Biotest

Tips for Efficiency in the Kitchen?

Hey Chris,

I don’t follow the velocity diet, but since visiting this forum recently, your meal pics and recipes have quickly become a favorite of mine around here. I’ve become all about the different but similar meals like mashed cauliflower, cauliflower based pizza, spaghetti squash, etc.

That said, as much as I enjoy cooking (it’s almost therapeutic to me), I have noticed the whole ordeal to make most of these types of meals ends up being an incredibly long process. Typically I’ll have a few different projects going on at once, such as while I’m cooking chicken, i’ll also be prepping the mashed cauliflower, while spreading beef out on a dehydrator for the following days, while also mixing up a batch of homemade protein bars to take with me places the next few days. The problem is, when I’m feeding my wife and I, the mashed cauliflower is only good for one meal, the chicken is gone in no time, as well as the beef jerky and protein bars. So, the whole long process of making basically a mess in the kitchen as well as the clean up ends up being a super long process every single day, making me lose valuable quality time with my family who is in the other room taking care of a baby while I make these meals.

Don’t get me wrong, my wife absolutely appreciates and loves that I make all these nice meals, but I just wish there were possibly some tips on how to make the whole thing more efficient. So far I’ve just come up with throwing the chicken in a bag w/ franks hot sauce and freezing it so whenever we need it, it is already marinated. As well, instead of boiling the squash or cauliflower and having to wait for it to heat up, I just microwave it (i’m not as concerned about the micronutrient loss as I am with just the low calorie high fiber), and instead of making fancy individual protein muffins, i just lump it all in a massive batch and cut it once the whole glob is cooked.

Sorry for the long rant, I hope you get what I’m trying to ask… lol

My wife and I often do sort of a pre-prep ritual in the morning - we get everything ready to go for big dinner at night. Usually nothing cooked, just pre-chopped, crusts pre-made and ready for the oven, sauces or homemade ketchup pre-made, and if frying (see my “Fry Anything” thread) I’ll pre-trim and pre-bread everything. At night it all comes together very quickly.

Also, if you haven’t yet, get a slow cooker with a timer. The last few pages of the “What Chris Eats” thread has some pics of my set-up and a few meals. Jonny Bowden’s book, The 150 Healthiest Slow Cooker Meals on Earth, is a great. A little fancy at times, but a good book. http://www.amazon.com/Healthiest-Slow-Cooker-Recipes-Earth/dp/B00BFQLBMO

With the slow cooker, you toss in most or all of the ingredients, set it on low for 7-8 hours and come home to a great meal. Many of these meals can be served over rice and a dedicated rice cooker is awesome. $15 at Walmart, perfect rice in 12 minutes or so every time.