Biotest

The Monkey's Log (Start: 6/29/2009)

I start my diet in a little less than a week, so I thought I’d go ahead and get ready to start logging.

I’ve been using the scale at my Gym, but, since the V-Diet wants me to weigh before breakfast, I’m going to switch to my B-Room scale. Prolly not as accurate, but, I’m sure the delta will be just fine. (It also has one of those fat calculators too – I’ll see how that percentage changes)

-Dave

All the best with it,i’m on day 14.If you can start experimenting with the workouts and the loads neede it will give you a boost for when you start.

[quote]burleywhite wrote:
All the best with it,i’m on day 14.If you can start experimenting with the workouts and the loads neede it will give you a boost for when you start.[/quote]

I wish I could. I’m leaving this AM on a business trip, and I return Saturday. My order will arrive Friday, so it will only sit on the porch for one day :frowning:

I know most of my loads . . been working out for a while . . but – some are new (like the dumbell squat . . I do 205# on a back squat for 8 rm – no idea what I can do on the dumbbell one!)

Since others are posting their reasons, I thought I’d post my “Why”:

I’ve always been a bit overweight. (Sometimes a lot, but, even when 18, a bit). But, I’ve also compensated for my girth with strength. I know it’s not the same, but, as long as I could bench my bodyweight, I wasn’t that unhealthy, right? – Hey – it’s my fantasy, I can tell myself anything I want.

Anyway, I went to Belieze for a vacation. It was an eco-friendly trip, so, they were very health and environmentally conscious. So were the patrons. For the first time, I was the fattest person in the room. (And, I’m comparing myself to the other tourists, not the natives.) But, I wasn’t too upset, because, of course, I’m still in decent shape (strong, and all that).

This lodge had a rope swing. But, when the water was up, you either had to climb up high on the rope, or raise your legs to clear the water. I could grab the rope pretty high. And, I could keep my arms mostly bent for the entire swing. But, I was never able to lift my legs up high enough, and long enough, to miss the water and finish the swing.

I doubt anyone else noticed, but I tried over and over, and was never able to do it. Not only was I the fattest guy – but I was the most out-of-shape guy at the lodge.

Yes sir, it is time for a change!

Ok – starting tomorrow! I have been eating extremely low carb the last 4-5 days, in preparation for the 6 weeks of suck I have ahead of me. And, even though I have not been able to lose weight with a 2000 calorie diet + working out, I dropped almost 7 lbs in the last 4 days going lo carb. Go figure :slight_smile:

Here are my measurements:

06/28/09

Height 5’9.5"
Weight 241.4
Bodyfat (Scale) 34.8
Neck 17
Shoulders 52.5
Chest - Upper 45
Chest - Lower 41.5
Waist - at Navel 44.5
Waist - at largest 46.5
Hips - at largest 46
Upper Arm - L 15
Upper Arm - R 15
Upper Leg - L 27.5
Upper Leg - R 27
Lower Leg - L 18
Lower Leg - R 18
Ankle - L 10
Ankle - R 10
Waist (Belt) 41
Total Inches 474.5

Sorry for the bad formatting, copied them out of my spreadsheet.

Ok – first morning, first workout . . . not a happy camper :frowning:

First, I wasn’t really happy with the shake. The blender made it huge (more than 32oz). So, I drank it slowly. Then something started congealing, triggering my gag reflex . . but I got it down.

I waited an hour, and went and worked out. Here’s what I did:

Dumbbell Squat @ 110# (biggest gym has)
20 17 3 – I need to find another workout for this
Dumbbell Bench Press @ 65#
9 7 6 4 4 3 3 3 1
Bent Over Row - Dumbbells @ 50#
8 9 9 9 5 – need to increase weight
Plank Hold
30s 15s 5s 5s gave up

By the end, I was feeling VERY nauseated. My HR got up to 188, which, I think, triggered it. I’m still pale, sweating and nauseated now :frowning:

Guess with the level of suck I’m in – it can only get better, right?

Here are the details of my workout, from my HR Monitor:

Hopefully my workout image will attach:

Here are my before pics. Let’s call them a motivation :slight_smile:

Friend i think you are going to do amazingly well on this lifestyle change.I predict by the end of the 6 weeks your chest will stick out over your stomach(side pic) and that cut just above your waist(back pic) will have gone.

Remember other people on her have done this and got great results and the chances are that some of them have less willpower than you when they started out.Give it everything you’ve got.Do the workouts 100% including the rests,it surprising how much humble pie you need to eat at the start of the workouts to truly move forward.I’ve trained for quite a while but the short rests ,new exercises and strict loads really kick your ego to one side.

look at your start pics when you are having a bad time/day and remember after this there will be no need to trick your mind that you’re healthy,you are going to get habits that last you a lifetime so YOU WILL BE HEALTHY IN ANYONES EYES(SERMON OVER…SORRY!!)

Most of the time the first three days of the diet are the hardest because of the adjustment period. It should get better.

Keep up the great work. I’ll be a week behind you.

Actually, I’ve been doing “the right thing” for a couple of months. Eating about 2000-2500 calories a day, and working out 4-5 days a week.

