Biotest

Third Time Through

I am on day five of my third V-diet - with the other two times proving extremely successful.

On my first effort, I started at 198 and lost 23 lbs of fat. On my second effort, probably a bit more than a year later, after a seemingly unsatisfying effort to gain muscle, I started at 191 and lost 13 lb of fat. It is probably worth mentioning that DEXA scans showed that I’d actually gained 10 lb of LBM in between, getting bodyfat under 7%, it just wasn’t obvious to me.

I maintained close to this level of bodycomp for at least a couple of years and then some fundamentals abruptly changed and I did not change well with them.

This time, I am entering the process from a slightly different place. Life has intruded and I have not been reliably exercising, or in control of my diet. At 39, my body needs more discipline around flexibility and I need a reset. For me the V-diet has been a good programmatic way of getting all of those components fixed in a holistic way.

So far, because I don’t have the training base that I’ve previously had, I am more tired and sore than on the previous journeys. Compliance to the diet is easy - because I know I can do it. Sure I’m a bit hungry - I was the other two times too.

Started on Monday at 186. I expect the weight loss to be more modest as my untrained body restocks local glycogen stores. I will exit the diet with my exercise, diet and flexibility habits reprogrammed.

V is for Victory.

“For me the V-diet has been a good programmatic way of getting all of those components fixed in a holistic way.”

Nice way of saying that.

Glad to have you on board. (Again.)

Forgive me, Shugart, for I have sinned. It has been 9 days since my last confession.
I am doing very well, and have had lots of time to contemplate the interesting journey of the V-Diet.

Psychologically, I am solid. I am finding that I have even less support in my marriage for my V-Diet this time - even though we’ve been through it twice before. My wife started throwing up chaff about yo-yo dieting, fundamentally unsafe approach, bad message to the kids, etc.

By the end of last week we’d reached a standoff with grudging respect for my willpower. She doesn’t understand, but she will forget as long as I am happier and I believe I will be upon exit.

I’ve had many more social engagements on this V-diet than on previous. For example, I have a buddy who’s leaving town who wanted to go to happy hour. I drank water, he drank beer and I paid. We had a good time. We also went to meet a group of families for the first time where incredible barbeque was served. I had a shake before and after and drank a LOT of water.

In both cases, I was asked what I was doing and I described it as a cleanse - in part because at 6’0" and about 10% body fat, it’s a difficult explanation; and in part because it’s actually more accurate. I am cleansing myself of some unwanted fat, some bad eating habits and some bad workout and lifestyle habits.

As expected, I am only down about 5 lbs. as of this morning, but the eye test says that my serratus, obliques and lower sections of my abs are much more visible and vascularity is developing broadly. I am much tighter. Workouts have been great, I’ve stretched at least twice a day and I feel better in the mornings. HSMs have been great - spinach with garlic is a wonder.

I’ve also been giving a lot of thought to why I am doing this again. I think the trap for me has been to try to gain muscle some time after completing the diet. This inevitably leads to my bringing carbs up and taking energy system work down to try to create the surplus.

I think the answer in my forties is going to be to train more like a fighter - good diet and flexibility, explosive gym work and a better focus on energy systems through intervals and fun cardio. Training Tae Kwon Do with my kids seems like part of the future.
Halfway through the 28.

Chris - I am curious about MAG-10 Pulse Fast and the new protocol that you’re playing with. I have both MAG-10 and Anaconda unused in my pantry. Do you think it would be helpful with what I’m doing here? Is there any useful data I could generate by doing so?

On the road to transition.

@drewmoore - Since this is your third time through you could play with the pulse fast.

The pulse fast seems to be about a weeks worth of normal V-diet for those that have been through it before. So it will speed results for sure. Anaconda is always good - but because of the creatine it could cause water bloat. I’d probably skip it during the V-Diet.

Maybe run the pulse fast during transition phase.

Just my thoughts

Thanks Corstijeir - I will put in a couple of Pulse Fasts in the back half of my program and report back. Since I’m already loading my Surge with creatine, I’m not worried about the Anaconda bloat.

I completed a Pulse Fast yesterday - day 18 of this V-diet.

Mechanically it was similar to any other V-diet day. I was surprised that I was not particularly hungry though I suspect that, similar to the V-diet, had I strayed too far from the prescribed 2 hour intervals that I would have been in a world of hurt.

My energy level was pretty good and mental acuity in the morning was particularly good. I’m sure the Power Drive in the morning bottle helps with that. It the afternoon I felt a little foggy - similar to how I feel on the first and second day of the V-diet itself. This was gone shortly after starting my NEPA walk at 4pm - during which I felt good. This was a non-weight workout Thursday.

