Biotest

The Volumized Cheeseburger

[center] The Volumized Cheeseburger [/center]
One of my core dietary principals is this:

Portion control is a fine idea, but it seldom works in real life. In fact, the failure rate is incredibly, ridiculously high.

If portion-control diets were new Ford vehicles, they’d be immediately recalled and Ford would be sued out of existence. Yet for some reason people keep listening to dieticians… all of whom seem to be 30 pounds overweight, but I digress.

A better plan for long-term leanness and full-time abs is to eat a whole lot of healthy foods: a volumized diet. Here’s my full <a href="http://www.tmuscle.com/free_online_article/sports_body_training_performance_nutrition/volumize_your_diet"target=“new”>ARTICLE on this idea.

It’s simple really: By choosing the right foods and learning your way around the kitchen a bit, you can eat a lot of tasty food (as we all enjoy doing) without getting fat. You do this by making healthy food with a lower caloric impact. The result: you get satiated (full), you get your cravings satisfied, you provide everything you need for muscle-growth and properly-fueled workouts, yet you don’t take in excess calories and get chubby/unhealthy/un-laid.

Anyway, check out that article link above if you missed it. Now, let’s get to the grub.

Here’s a simple way to chow down on some mighty tasty bacon cheeseburgers without looking like a rotund dietician.

[center] Volumized Bacon Cheeseburger [/center]
Ingredients:

Extra lean ground turkey
Turkey bacon
1 omega-3 egg
Gluten-free hamburger bun (or go bun-less and wrap in lettuce)
Fat-free Swiss cheese
Olive oil mayo
1 avocado
1 chipotle pepper in adobo sauce (found in cans in international section of food stores)
Veggie toppings of choice

Directions:

1. Dump the ground turkey into a bowl and crack the egg into it. Mix well with your hands, then form into patties. Add salt, pepper, or any other herbs and spices you want at this time. I like a little worcestershire sauce.

2. Pop patties on your grill. While they’re grilling, mix the olive-oil mayo with a mashed avocado and a finely diced chipotle pepper. (Just play with the amounts here. I use very little mayo.) This is going to become your new favorite burger spread! A food processor will make quick work of this, but you can do it by hand too.

3. Cook the turkey bacon.

4. Pop the buns onto the grill for a few seconds to heat them up and get them slightly crisp, then add the cheese to the patties during their last few minutes of cooking.

5. Assemble burger, add any veggies you want, and enjoy.

Notes:

• All we’ve done here is substitute lower-calorie ingredients in for higher-calorie choices, mainly through the use of lean turkey instead of beef and pork. Compared to a regular bacon cheeseburger burger we save about half the calories while keeping the volume of food very high. You’ll get just as full with about half the cals.

• The egg adds moisture, protein, and good fats. This is the secret to making a good turkey burger.

• We’ve also increased the quality of the fats by using olive oil mayo and avocado.

• The chipotle adds tons of flavor and heat, making you not miss the greasiness of a regular burger.

• Gluten-free buns remove the wheat, which is bad for you in numerous ways. See the book Wheat Belly for more info.

I really think volumized eating is the key to getting lean and staying lean. If you can get full and eat tasty food like bacon cheeseburgers for half the calories – while at the same time getting healthier stuff into your body – then you’re on the road to a longer life and long-term abs.

Yes, you can haz cheezeburger.

I always hate it when people say, “Well, Chris, I could have a six-pack too if I ate carrot sticks all day like you.”

Does this look like carrot sticks, bub?

Geeze, you topped it with an entire tomato!

wow…that’s really cool.

You gave me my dinner for tonight!

these bad boys look like awesome post workout meal ? just out of interest how long did it take you to become a pro in the kitchen ?

Chris, you had me at “I can haz cheezeburger.”

nom nom nom…(burp)!

Another way to volumize burgers is to shredd apples, onions, zuchinnis and mix it with the meet.

Personaly I use:

1lb Extra Lean Sirloin
1 large apple shredded in a food processor (try to leave as much moisture as possible in the pood processor)
1 medium onion shredded or chopped
1 egg
toasted chopped walnuts or pecans
couple shots of worchester sauce

Mix this shit all together in a large bowl and make patties out of it.

The benefits (beyond this being one of the best burgers you will ever eat) is increase volume of good stuff in the apple and onion less saturated fat. More Fiber. More Healthy Fats. In therory there is less protien.

The problems are that the mix gets a little soft if it has too much moisture. I have been trying to come up with something to add to stiffen it up–traditionally bread crumbs are used and do work well. But if anyone has any ideas for this I would love to hear them.

These look really good!! Question though, is the olive oil mayo store bought or homemade?

[quote]ndiddy85 wrote:
These look really good!! Question though, is the olive oil mayo store bought or homemade?[/quote]

You can it at your regular supermarket or Wal-Mart. Don’t know if Shugart uses Hellmans, but they make it too.

