Biotest

The 3 Amigos V-Diet

[Starting pics UP]
[Week 1 pics UP]
[Week 2 pics UP]
[Week 3 pics UP]

My two roommates and I are all doing the V-Diet. We don’t have a scale at home, so we’re going to be focusing on pics, measurements, and fuck-ups (cough Mike cough).

We’re going on a cruise in 7 weeks, and we’re all determined to get in good shape for it.

For the pictures, we have the camera spot and standing spot marked, and will be taking weekly pics with the same clothes on, so we are guaranteed to get a good comparison from week to week

Stats/pics are now hosted elsewhere and linked here, because T-Nation’s image uploading tool will not allow me to upload high-res images:

Josh

~204 lbs
39 hips
40 waist
43.25 chest
15.75 arms
17.25 neck

39 hips (0)
38 waist (-2)
42.5 chest (-.75)
15.6 arms (-.15)
16.6 neck (-.65)

38.25 hips (-.75)
37.4 waist (-.6)
42 chest (-.5)
15.4 arms (-.2)
16.6 neck (0)

37 hips (-1.25)
36.2 waist (-1.2)
15.2 arms (-.2)
16.25 neck (-.35)

Mike

~203 lbs
37 hips
35 waist
41.25 chest
17 arms
16 neck

35.8 hips (-1.2)
34.5 waist (-.5)
41.75 chest (+.5)
16.75 arms (-.25)
15.8 neck (-.2)

35.8 hips (0)
34.5 waist (0)
40.75 chest (-1)
16.75 arms (0)
15.5 neck (-.3)

35.5 hips (-.3)
34 waist (-.5)
16.5 arms (-.25)
15.5 neck (0)

Jeremy

~215 lbs
37.5 hips
35.5 waist
44 chest
15.75 arms
16.5 neck

36.5 hips (-1)
35.6 waist (+.1)
44.25 chest (+.25)
15.75 arms (0)
16.25 neck (-.25)

36.5 hips (0)
35 waist (-.6)
44.25 chest (0)
15.75 arms (0)
16.5 neck (+.25)

35.75 hips (-.75)
34.5 waist (-.5)
15.6 arms (-.15)
16 neck (-.5)

35.75 hips (0)
34.25 waist (-.25)
43.75 chest (0)
15.6 arms (0)
16.25 neck (+.25)

Day 2:

I’m just now starting to feel hungry. We went out the day before starting this diet and had Kobe’s (hibachi grill), so I think the fullness I had from that is just now leaving.

I had a hard time sleeping last night. Took ZMA at 9:45 and didn’t get to sleep till 11. Woke up restless at 2:30 and fell in and out of sleep till I had to wake up at 6. Does anyone have any recommendations for getting better sleep?

Great to see you join the club! Its great that you’re doing this with your mates. My British friend is doing this with me and its great to have the accountability. Where are you going on your cruise? Helen

Helen,

Yeah, doing this with other people is the only way to go. We’re each throwing $200 into a pot, and the pot will be split by those who complete the 6 weeks.

We’re going on a 7-night cruise to Cozumel, Costa Maya, Belize City, and Nassau. I can’t wait. Thanks for posting

jeremy

Yeah Day 2 is WAY harder than day 1. I think that gigantic meals we had the day before we started definitely kept us satisfied until afternoon the next day. So far no deviations from the diet. These shakes really do keep you full longer than I expected. I know it’s only the 2nd day but I’m really excited about this diet and the challenge of it.

-Mike

There will be plenty of tough moments ahead, but fighting through them is part of the fun. I’ve found myself thinking about food a LOT. I’ve never been a big fan of junk food, so it’s usually good stuff like the SHMs. I did dream about Thai Fried Rice last night though. Nice and spicy.

Sorry, got off track there for a second. You guys started about a week after me. You all better be in when I’m done! :wink:

Thai food is my weakness too…Drunken Noodles with Beef, served Thai hot… that’s a solid 6 weeks away though. ;(

[quote]f3arless wrote:
Thai food is my weakness too…Drunken Noodles with Beef, served Thai hot… that’s a solid 6 weeks away though. ;([/quote]

pad ke mao with beef HOT is my favorite too! that and a bowl of tom yumm…luckily i moved to a place that doesn’t have thai food…so i only get it when i go back to chicago.

ok so tonight to fall asleep I’m going to take ZMA and melatonin. I’ll probably be a little groggy in the morning, but it will be worth it if I can get a full night’s sleep.