I don’t put much stock in day-to-day weight measurements though I did want to note what I saw so that I can compare with any future Pulse Fasts. For reference, in my previous 2 V-diets, I have lost between 1 and 2 pounds of scale weight per week in the third week - with subsequent weeks approaching a constant 1 pound loss. The difference in scale readings before and after the Pulse Fast - in as similar conditions as possible - was a drop of 2.4 pounds. It will be very interesting to see what happens over the next few days and in my weekly weigh in on Monday morning.

Based on this, I may try a Monday weight workout day Pulse Fast with Anaconda next week or the following replacing my first day of Transition.

First pass I am surprised and encouraged by this tool as a way to invigorate later stage V-diet results.

Day 22 - More than 90 miles of NEPA in the books. 10 excellent workouts - I dig front squats on a 15 second rest. Three good HSMs, 43 stretching sessions and one piece of curiosity - what is the effect of the Pulse Fast?

My weigh in this morning was within 0.2 lb of my weigh in the week before. All measurements went down in the right places and again - mirror test says I’m leaner. I was also very fatigued on Saturday, Sunday and Monday and had muscle soreness that is hard to explain from exercise or general activity.

I’m going to run the playbook again this Thursday and see what happens. I would say that there was probably a small positive effect on body composition that is difficult to evaluate given measurement variance and such a small time sample - need more data.

[quote]drewmoore867 wrote:
Day 22 - More than 90 miles of NEPA in the books. 10 excellent workouts - I dig front squats on a 15 second rest. Three good HSMs, 43 stretching sessions and one piece of curiosity - what is the effect of the Pulse Fast?

My weigh in this morning was within 0.2 lb of my weigh in the week before. All measurements went down in the right places and again - mirror test says I’m leaner. I was also very fatigued on Saturday, Sunday and Monday and had muscle soreness that is hard to explain from exercise or general activity.

I’m going to run the playbook again this Thursday and see what happens. I would say that there was probably a small positive effect on body composition that is difficult to evaluate given measurement variance and such a small time sample - need more data.[/quote]

The pulse fasts basically preps the body to burn fat and after the fast when you eat a meal that meal is super charged and goes straight to work burning fat, building muscle.

Day 29 - beginning Transition.

I did complete a second Pulse Fast on Thursday - Day 25. The experience through the weekend was identical to the first pulse fast - more tired and sore than normal V-diet experience. Slightly more hungry. The other thing I would say about the experience of a pulse fast is that you have to emotionally manage yourself toward the end of the day.

I was very short tempered both times with my children and really had to make sure that I acted like an adult when they pushed my buttons. Other note from the pulse fast - I have a tendency toward IBS. Both pulse fasts significantly quieted my digestion. This was an unexpected and appreciated side effect.

Weighed in this morning at 178.2 - I can’t see my original number while writing this but I believe that’s 8.4 lb of bodyweight and I suspect that I’ve added a little lean mass. I will likely schedule another DEXA scan at the end of transition to see exactly where I’ve ended.

My flexibility as a result of my stretching program is MUCH better - though my low and mid back is still extremely inflexible especially first thing in the morning. Workouts have been good.

I’m starting to think about training two weeks from now and planning complexes with short rest and power moves along with some interval training.

Feeling good.

Day 36 - beginning the second week of transition. Weight at 178.0, waist down a half inch from last week and upper abs area down a quarter inch so I am still shedding unwanted fat.

My workouts continue to be really good, I’m still enjoying and invigorated by my daily walk and my flexibility continues to get better and better. It is truly amazing what a month of dedicated work on flexibility will do.

I plan to add breakfast as my second HSM this week. Lots of omelettes in the plan.

Doing great. 9 days until I turn 40…

A final post on this edition of the V-Diet. Though I officially completed last week, I’m doing the same thing that I’ve done in the previous 2 which is going into an extended transition where I still have 3 shakes in the day and fill in healthy solid meals around them. I am slowly bringing up calories so that I can support the higher level of activity in my workout - 3 days of total body strength, 3 days of energy systems training and I’ve also added a couple of days a week of martial arts.

I’ve changed my workout nutrition to take advantage of the MAG-10, Anaconda, Workout Fuel and FINiBARs that I have on hand. Something in that cocktail is messing with my digestion - I suspect the FINiBARs - so that’s something to work out next week.

On the scale today at 177.2 - so almost 9 pounds of fat trimmed. Waist (over navel) is at 33" down from 36" at the beginning.

My flexibility is probably the most drastic difference. At the beginning of my program I couldn’t quite touch my toes in a standing hamstring stretch. I can now almost put my palms flat on the floor. My psoas and periformis are much looser and I can really home in on the way that my glutes pull on my low back and immobilize it - I’ve been finding deeper and deeper glute stretches to rectify that imbalance.

Sprint intervals today - should be fun. Need to schedule the DEXA just for academic interest and drag my friend PosterChild down there to see what Indigo is doing to him.