’s early, but this is a good sign.

(2) It turns out that my old diet was centered on salty foods rather than sweet foods. I do not really like drinking so many sweet shakes-- I would rather have something salty. Nonetheless, I will manage just fine and look forward to the transformation.

(3) I initially was lazy and simply used the cold tap water. The shakes didn’t taste that good. Then, I started refrigerating some water ahead of time, added ice to the shakes, and thus made a smoothie. Much better texture that way.

(4) Banana Cream is the best flavor, followed by Strawberry, Chocolate, and Vanilla.

(5) The training component and NEPA walks are really challenging, at least to me (I am not a bodybuilder-- yet). I am still sore from the first workout on Day 1, but I look forward to doing the next weight session tomorrow.

If any of you have tricks for limiting muscle pain/fatigue while still challenging the body during the weight training, let me know.

I’m pissed off at what my body looks like now. It’s time for change.

PS: I haven’t go around to putting my “before” photos on my computer yet.

“If any of you have tricks for limiting muscle pain/fatigue while still challenging the body during the weight training, let me know.”

Its hard to have tricks when you have a prescribed diet and workout plan to stick to but I would say #1 take in you post-workout Surge as soon as you finish your workout #2 make sure your shakes are well spread out and your last one of the night along with hours of sleep isnt too much time without nutrition (protein) #3 learn how to stretch out muscles on a foam roller.

Thanks, I started doing just that and it worked fine.

UPDATE

I’m two weeks into the diet and still going strong. I find the shakes to be quite filling. As for the problem of shake consistency, I figured out that my aversion to the shakes was psychological. Quite simply, I was making an excuse to fail: who could blame me if I couldn’t keep the shakes down? Answer: everyone. Once I realized that the problem was in my head, things have been much better. The muscle soreness went away as I stubbornly pushed my muscles to do what the program demanded. Again, I overcame my own excuses and refused to take “no” for an answer.

Never had I quit the diet though. I have kept up with everything. I simply am saying that I learned the pain was more my brain finding an excuse to quit to go back to my lazy ways. No more excuses. It’s time to kick a$$.

As for the progress: I have lost 13 pounds in the two weeks and the various measurements have gone down considerably! I lost 8 pounds the first week and 5 this past week. Honestly, I was somewhat disappointed to loose only 5 pounds this week, but it is still loss and I’m still basically on track for my weight-loss goals.

Yesterday’s gym session seemed to easy: meaning I must push up the weights further. That’s good progress. As I go on through the training, I am loving the feeling of the workout, going to the gym and challenging myself. I have always been competitive intellectually. Now I am turning that competitiveness and drive to fixing my body.

As for the diet itself: the shakes are a great way to detoxify my food habits. Unfortunately, my roommates still eat a bunch of fast food. Yet, I have not yet craved any of it. I find that I am craving things like tomatoes and lots of beef (but not hamburgers) rather than pasta (my old standby) and pizza. I don’t even miss beer.

Of course, I could be due for a crave strike at any time, but I’m doing good. I keep looking to my weight loss goals, my training goals, and the man I want to be.

Oh, and spending “dinner time” reading TMUSCLE articles while my roommates eat crap is a good way to keep on track too.

i’m stuck with two tubs of banana cream and 1 tub of strawberry i don’t want. trade you for your chocolate! :stuck_out_tongue:

[quote]tehil wrote:

(4) Banana Cream is the best flavor, followed by Strawberry, Chocolate, and Vanilla.

i’m stuck with two tubs of banana cream and 1 tub of strawberry i don’t want. trade you for your chocolate! :P[/quote]

Sorry, I cannot take your offer. In fact, I have grown to dislike the Banana Cream. It gets unusually and uncomfortably thick compared to the other flavors. I am currently thinning it with one scoop of vanilla instead of all Banana Cream and adding a bunch more water.

When I ordered the package, I realized that Chocolate would either be my favorite flavor or the one I could eat the most of even if it wasn’t that great. So, I bought an extra Chocolate in lieu of one of the Vanillas. Therefore, Chocolate=gold to me. Sorry, no trade.

I am getting good results with this program though. I feel better and have more energy than I had in high school.

Update:

I just finished the diet this week. Some impressions for those of you considering the diet or just starting:

• This diet is worthwhile to do. Once I got over my psychological block and decided to be driven to change, the diet got much easier. Give it time and stubbornness, and you will succeed.

• I guess I should tell my results. I lost 22 pounds over the whole experience. I feel better, stronger, and even more sexy. Seriously, I have women asking ME out instead of saying “I love you like a brother.”

• Measurements will be in the next post.

