Biotest

Time to Take the Plunge

Hi guys

I don’t normally post a lot but thought that this time, it’s going to be necessary to get some support from all of you guys to get through this.

I’ve been involved in sport since 5. 15 years of competitive swimming and last 8 years of BJJ, lifting and a couple of years of some kettlebell work in there as well. I’m also slightly obsessed with weight and have been for a while.

I also really love food and beer and wine :slight_smile: So last few years have really been a battle to balance all this out. What’s more, the alcohol is really becoming an issue. I hope that 1 month cold turkey will at least put me on the right track. There’s also never a perfect time to start and if I wait for the perfect time, I will never start.

Finally I am fed up with always doing things to 80%, or near enough good enough standard. For the amount of work and exercise I do, I really don’t see the results I want. I used to always blame it this or that but the only thing to blame is my lack of commitment and not being able to take things seriously enough to get the BEST possible result. So in a way this is an experiment to see if I can take this through to the end.

Still waiting for my powdered fuel to come as I live in Holland.

Weight: 82kg 180.4 lbs
Height:179 cm
Bodyfat: no idea there seems to be a lack of people with calipers in Holland but last time it was taken it was around 9% I guesstimate it is now somewhere around 15% maybe you can comment from the photos.

Ideal weight : Between 75 and 78 kg. 10 pounds of weight loss is the goal, anything more is bonus provided I am getting stronger and can actually stand. The other goal is to be able to actually see some abs…which I have never been able to do.

Photos added for extra motivation.

Will post more when the stuff is in the mail and kick off the diet.

A general question to anyone who cares to reply…how do you organise your shakes? If for example you are going away from home? 6 plastics bags with all your meals in them for the day?
Also, if I don’t have 24/7 access to a blender, does the stuff mix up OK with water only in a shaker?

Looking forward to this although let’s revisit a week after I start.

Since I estimate it will take around a week to get my supps, from a discipline perspective I will start logging my food today. Apologies to anyone who finds it irrelevant to the V-Diet but I think it will help me to get into the habit of logging progress once I start.

So Monday 30.5.2011…to be updated

Weight morning 81.5 kg

Meal 1
2 egg yolks, 3 egg whites omelet w 10 g butter
1/2 Red grapefruit
1 espresso
Meal 2
100 gr turkey breast
6 strawberries, handful blue berries
15g walnuts
Meal 3
150ml pea and mint soup
cup lettuce w 1 tbsp mayo
Meal 4
120 g canned tuna in oil (drained)
Cup lettuce w 2 tbsp mayonnaise
Meal 5
200 ml chicken stock
60 g shredded chicken breast (from the stock)

Exercise
FM drills, stretching
3 x 1,2,3 ladders front squat with 2x20kg KB + press

Tuesday 31.05.2011
Weight 81.1 kg

Meal 1
Shake w 2 scoops protein powder
1 whole raw egg
2 scoops fibre
2 tbsp cocoa
1/2 grapefruit

Meal 2
120g turkey breast
handfull blackberries

Meal 3
Cup cabbage and lettuce 2 tbsp mayo
120 g tuna canned

Meal 4
120 g turkey breast
handfull black berries

Meal 5
Other half of the morning shake.

Exercise
1.5 hours wrestling/grappling training

Wednesday 01/06.2011

Weight morning 79.8 kg

Meal 1
Shake 2 eggs
2 scoops protein
1 spoon cocoa
2 spoons fibre

Meal 2
120 g lean turkey breast
50 g blue berries

Meal 3
100 grams rare tuna
tomato salsa
cup celery and lettuce 2 tbsp mayo

Meal 4
100 g lean turkey breast
50 g black berries

Meal 5
150 g cod fish stewed with onion tomatoes, olive oil
50 g brown rice

Exercise
5 x (20 KB swings, 10 goblet squats)
3 x (1,2,3 ladder, front squat, press with 2 x 20kg KB)
3 x (10 woodchops, 6 lat pulldowns)
FM exercises

M1
2 yolks 3 egg white omellete
1/2 grapefruit

M2
100 g turkey breast
50 g black/blue berries

M3
Stewed Cod fish with onions
20 g rice

M4
100 grams turley breast
150 g raw brocolli

M5
Bannana

M6
Shake with 2 eggs raw
1 scoop protein
1 scoop cocoa poweder

Exercise

Morning
5 x 60m sprints
10 squats
10 push ups

Night
1 hour BJJ training

Meal 1
3 x eggs omellete
1/2 grapefruit

Meal 2
120 g turkey crumbed in coconut and nuts shallow fried
50 g rice
200 g spinach
15 g butter

