Biotest

The Old Man and the V

This thread will pick up from the earlier thread entitled “Day One” And this will be the location for all new posts following this 68 year-old who believes it’s never too late to improve.

Day 2 is in the books. A couple of shake prep tips… thanks to others on this forum… add plenty of ice cubes and a healthy sprinkle of cinnamon.
Energy really good-- NEPA fast walk of 4 miles. Hunger between shakes not an issue to-date. Looking forward to workout Intermediate #2 tomorrow.

Day 3 and Waterbury workout handed me my a–. Now I know just how quickly strict, shortened rest periods can up the ante.

Here are the numbers:
Reverse DB Lunges @25#: 8-8-8-6-5-5 (each leg)
DB Bent-over Rows @40#: 8-8-8-8-8
DB Push Presses @35#: 8-8-8-8-8
Barbell Curls @60#: 8-8-8-8-8
Reverse Crunches(slant board) @BW: 10-10-10-10

NEPA today was up to 9009 steps mostly from a 3-mile walk.

Finally, the workout does seem to have ratcheted up hunger–For the first time I was real hungry by the time the dinner shake rolled around.

This is gonna work.

Outstanding! There is a lot to be said about following the directions to the “t”! I was beginning week two (same workout as week #1) and resting 45 seconds…until I looked at the top of the workout sheet and it listed the rest time as 40 seconds…yikes! Keeping with the prescribing rest period kicks my butt!

Keep believing…keep pushing…reach the first summit! You can do it!

[quote]jpfowler73 wrote:
Outstanding! There is a lot to be said about following the directions to the “t”! I was beginning week two (same workout as week #1) and resting 45 seconds…until I looked at the top of the workout sheet and it listed the rest time as 40 seconds…yikes! Keeping with the prescribing rest period kicks my butt!

Keep believing…keep pushing…reach the first summit! You can do it![/quote]

Knowing that people are watching does help me to keep on plan… and encouragement like this is a bonus. Thanks Joe.

Day 4 done. Very mellow. A leisurely 7800 steps for NEPA. Some pullups, decline pushups and band work just to keep the blood flowing.

Back in the gym for Day 5. Handled Intermediate #3 45 second rest periods better today… maybe starting to acclimate.

Here are the numbers:
Barbell Deadlift @135#: 8-8-8-8-8
Decline DB Bench Press-Neutral Grip @40#: 8-8-8-8-8*
Lat Pulldown-Neutral Grip @130#: 8-8-8-8-8
Hand Walkout @BW: 8-8-8-8-8
*sticking with DB alternative for most moves to save old man shoulders. DB weights are for each of two db’s lifted.

NEPA today: 9300+ steps

Of note-- Energy levels increasing daily–of course my schedule is much more structured, and that’s also making me fix my bad sleep habits.
Finally, has anyone else experienced a sharpened sense of smell?

Day 6 winding down. V-Burn #1 and a New World Record… for 68 year old tigerfish who smoked for 47 years…
(Quit in 2007–much harder than V-diet.)
Here’s how it went:
Circuit 1: 5 min work; 4 min rest.
Circuit 2: 6 min work; 3 min rest.
Circuit 3: 8 min work; 5 min rest.
Circuit 4: 9 min work; 5 min rest.
Circuit 5: 9 min work. The end.
This has got to improve!
Moved HSM to today-- tomorrow will be too complicated with one grandchild’s flag football super bowl, another’s lacrosse championship and a third’s birthday. Should be plenty of NEPA walking the sidelines. HSM consisted of a big ol ribeye, roasted vegetables and a baby spinach, peppers and tomatoes salad.
NEPA today only 6300 steps.

Day 7. Busy grandchild day, but stuck with the program. AM weigh-in showed 187#. That’s a loss of 3# in Week One. Color me pleased.

Good Day 8.