I can notice a small change in body composition after two days, but this is obviously only because I am losing water/glycogen quickly

What sort of lifting are you guys doing?

last night I got squats, bench, and row in. I did 5x5s on all, as heavy as I could go. I should probably try Waterbury’s workout (he’s the man), but I’m going to have trouble holding 3 machines/racks all for myself.

(I wanted to do DLs instead of squats, but josh bitched about how hard they are. waaa :slight_smile:

I wasn’t able to go quite as heavy as I normally do, but that’s to be expected when I’m on so few calories

gotta get josh and mike in there with me so we can just round robin them all and keep people from taking the machines

** edit **

I did two things to help myself get better sleep last night. I changed my last dose of HRX from 5p to 3p, and I took melatonin and ZMA. Between the two changes, I slept almost the whole night, waking up once to piss (but I fell back asleep right away). Tonight I’ll probably take ZMA only, so that I can tell if the main thing that affected me was the HRX timing.

IMO, I’d suggest doing the prescribed workouts. With three of you, it shouldn’t be hard to hold three “spots” in the gym.

The workouts Chad came up with for the V-Diet… were created specifically for the V-Diet.

Plus, when I did the diet I was in and out of the gym in 40-45 minutes including my warm up.

Good luck.

Day 3:

Woke up feeling way better than I did on day 2. I managed to get a solid 8 hours of sleep, and the 1 capsule of HOT-ROX didn’t hit me nearly as hard as it did yesterday. I think I may try jumping up to 2 HRX tonight and see how that goes.

I haven’t started the workout yet because I failed and only got 2 hours of sleep on Day 1. I took my evening HRX way too late and I just sat in bed staring at the ceiling all night.

[quote]aphelion wrote:
ok so tonight to fall asleep I’m going to take ZMA and melatonin. I’ll probably be a little groggy in the morning, but it will be worth it if I can get a full night’s sleep.

I can notice a small change in body composition after two days, but this is obviously only because I am losing water/glycogen quickly[/quote]

ZMA, or Z-12? Z-12’s the one for sleep.

[quote]rrjc5488 wrote:
IMO, I’d suggest doing the prescribed workouts. With three of you, it shouldn’t be hard to hold three “spots” in the gym.

The workouts Chad came up with for the V-Diet… were created specifically for the V-Diet.

Plus, when I did the diet I was in and out of the gym in 40-45 minutes including my warm up.

Good luck. [/quote]

This, definitely. Before I started, I was telling myself, “I think I’ll just stick to my 5x5 plan. After all, it’s heavy lifting, and it’s a good workout.”

I’m very glad I decided to do the Waterbury plan instead. It royally kicked my ass, even though I’m using 50% or less of my normal weight. For example, I’m doing the intermediate V-Diet workout. Monday, I did pullups with only 10 lbs on a belt, where normally I’m doing 25. My deadlifts were only 160 lbs, where I’d normally be doing 290-300. My dips were also 10 lbs on a belt, when I normally do 55-60.

I was still spread-eagle on the floor, moaning and panting by the end of the workout. When you read the workout, it sounds easy. When you do the workout, you’re crying for mommy.

Try it.

Plus, it’s more aerobic, which is going to help burn that fat you’re trying to lose. We’re trying to lose. :slight_smile:

Took me about 30 minutes to do the routine, but I spent the other 30 catching my breath and drinking my PWO Surge.

Find a time at your gym when everyone’s not there. For mine, it’s around 2 or 3 in the afternoons. Makes it much easier to do circuits.

[quote]mcl wrote:
rrjc5488 wrote:

Good luck.

This, definitely. Before I started, I was telling myself, “I think I’ll just stick to my 5x5 plan. After all, it’s heavy lifting, and it’s a good workout.”

I’m very glad I decided to do the Waterbury plan instead. It royally kicked my ass, even though I’m using 50% or less of my normal weight. For example, I’m doing the intermediate V-Diet workout. Monday, I did pullups with only 10 lbs on a belt, where normally I’m doing 25. My deadlifts were only 160 lbs, where I’d normally be doing 290-300. My dips were also 10 lbs on a belt, when I normally do 55-60.

I was still spread-eagle on the floor, moaning and panting by the end of the workout. When you read the workout, it sounds easy. When you do the workout, you’re crying for mommy.

Try it.

Plus, it’s more aerobic, which is going to help burn that fat you’re trying to lose. We’re trying to lose. :slight_smile:

Took me about 30 minutes to do the routine, but I spent the other 30 catching my breath and drinking my PWO Surge.

