Biotest

Tips for Newbies... Add Yours!

There are some great tips that we all find through our journey on the V-Diet but they are all spread out in the threads so I thought it would be cool to have a place that Nubies could get a lot of tips all at once. Everyone is different and has their own preferences. What works for one person may not for another so the more info the better!

SO…my tips:

-full glass of water with HOT-ROX significantly minimizes the sternum burn

-keep busy busy busy

-thinner shakes are easier to chug for me. i dont personally like thick, so if you find you dont like thick then use 16oz water and 2 scoops and use refrigerated water

-here’s a link to a thread on different shake variations with extracts, etc:

-my tolerance for the shakes goes down through the day so if you are a woman on the 1200-1500 cal plan and dont get up super early, I do 4 shakes with 2 scoops in stead of breaking it up into 5 shakes with 2 of them having only 1 scoop. Then at night I can have the PB alone and enjoy it more.

-Dont weigh everyday. Also, if you dont have a big amt of weight to lose and you are lifting weights dont be discouraged if the scale numbers dont go down as much as you’d like. focus on the measurements. if they keep going down, you are doing great!

-Crystal light lemonade to sip on in between shakes has helped us a lot

-my opinion on the Vanilla SURGE is gross, gross, gross… raspberry is better (too sweet, but better)

-the choc and van SHAKE mix is the most versatile, get more of those and less of the other flavors.

Starting V-Diet with Hubby Aug 1st
Starting V-Diet with Hubby Aug 1st

I found it helpful on my first V-Diet run, to start a journal, well and online log, of the basic everday affairs and how I was feeling, it was a great tool to keep me occupied, I was also very angry at the time, so it served at a theraputical release in a way I guess.

I remember also reading somewhere (I think it was Dan John’s V-Diet) the Ohh I’ll quit tommorrow technique. I never actually thought I was gonna stop but it helped to just shrug and laugh it off later in the day when I felt like I more vulnerable. Just wake up the next day and mindlessly make a shake and be back on track.

Not that I dont love Metabolic Drive, but after 5 doubles a day it get kinda tiring and sickening. I never found it a problem when I was at home and could blend them with ice to make em go down smoother, but I had to have 3 doubles at work which was killer at times for just overall pallatability after a few weeks. So hence, I reccomend blending w ice.

Keep rockin, stay strong, know that your path is your own, something you own,on your own, no one can take it from you unless you let them.

I find I get ‘throat burn’ with the Hot-Rox so I drink a little water first, take them, then down the rest of the water.

Cinammon, a drop or two of almond extract (real, not imitation), and allspice are your friends.

IF you can help it, don’t ever just shake up your powder and flax and drink it. I tried that a few times and it really turned me off to the shakes, so I had to come back and restart the V-Diet later. I have a hand blender and regular blender and always blend the shake. There’s your last piece of advice get a portable hand blender they work wonders.

Before I started my V-Diet on Monday, 8/18, I set up an online survey to get feedback from the veterans.

The results of that can be read here:
http://sites.google.com/site/etrader83/Home/velocity-diet---survey-results

If the flax in your shake turns you off, mix the flax in a little water and mash it to a dough then chew that. This way I love the flavor.

Wash out your containers after shakes, especially Surge. The stuff will ferment really fast.

Plan ahead. Know what your going to eat tomorrow, what your workout plan is going to be, stay focused.

Here’s my tips:

• Put the flax on your tongue, and choke it down with water. Much easier that way.

• Stay away from anything but chocolate Surge. And for god sakes avoid original flavor.

• Start a blog, as putting everything out there will keep you motivated and the positive comments from people are amazing tools to push you forward.

• Don’t miss a workout, don’t miss a NEPA.

• Always plan ahead. Make your shakes the night before…aka: Buy shaker bottles and at least throw the powder in. That way you have no excuse to not have them with you even if you’re running late somewhere.

• Find a way to make it past week 1. After that it gets easier.