[quote]Pologazz wrote:
just out of interest how long did it take you to become a pro in the kitchen ?[/quote]

I’ve been cooking for about 3 years now. Best thing I’ve ever learned to do, physique and health-wise.

[quote]BigJawnMize wrote:
Another way to volumize burgers is to shredd apples, onions, zuchinnis and mix it with the meet.

Personaly I use:

1lb Extra Lean Sirloin
1 large apple shredded in a food processor (try to leave as much moisture as possible in the pood processor)
1 medium onion shredded or chopped
1 egg
toasted chopped walnuts or pecans
couple shots of worchester sauce

Mix this shit all together in a large bowl and make patties out of it.

The benefits (beyond this being one of the best burgers you will ever eat) is increase volume of good stuff in the apple and onion less saturated fat. More Fiber. More Healthy Fats. In therory there is less protien.

The problems are that the mix gets a little soft if it has too much moisture. I have been trying to come up with something to add to stiffen it up–traditionally bread crumbs are used and do work well. But if anyone has any ideas for this I would love to hear them.[/quote]

Good ideas here. I also like to stick raw spinach into the food pro, then add that “paste” to the meat. Adds tons of good-for-ya-ness and some volume, and you really can’t taste it if you don’t like leafy greens.

The key with the additions is to keep the moisture low by draining/straining as much as possible. Use powdered flavorings instead of sauces, maybe even dried/dehydrated apples would work instead of fresh? If I use Rotel or sun-dried tomatoes in olive oil, I use a strainer then squeeze it dry. Also, if too moist, just use the egg yolk and not the white. That’ll add moisture and adhesiveness without getting the meat too wet.

And to get a good sear, the meat has to be dry on the outside. So pat them with paper towels before hitting the grill or pan.

Mayo is easy:

1 to 2 egg yolks
2 tablespoons mustard
Dash salt and pepper
juice from 1/2 lemon
1 to 1 1/2 cups olive oil

Put the yolks, mustard, SnP, and lemon juice in a blender on low and slowly drizzle in the olive oil until it forms up to look like mayo.

[quote]BigJawnMize wrote:
Mayo is easy:

1 to 2 egg yolks
2 tablespoons mustard
Dash salt and pepper
juice from 1/2 lemon
1 to 1 1/2 cups olive oil

Put the yolks, mustard, SnP, and lemon juice in a blender on low and slowly drizzle in the olive oil until it forms up to look like mayo. [/quote]

amart57: What he said above.

The storebought stuff is okay, but I find many of the “fat free” varieties are so chocked full of other crap that the calories saved are barely worth it. The olive-oil kinds are better, but it’s best to make them yourself. Also, beware: many “olive oil mayos” just use a little olive oil then other less-good oils to make up the difference. Gotta read those ingredient lists and pay attention to order.

Either way, I use very little mayo; it’s more of a medium for the mashed avocado, which used to be called “poor man’s butter” or “poor man’s mayo”, although these days they’re pretty pricey little bastards. For this recipe, buy them on the softer side.

Chris,

Have you ever made any recipes with the dairy product quark? I have never seen it mentioned on any American bodybuilding sites, but it is reasonably popular in the UK. It’s a soft cheese with nutritional stats very similar to cottage cheese, but with a little less carbs and and fat and with a much nicer texture. You can make dessert type protein meals with it.

[quote]andrewe123 wrote:
Chris,

Have you ever made any recipes with the dairy product quark? I have never seen it mentioned on any American bodybuilding sites, but it is reasonably popular in the UK. It’s a soft cheese with nutritional stats very similar to cottage cheese, but with a little less carbs and and fat and with a much nicer texture. You can make dessert type protein meals with it.[/quote]

Nope, that’s new to me. But I’ll look into it. Thanks!

[quote]andrewe123 wrote:
Chris,

Have you ever made any recipes with the dairy product quark? I have never seen it mentioned on any American bodybuilding sites, but it is reasonably popular in the UK. It’s a soft cheese with nutritional stats very similar to cottage cheese, but with a little less carbs and and fat and with a much nicer texture. You can make dessert type protein meals with it.[/quote]

Is this like the French dairy product called “fromage blanc” (literally, “white cheese”)? When I was living there, it was a perfect ingredient for dips and desserts. Besides, the 0% fat version didn’t have any added carbs.

Back to Chris’ post, volumizing rocks! I specially like giant salads with a lot of greens and spices. I mean GIANT.

[quote]Chris Shugart wrote:
I always hate it when people say, “Well, Chris, I could have a six-pack too if I ate carrot sticks all day like you.”

Does this look like carrot sticks, bub?
[/quote]

I can relate. People think you spend 30 hours a week in the gym and eat unappetizing foods… if only they knew. Good post Mr. Shugart.