Find a time at your gym when everyone’s not there. For mine, it’s around 2 or 3 in the afternoons. Makes it much easier to do circuits.[/quote]

I 100% agree, Im a strength conditioning coach and I have all my “Favorite” Ideas and plans for my strength training routines…Waterbury designed this program around the calorie/carb restrictions of this diet…best done when done right, these guys wouldne spend all there time making this workout/diet routine if it was just as effective doing any other program!
Good luck and welcome to the club guys!

Day 4 - Shakes blow:

So I am not craving sushi, hot wings, or steak (my favorite foods) yet. However, I am craving chewing on any kind of food. Today on the way home I’m going to pickup one of those magic bullet blenders, since so many of you have talked about what a difference ice blended into your shakes makes.

Yesterday I forgot my protein and didn’t realize till I was 5 mins from work, so I turned around. I spent 1 hr 40 mins driving to work, haha.
Today I forgot my shaker, so I had to put two dixie cups together and make an improvised shaker (pictured). This does not work very well, lol.
Maybe I should be taking ginseng as a part of this diet :smiley:
For those of you starting the diet, I recommend keeping a spare shaker and bag of MD in your desk at work, just in case you forget one day.

Well, Waterbury is the freakin man, no doubt. I’m just having a hard time understanding why you’d want cardio at all on this diet. I figured you’d just want to lift as heavy as possible, to signify to your body “no, don’t drop any of that muscle, I need it still.” Regardless, I’m going to try his workout tonight, and let you all know how it goes.

[quote]mcl wrote:
ZMA, or Z-12? Z-12’s the one for sleep.[/quote]

Hey, you’re right. For some reason I was thinking ZMA helped with sleep. Last night I took ZMA and melatonin, and fell asleep pretty easily; I guess it’s just the melatonin helping me sleep. I even took my last HRX late last night, and the melatonin must’ve smacked that down.

I’m still getting up once a night though. It’s weird - every night on this diet so far, I have woken up between 2:14 and 2:30 to take a piss. So as far as water intake and shake timing goes, I think I’m doing pretty well.

[quote]mcl wrote:
Find a time at your gym when everyone’s not there. For mine, it’s around 2 or 3 in the afternoons. Makes it much easier to do circuits.[/quote]

Yeah, that would be nice, but the earliest I can get to the gym after work is 4:30, and it’s busy from then right on up to 9

[quote]rrjc5488 wrote:
Plus, when I did the diet I was in and out of the gym in 40-45 minutes including my warm up.[/quote]

I’m excited about this part of it.

Thanks for all the support guys. Still truckin…

Hey, if the melatonin works, go for it. I can’t make it without the Z-12. Don’t feel bad, I confuse the two all the time. I had to look it up before I posted that, even though a bottle of it’s sitting on my kitchen counter.

You’ll really enjoy the blended shakes, I think. You can also eat your flax dry. Gives you something to chew on, and it tastes pretty good when all you’re eating otherwise is the shakes!

Day 4 and goin’ strong!

HA! See, you are going through what I did…get some gum…it helps with the chewing addiction/need…it is only natural since we are programmed to chew from an early age and changing that really f*cks with your head. I did the same at one point too…forgetting my powder and it only happened once!

The workout is BRUTAL…but your weight will increase pretty quickly to where you were before. Try to take your shake only about an hour or so out from your workout and you will get better results, better lift, less gas out…BUT…you will still be asking for Mommy!

Keep going and don’t listen to your friend…tell him I said he is a little b*tch for not doing lunges! LOL!!!

Latah dude.

M

So I just blended up the chocolate shake into an almost pudding texture…AMAZING! This is going to make things much easier, but still pretty difficult.

We’re off to do the Waterbury workout tonight, so we should be able to rotate in a fashion that allows us to keep the machines.

Am I going to stop craving all these bad foods soon? Day 4 is coming to a close and I haven’t wanted Taco Bell so bad in my entire life!!! I feel like I’m pushing through the hardest part though, from all the reading I’ve been doing. Week 1 is the worst week right?!?

I thought my desk looked pretty amusing so I snapped a photo of it.

Thanks for all the encouragement, it really helps. Whenever I have a moment of weakness, I load up the forums and it gets me back on track.

Also, the amount of co-workers trying to sabotage this diet for me is incredible. This morning I came in to a piece of cheesecake and 2 cookies on my desk with the above stickypad saying “EAT ME!”. Fortunately it didn’t even smell appealing because I just had my shake, and I was able to throw it away!!

-Mike