Meal 3
120 g turkey crumbed in coconut, nuts, shallow fried
50 g rice
100 g brocolli

Meal 4
1 small pizza bread w cheese, garlic
1 chicken breast
Salad, mayo

Exercise
4 x 5 DLs @ 110 kg
4 x 10 calf raises
4 x 5 weighted pull ups and dips @ 20kg
4 x 5 bench press
4 x 10 goblet squats @ 20kg

Meal 1
Coffee 2 sugars
2 slices wholemeal bread w cheese, ham, mustard

Meal 2
2 slices wholemeal bread w cheese, ham, mustard
2 apples

Meal 3
2 slices cheese
2 slices ham

Meal 4
Mixed seafood platter
Pork belly w potatoes, green beans

Meal 1

50ml yoghurt
100 grams chicken breast
1 slice bacon

Meal 2

2 slices bread w butter and cheese

Meal 3

3 pieces rocky road

Meal 4

Carrot pieces with hommus

Meal 5
75 g chocolate
Large coffee

Meal 6

125 ml vanilla ice cream
1 apple

Exercise

40 squats
40 pushups

Meal 1

2 x apple
large Mocha
Coffee 1 sugar

Meal 2

Salad w 100 g spinach
120 g tuna
75 g beans
Olive oil
Dessicated coconut, peanuts

Meal 3
1/2 of above meal

Meal 4
120 g smoked chicken breast
1 tbsp fibre in water and orange juice

Meal 5
100 g smoked salmon breast
100 grams raw brocolli

Exercise

4x8 reverse lunges w 2x 16 kg
4x10 bent over rows @ 50kg
4x10 push press w 2 x 16 kg
4x10 b-curls @ 30 kg
4x10 HLR

Weight 80.9 kg

Meal 1
1 banana
coffee w milk

Meal 2
200g halibut pan fried
Leeks
Zucchini

Meal 3
Cup cabbage and lettuce w 2 tbsp mayo
100 grams Tuna
1 can Coke Zero

Meal 4
100 grams smoked salmon
150 g broccoli

REST

Meal 1
2 yolks 3 egg whites omelette 10 g butter
1/3 grapefruit
coffee

Meal 2

190 g Turkey breast
6 strawberries

Meal 3
200 ml coconut + chicken soup

Meal 4

1 cup cabbage and lettuce
120 g canned tuna in water

Meal 5

70g chocolate
Shake with Ice V Diet

Exercise

4 x 5 Fsquats @ 70kg
4 x 5 dips @ 20 kg weighted
5x4 chin ups @ 20 kg weighted
4x5 BP @ 80kg

Weight 79.9kg

Meal 1
V-Diet Shake
Meal 2
150 g turkey
100 g brocolli
6 strawberries
Meal 3
200 ml pumpkin and lamb soup
Meal 4
150 g turkey breast
100 g brocolli
Meal 5
130 g turkey breast
50 g brocolli
40 g chocolate

Exercise
4X10 incline bp
5 x 10 swings
2 GUPS
3 x 6 single hand DLs each side @ 40 kg
6 between the leg DLs @ 80 kg
3 x 10 renegade rows with push ups 12kg bells

Meal 1
coffee 2 sugars
3 egg omellette w mushrooms
100 g bread
50 g bacon
50g pate
20 g butter
1 croissant

Meal 2

[quote]AndreiG wrote:
Finally I am fed up with always doing things to 80%, or near enough good enough standard. For the amount of work and exercise I do, I really don’t see the results I want. [/quote]

Always a B student…

I said in one of my posts that if you do this 80%, you get about 50% of the results.

If you’ll commit and follow through on this, it can change your life.

Good luck.

Thanks for that.

Yep, more than anything, this is a test of whether I can commit to something 100%, not just 80 or 90 or 99.

Thanks for the comment.

Best of luck, the hardest part is starting, so your already half way there. Its a tough first week i tell you no lies, but once you get accustimed to low to 0 carbs you’ll be grand, Just finished my V-diet today, will post up details shortly.

x 2 Reactiontm

Botastic…I assume it was hard to cut out the Guinness? Truly one of my favourites that will not have to take a backseat for a while.

In general how was it to cut out all alcohol for a month. I don’t remember a month where I have not had at least 1 drink of some kind.

