Biotest

Thank You T-Nation & Chris Shugart

Hello All,

Ive totally been lurking around this website since October of 2007 and I wanna say thank you for all the great articles and pearls of wisdom. Back in October of 07 my buddy told me about this website and hooked me up with all info to get started on my first round of “Velocity Diet.”

I had no idea it would launch me into a frenzy and onto a quest for my very first 6-pack. over the past year i have tried the Velocity diet 5 times (im in the middle of my 6th try), with 3 of the 5 being larger successes than the other 2.

Ive been altering 4 week cycles between pure protein shakes and protein shakes + food and i feel like im hitting a plateau and am not sure what to do. I have fairly detailed logs of the past 10 months on my facebook page.

I am hoping for a chime in from Mr. Shugart or another experienced person to tell me what to do next. I really want a 6-pack. Maybe I should be signing up for the Physique Clinic but since I have the most experience with the V-Diet I figured this is where I should post this. Please move this thread if its in the wrong spot. Here are pictures of my progress:

Before: Early October 2007

This picture was taken on Friday 8/29/08
ive lost about 50lbs and 7-8% bf

Congrats on the fat loss!

Now, what’s next? First of all, you need to realize that you’ve only been at this for 10 months. Although those fast physique transformations are the bread and butter motivators of this biz,it usually takes people longer than they think to build the body they’re after. So don’t get discouraged; you’ve lost 50 pounds of fat after all.

If I were you I’d begin to focus on clean mass gains. Here are some guidelines:

If you keep focusing on fat loss and abs, I think you’ll be disappointed when you finally get there because of the lack of muscle. You don’t want to go from fat to boney. So, focus on muscle gains while keeping the body fat in check.

Whats the best exercise for losing fat that accumulates on my pecs? I still have about 10-15 lbs of stomach fat I want to lose but in the meantime I want to get rid of the fat that gives me “man boobs”. I lift weights 4x a week and do 2-3 days of cardio.

There seems to be no way of spot reduction known. Some areas are just stubborn. It all depends on the body… EveryBODY is different, after all.

If you lose fat, you lose fat. WHERE is dependent on the person. It may come off the face first, the stomach second, the man boobs last, or all equally. It’s just the way people are. For example, if you look at Gus’ PC you can see at the end he still had some fat accumulated in his lower belly area. It’s just a stubborn spot for him.

[quote]schulzmike wrote:
Whats the best exercise for losing fat that accumulates on my pecs? I still have about 10-15 lbs of stomach fat I want to lose but in the meantime I want to get rid of the fat that gives me “man boobs”. I lift weights 4x a week and do 2-3 days of cardio.[/quote]

Diet. Sorry, you can’t spot reduce.

That said, fat accumulation in certain areas can reflect certain hormonal issues. Using the T-Nation search engine, look for “biosignature modulation” or “BioSig.” You’ll find a lot of info.

dude ive never been told to gain weight in my whole life. I am very excited to start a new routine i really cannot wait. i understand that the fast physique diet plans are indeed what sell people on this stuff (hey it got me) but i am fully aware that it will take me longer than a month to get to where i want to be.

that all being said, are you sure its a good idea for me to make some mass gains? According to my scale im at 23% bf and i weigh 202lbs. when should i start fat burning again? when i hit a certain weight? after x amount of months?

[quote]Dentron wrote:
dude ive never been told to gain weight in my whole life. I am very excited to start a new routine i really cannot wait. i understand that the fast physique diet plans are indeed what sell people on this stuff (hey it got me) but i am fully aware that it will take me longer than a month to get to where i want to be.

that all being said, are you sure its a good idea for me to make some mass gains? According to my scale im at 23% bf and i weigh 202lbs. when should i start fat burning again? when i hit a certain weight? after x amount of months?[/quote]

Let me guess, an electronic body fat scale? Those things always read high. If you waited for it to read 9%, you’d be a skeleton.

Now, note that I didn’t tell you to gain “weight.” I suggested you gain muscle while keeping body fat in check – don’t let it get too high. Those people who have been very fat in the past (and I was one of them) tend to gain a lot more fat than muscle on the typical “just eat a lot” mass diet. So, be sure to follow the guidelines in the link I sent you to the Quality Mass Diet.

Think slow and steady muscle gain while keeping body fat in control. Eat healthy foods, a little more calories than maintenance intake, and make sure you’re lifting hard to support your goals. Then, give it time.

Another good link with plenty of info:

http://www.t-nation.com/article/bodybuilding/the_truth_about_bulking&cr=

im no expert but id say ur scales is a crap way of measureing ur bf%. id go calipers if you can get a set.

Scott

-I have read both articles and want to learn more about the training side of lean muscle building. is there a particular training regiment i should try? maybe a conglomeration of a few?

-how do i know when ive gained too much fat? I am 6’3" tall and 23 years old (almost 24). Is there any way to determine when to start leaning down again? im an engineer so if there is a system to this whole thing i gotta know how it works =D

-finally, where can i pick up some calipers/training straps? my deadlift rips through my hands like paper even with gloves on.

[quote]Dentron wrote:
-I have read both articles and want to learn more about the training side of lean muscle building. is there a particular training regiment i should try? maybe a conglomeration of a few?

-how do i know when ive gained too much fat? I am 6’3" tall and 23 years old (almost 24). Is there any way to determine when to start leaning down again? im an engineer so if there is a system to this whole thing i gotta know how it works =D

-finally, where can i pick up some calipers/training straps? my deadlift rips through my hands like paper even with gloves on.[/quote]

Dude,

Look into Mark Ripptoe’s Starting Strength. Its for beginners like yourself. BUY the book. It is probably the best source of info on how to perform certain exercises. Fifty pages on how to squat (the best lift ever) alone.

will do. anything else?