Also, before I started this, I went low (close to no) carb for 4-5 days. That meant that when I did start the diet, my carbs went WAY up. I have really had no issues. Here are the things that I have noticed, and mostly, not expected:

1. I miss working out every day. I feel like I’m slacking only working out 3 (4 with v-burn) days a week. But, on a good side, I’ve learned some great tricks that really kick my ass!

2. I’m NEVER hungry. In fact, I usually have to force myself to drink the shakes.

3. I crave foods, even though I’m not hungry. They aren’t strong cravings, just weird ones. The other day, I could actually “taste” a bar of string cheese . . . weird :slight_smile:

4. It is tough to get in the NEPA. I just bought EA Sports Active for the Wii to help me when I don’t get it in. Their little rubber band is so weak, it’s not really a workout – more of a slight aerobic thing. Seems to affect me about as much as a 2 mile walk.

Thanks so much for the support . . . I can always use it!

[quote]CodeMonkey wrote:
Ok – first morning, first workout . . . not a happy camper :frowning:

First, I wasn’t really happy with the shake. The blender made it huge (more than 32oz). So, I drank it slowly. Then something started congealing, triggering my gag reflex . . but I got it down.

I waited an hour, and went and worked out. Here’s what I did:

Dumbbell Squat @ 110# (biggest gym has)
20 17 3 – I need to find another workout for this
Dumbbell Bench Press @ 65#
9 7 6 4 4 3 3 3 1
Bent Over Row - Dumbbells @ 50#
8 9 9 9 5 – need to increase weight
Plank Hold
30s 15s 5s 5s gave up

By the end, I was feeling VERY nauseated. My HR got up to 188, which, I think, triggered it. I’m still pale, sweating and nauseated now :frowning:

Guess with the level of suck I’m in – it can only get better, right?

Here are the details of my workout, from my HR Monitor:
[/quote]

I know what you mean about the shakes getting larger. One fatal mistake it seems that everyone forgot to mention. 8oz. shakes grow to be 12oz. 16oz grow to be 22oz. 24oz with PB. It’s crazy!
I feel deceived…i had a difficult time getting shakes down for the first 3 days. My caloric intake dropped to probably 500-700. I felt drained and discouraged. It’s better now. Perhaps my body has adjusted. Now I’m just wanting food. It seems like you have a lot to lose, so I’m sure you’ll see the fat leaving you faster than some others on here. We’re all in this together though!

JUST REMEMBER the results are going to be spectacular! :slight_smile:

Slept in, and missed a meal today. Got in breakfast, my workout + Surge, and lunch, but ended up skipping snack after lunch.

I hope that’s ok.

Does anyone else simply LOVE sucking on the spoon after adding the peanutbutter into the shake? It’s the highlight of my day.

Oh – and real fun time today. I got to cook a nice home cooked meal for my son (wife and daughter are away). So, I made a nice salsbury steak (with buffalo), powdered mash potatoes, and microwaved brussel sprouts. (I said home cooked, not home made :slight_smile:

Man it was tough to cook a nice meal for him, and not even get a taste :frowning:

Even though I’m a dessert hound, we did a nepa walk to McDonalds, and I let him get an apple pie thingie – that was much easier to watch him eat than the meat + veggies. Weird.

Another strangeness: I’ve always HAD to have a diet coke. I can’t go to a store without getting one (For some reason, I like the bottles there better than cans). While I kind of miss them, I do not crave them. I really don’t get that part.

[quote]CodeMonkey wrote:

Does anyone else simply LOVE sucking on the spoon after adding the peanutbutter into the shake? It’s the highlight of my day.

[/quote]

My favourite part of the day as well!

Not quite the progress I expected, given that I dropped 6lbs off of 4 days of low-carb, but I’ll take it. I have weighted in lower, during the week, so some of this could have been caused by my HSM last night.

Don’t worry, I’m not giving up or anything . . . just expected more better faster results :slight_smile:

Keep on trucking, breakfast shake time!

Don’t worry about the scale weight…did you notice that you lost 1.5 inches off your waist? What’s wrong with that kind of progress for a week? :slight_smile:

Yeah the inches you’re dropping are way more telling than the scale weight.

7 total inches is awesome. Keep grinding brutha.

[quote]FGG wrote:
Don’t worry about the scale weight…did you notice that you lost 1.5 inches off your waist? What’s wrong with that kind of progress for a week? :-)[/quote]

Honestly, no I didn’t! I was more concerned with the pants size measurement. . . . losing belly is better though!

Thanks for the reality check!

I heard all of the complaints about the V-Burn . . . I should have known you weren’t all wusses. Damn that sucked BAD. I did it in 31:12, but that was with some rest . . . lest I die.

I didn’t realize how bad the hand walk outs would be. And the guy in the video must be some kind of monster.

I could barely make it very far out, before my hands and knees would start slipping, or my “girth” would hit the floor . . . any suggestions? And, on the v-burn, are you supposed to follow the directions of doing it twice, or do it the 10 times?

I also noticed I did twice as many lunges as I was supposed to . .

Are we supposed to do single leg deadlifts as described in the text, or like the video – I did like the video, which was more of a toe touch than a dead lift.