• I was just tested for body fat percentage (the caliper test). I unfortunately did not do that before I started the diet, but my current body fat is 15.5% (know that there could be some margin of error to this number). I basically went from “overweight” to “average.” I’m not where I want to be yet (10% or below), but I’m on the right track.

• Spend your free time during the diet reading the articles on this website. I typically stay away from the forums, but there may be good info there too. I basically spent my time reading the nutrition, supplement, and training articles while I would drink my nighttime shakes. I therefore feel prepared for life post-VDiet.

• Invest in a quality blender. It is your food source.

• The training is only as good as the effort you put in it. Look around you at the gym. There are scores of people there who have never seen progress in their years of training. Why? Because they are not busting their butt every time. During this diet, I made sure I felt like I was about to vomit each time I left the gym. Seek to do the same, and you will see results.

Speaking of results…

(all measurements in inches)
6/2/2009
Height 70
Weight (in pounds) 233
Neck 16.75
Shoulders 46
Chest Upper 43
Chest Lower 44
Waist Navel 46.75
Waist Largest 47.25
Hips Largest 48
Upper Arm L 14.5
Upper Arm R 14.75
Upper Leg L 24
Upper Leg R 25
Lower Leg L 16
Lower Leg R 16
Ankle L 10.25
Ankle R 10.5

Height 70
Weight (in pounds) 211
Neck 15
Shoulders 46.5
Chest Upper 41.5
Chest Lower 41
Waist Navel 43
Waist Largest 43.5
Hips Largest 44.25
Upper Arm L 13.75
Upper Arm R 13.5
Upper Leg L 23
Upper Leg R 23.25
Lower Leg L 15
Lower Leg R 15.5
Ankle L 10
Ankle R 10.25

Nice work, are you finished with transitioning too, or just starting? What are you plans after the diet?

I completely agree with the “get a good blender” tip.

For the first few days I was dicking around with a spoon to mix my shakes… after a day or two of swallowing the infamous “whey turds” and eating the flax with a spoon, i’ve had enough.

With a good blender or mixer, the quality of the shakes greatly improves.

If you’re still mixing by hand get a blender!!!

[quote]yobarman wrote:

For the first few days I was dicking around with a spoon to mix my shakes… after a day or two of swallowing the infamous “whey turds” and eating the flax with a spoon, i’ve had enough.

If you’re still mixing by hand get a blender!!![/quote]

Magic Bullets rock…

[quote]FGG wrote:
Nice work, are you finished with transitioning too, or just starting? What are you plans after the diet?[/quote]

I’m done with the whole program: transition and all.

I spent the transition learning new recipes and meal planning options for the nutrition side of things. I got a free account on FitDay.com so I could watch my Calories, fat, protein, and carb intake for any one meal and track my progress over time. Mr. Shugart would probably tell you not to, but I’m still on restricted Calories because I want to continue to loose weight, even if at a slower pace. That was just what my goals are, and you should really think hard about it before you continue in a Calorie-deficient mode.

Prior to the V-Diet, I had not been in the gym since high school (I am now a law student). So I did the Beginner Program. It is excellent and taught me a lot about my body’s strengths and weaknesses. I also read a lot of the training articles. I had a buddy who is an experienced bodybuilder help me design a basic program. Here’s what I started this week:

Monday: Leg Day:

Back Squat 3-4x6-8
Dumbbell Split Squats 2-3x10-12
Romanian Deadlift 3-4x6-8
Lying Leg Curl 2-3x6-8
Core: Plank Holds 2-3x45 sec.

Wednesday: Back/Biceps

Bent-Over Barbell Row 3-4x6-8
Lat Pull-downâ??Overhand Medium Grip 3-4x6-8
Standing Barbell Curls 2-3x6-8
Core: Hand Walkouts 2-3x10-12

Friday: Chest/Shoulders/Triceps Day

Bench Press 3-4x6-8
Seated DBell Shoulder Press 3-4x6-8
Tricep Pull-down (w/ rope) 2-3x10-12
Low Incline Chest Flies 2x10-12
Core: Leg Rises 2-3x10-12

[quote]yobarman wrote:

If you’re still mixing by hand get a blender!!![/quote]

I totally agree. I even blend my Surge Recovery drinks. Be warned: this whips a lot of air into the drink, so plan enough time to let it settle down before you take it to the gym.

As for the flax seed: I had to give up the flax. Apparently, I am midly allergic to flax. Everytime I had a flax shake, my mouth would burn. So, I’ll have to take your word on that one.

I didn’t buy a Magic Bullet. The only ones I could find only made up to 2 cups (16 fl. oz.). Since I like my shakes thinner (ESPECIALLY the Banana Cream), that was too small for me. A lot of people like them though.