Intermediate #5 Workout:
V-Squat @250#: 5-5-5-5
Chin-ups @BW: 5-4-4-4-3
DB Bench @55#: 5-5-5-5
Ab-Wheel Roll-out @BW: 5-5-5-5

Shakes and supplements per plan. NEPA 10,100+ steps. Energy and mood are elevated on workout days.

Day 9 (6-12-2012) uneventful. No cravings. NEPA (treadmill, pouring outside, b-o-r-r-r-i-n-g) 8800+ steps.

Day 10 (and still raining, aaargh). Back in the gym.

Intermediate #6 (40 sec rest) Workout:
Reverse DB Lunges @30#: 6-6-6-6-4-4-4-4
DB Bent-over Row @40#: 8-8-8-8-8
DB Push Press @40#: 8-8-8-8-8*
Barbell Curl @70#: 6-6-6-4-4-5-5-4
Reverse Crunch (Slantboard) @BW: 10-10-10-10
*left shoulder tender

NEPA interrupted (family) at 4000+ steps.

Day 11.
Relaxed day.
Shakes and supplements went down easy.
Sun out, walked the beach and marina.
NEPA 11,800 steps.
Added a TV watching get-off-the-couch program.
1) Control the Remote-- Put the remote near the tv and get up and walk to it for all channel, volume and search changes.
2) Are you gonna sit there and watch that?-- Get up and do something, anything, when commercials are on.
3) Permission to sit Sir?-- Do a squat or a pushup or a lunge whenever you’re about to sit down…then sit.

Woke up for Day 12 (06/15) feeling under the weather–scratchy throat and stuffed up head.
Feels like something other than a cold.

NEPA–10549 steps-- most in the hot sun helped some.

Afternoon gym workout Intermediate #7.
BB Deadlift @155#: 8-8-8-8-8
Decline DB Bench Press @40#: 8-8-8-8-8
Lat Pulldown @150#: 8-8-7-6-6-5
Hand Walkout @BW: 10-10-10-10
40 second rests manageable.

Day 13 (Sat 06/16) still a little shaky–probably IS a cold-- so putting off V-Burn until tomorrow.

NEPA 10051 steps at the beach in the am.

Late day activity killed by that major time-suck called TV coverage of the US Open.

Day 14 AM Weigh-in !85#—2# less than Day 7 and total of -5# since starting.

Picked up the pace (vs Week 1, Day 6) on the V-Burn Challenge:
Circuit 1: 3 min work; 3 min rest.
Circuit 2: 4 min work; 4 min rest.
Circuit 3: 4 min work; 4 min rest.
Circuit 4: 5 min work; 5 min rest.
Circuit 5: 5 min work; end.

HSM delicious turkey breast, dry sweet potato, baby spinach salad with hard-boiled eggs and grilled shrimp.

Damn good Father’s Day.

Outstanding! Great weight loss and outstanding improvement with the v-challenge. Keep up the great work and can’t wait to hear about your HSM young man!

[quote]jpfowler73 wrote:
Outstanding! Great weight loss and outstanding improvement with the v-challenge. Keep up the great work and can’t wait to hear about your HSM young man![/quote]

Thanks jp. This stuff helps me keep on keepin’ on. (That Day 14 turkey HSM and that salad were just as good as I dreamed all week).

Day 15 Intermediate Workout #9 (20 sec rest between sets):
V Squat @270#: 5-4-4-3-4.
Chin-up @BW: 5-4-3-3-4-1
DB Bench @60#: 5-5-5-5
Ab-Wheel Rollout @BW: 5-5-5-5

NEPA 10,423 steps.

Day 16 and just finished Shake No. 5. Who knew Cashew Nut Butter could be such a taste sensation?

Added some foam rolling and mobility work (sourced from Eric Cressey’s programs) before heading out for NEPA walking 10,476 steps.

Day 17 (06/20/2012) Family business called me out of town with no opportunity for working out and NEPA of only 5100+ steps as part of the day’s activities. Was able to stay on plan for shakes and supps. Rescheduling workout to tomorrow