[quote]AndreiG wrote:
In general how was it to cut out all alcohol for a month. I don’t remember a month where I have not had at least 1 drink of some kind.[/quote]

How bad do you want to acheive your goals? If you are truly serious, then cutting out the things that are bad for you isn’t that hard at all.

This needs to happen so V-Diet takes priority over everything else. If I can’t do it for a month it’s a pretty poor effort on my side.

[quote]AndreiG wrote:
In general how was it to cut out all alcohol for a month. I don’t remember a month where I have not had at least 1 drink of some kind.[/quote]

It was tough as you know we Irish like our few pints, but as Hockeydawg says, i really wanted to change my bad habits so bit the bullet, no alcohol in 5 weeks, which is good for me, i think i’ll stay off it, i don’t miss it.

Day 1 of the V-Diet.

Here we go, had a shake for Meal number 1 and could barely get it all down, kind of felt sick after, possibly need to reduce the ice, add more water.

Pea and mint soup? That sounds good, I’m going to try that.

Hey, I’m with you regarding cold-turkey alcohol. I’ve had some cold-turkey caffeine withdrawal headaches this week, too.

Got through 3.5 shakes only and the Surge recovery before during and after training. Shakes were just too filling and I felt sick and close to throwing up after eating them. There was absolutely no way I could get any more down. Will need to work on that.

Surge recovery is hard to get down as well, much too sweet so had to dilute a number of times to make it palatable.

Overall felt ok but not exactly looking forward to the next 27 days.

Work out felt good and fairly strong. Energy levels decent during the work out.

Second day

Short kettle bell work out instead of NEPA planned, cannot give up the KBs.

Shake seems to be a little easier to handle with less flaxseed and no ice.

3 shakes down 2 to go.

5.51 am day 3. Just about to blend another batch of chocolaty goodness. I think I should have ordered a few more flavours rather than 10 tubs of chocolate flavour.

Second session of the V-Diet work out is coming up, so far energy levels have held up and no real issues with the shakes apart from a slightly nauseous feeling most of the day :slight_smile:

Really hit the wall this morning. Woke up at 0400 and could not go back to sleep. Dragged my arse out of bed, barely kept down the morning shake. No energy at all, I think mostly due to lack of sleep and maybe partly to do with the diet. Did my NEPA in the gym as we had a near to tropical cyclone type rain in Holland today. Walked, some stretches and movement drills from Pavel’s super joints. Seem to have woken me up slightly but still feel shit.

Hunger does not seem to be a problem so far (day 4) but I feel nauseous almost all of the time. I also crave hot food like soup. Even though I am sure the shakes have all I need, they just don’t feel like food. Maybe it’s a mind thing.

Today is no exercise day so going to try to get through the work day, then get some rest.

[quote]AndreiG wrote:

Really hit the wall this morning. Woke up at 0400 and could not go back to sleep. Dragged my arse out of bed, barely kept down the morning shake. No energy at all, I think mostly due to lack of sleep and maybe partly to do with the diet. Did my NEPA in the gym as we had a near to tropical cyclone type rain in Holland today. Walked, some stretches and movement drills from Pavel’s super joints. Seem to have woken me up slightly but still feel shit.

Hunger does not seem to be a problem so far (day 4) but I feel nauseous almost all of the time. I also crave hot food like soup. Even though I am sure the shakes have all I need, they just don’t feel like food. Maybe it’s a mind thing.

Today is no exercise day so going to try to get through the work day, then get some rest.[/quote]

Not sure if this idea will help with the hot but I remember reading you can make a hot chocolate shake as well. I’m tempted to try it but I don’t think I wanna take the risk just yet :stuck_out_tongue:

Day 8 for me and I just had my first “shaken” shake instead of blending it! Surprise, its way better though! I’m sure that naeseous feeling will pass in time! Stay strong!

Shaken in a shaker goes down waaaaay easier than ice blended, just that ice blended feels a bit more like a meal, if I am hungry I tend to blend if i just need to chug it, then I shake.

Today was a total write off, I am falling asleep all day.

Day 5.

Got about 12 hours sleep last night, that seemed to make a big difference, feel a lot better and energy levels up. No hunger, not much nausea. Maybe getting used to the shakes.

Looking forward to a steak at some point this weekend though.

Today is training day and DLs are on the menu.

A few more photos, this is about 2 weeks ago. @ around 81 kg