• I tend to like thick shakes too…makes it almost like a smoothie and very cold.

• Like Banu said, make sure to drink a lot of water with the HOT-ROX. The sternal burn is fierce the first week, but you will develop a tolerance to it eventually.

• I find NEPA walks at night with music very therapeutic. Let’s you think, have some time to yourself, even sing if you want =)

also: Get yourself a bullet-style blender. I wouldn’t recommend the magic bullet persay as I hear it breaks easy…but I have a Tribest personal blender and it’s a godsend. From water–>powder–>water–>ice–> blend in 30 secs…too easy and no cleanup.

For hunger and/or cravings:
Tip#1
L-GLUTAMINE.

I buy mine in a powder form and put 5grams in a small glass with a bit of Crystal Lite and down it. It has no taste but sorta mixes up like baking soda would. you can get L-Glutamine in a capsule form too, for convenience.

IT IS A TRUE LIFESAVER. The reason we have cravings or hunger is because our blood sugars are a bit imbalanced and this Amino acid balances them out.

Tip#2
Crystal Lite popsicles. these really help and are fun at the same time. I use diet pop, like diet rootbeer pop and make popsicles too.

When doing the workouts suggested with the VDiet (i.e. the HBT workouts), don’t expect to be able to use the same weights that you were able to use before you were on the VDiet. aside from being glycogen depleted, the shorter rest periods prescribed in the workout take a HUMONGOUS toll on your capacity.

also, just remember Arnold’s words in “Pumping Iron”: “I have no fear of vomiting.”

dan

keep ur head in tha game.

[quote]HateMachine wrote:
I found it helpful on my first V-Diet run, to start a journal, well and online log, of the basic everday affairs and how I was feeling, it was a great tool to keep me occupied, I was also very angry at the time, so it served at a theraputical release in a way I guess.

I remember also reading somewhere (I think it was Dan John’s V-Diet) the Ohh I’ll quit tommorrow technique. I never actually thought I was gonna stop but it helped to just shrug and laugh it off later in the day when I felt like I more vulnerable. Just wake up the next day and mindlessly make a shake and be back on track.

Not that I dont love Metabolic Drive, but after 5 doubles a day it get kinda tiring and sickening. I never found it a problem when I was at home and could blend them with ice to make em go down smoother, but I had to have 3 doubles at work which was killer at times for just overall pallatability after a few weeks. So hence, I reccomend blending w ice.

Keep rockin, stay strong, know that your path is your own, something you own,on your own, no one can take it from you unless you let them. [/quote]

Let me suggest getting nose clips.

Before you drink a shake, put them on.

Then, drink some water.

Then, drink the shake.

Then, rinse your mouth out and drink some more water.

Then take the nose clips off.

You will find that you tolerate diet shakes a lot better if you are nose clipping them.

Just a thought.

If there are others in the house not on the V-Diet and you are sometimes tempted to eat (even just a little) of what they are having, suck on a sugar free cough drop. or put on Crest WhiteStrips. Go have a bath or anything else that will distract you.

Buy a powdered milk dispenser [ http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/PARENT’S-CHOICE-FORMULA-MILK-DISPENSER-BABY-FOOD-_W0QQitemZ150286015464QQcmdZViewItemQQimsxZ20080822?IMSfp=TL0808221317r35519 ] I have two of these each holds 3 separated scoops of md. Easy for shakes when out of the house.

Also, if you can afford it. Superfood is your friend. It tastes like fruit tea, gives your body nutrients. I reward myself when I am have cravings.

I enjoy the shakes and flax seed, so I split my shakes up(I am constantly eating this way) And I add the peanut butter and/or flax seed to to the 1 scoop shakes. This makes them thicker and more satisfying.

Saving your natural peanut butter serving for use as a snack is very satisfying. Good texture and seems to have a satiating effect.
Nice to have something to put in your mouth.

Get a bunch of favors with your protein. Mix it, add extracts etc. Chocolate and flax go well together. Vanilla and PB and flax do too.