Biotest

Texas Training

long read, my question is at bottom in second to last paragraph if you don’t have the time

Background: I have never known anything but fat, moobs and a gut since I was 6. I was 300lbs in 6th grade and at my heaviest at the end of high school: 375ish (I’m 6’7"). About 6 years ago I became incredibly self aware of terrible eating habits, lack of exercise, and general stupidity. I had been raised with shit habits and have been fighting to get the weight off. My only real motivation was lack of sex from pretty/fit women.

I attempted the V-Diet in it’s 1.0 stage back when I had lifted/cardio’d down to 260 and got great results, until I caved in the last week to a toxic room-mates creole cooking. I can’t believe my lack of resolve to fall peer pressured into eating? I picked up my first attractive girlfriend(vain standards, but what ever…) and I just quit… working out/eating healthy. I wrecked my metabolism and gained back to 300 before I became aware again.

I moved to a new city and fought downward to 260 again and found another girlfriend, this time a cute 4th street Austin bartender (I thought free drinks were cool…I was wrong)… rinse repeat (I have made the mistake of only using women as my motivation and once I got what I wanted, I quit working out)

I decided last month to dump her, as I can’t have a toxic person in my life at this point tempting me to drink and eat shit fried food on the regular. On top of that when I would work out, she would grief trip me about not spending time with her. I burned a few other social bridges in order to make this life change for me and me alone. I am back at it, and clawing downwards again. 280 on the scale this morning.

From an exercise standpoint:
I am just currently pushing myself with swimming, running 5k’s daily on the treadmill (around 25-28min time frame), a tough spin class on Monday mornings, and 30 minutes of elyptical on my lunch break daily, but I have not re-incorporated throwing around the iron… I have become a wealth of knowledge from all the reading I have done on this site and a few others over the last few years. I know the lifts, I know the supplements, I know the need for intensity…

From a nutritional standpoint:
I have not wavered once since Nov 6th on my lifestyle change in diet. Back to chicken, tuna, carbs from vege’s and a lot of the gourmet health food you have posted on this forum. I am so addicted to meaty cheesy muffins as a quick breakfast food with my morning superfood/protein/vit d shake. http://www.nutsonline.com/nuts/almonds/flour.html still expensive, but cheaper then sprouts/wholefoods/central market

But, I just don’t have the will to incorporate this part on my own, YET. I have the time, I have the extra funds, I won’t burn out. I decided I want to pay some one to help add lifting to my already rigorous cardio schedule. I remember reading that you are from Texas, and was wondering if you have any recommendations for a trainer in the Austin, Tx area?

I don’t want a crappy 24hr fitness ‘guru’… A real strength training coach who will wreck my world and turn it upside down. I need this and I need this now. I will complete the v-diet when I hit my first plateau… I anticipate around mid January. I want to be strait sex by summer. I will be turning 25 in July on my week long Las Vegas trip. I want to kill it till then and use that as even more motivation after. I am ready to rabidly transform and be reborn.

First and foremost, why do you assume you need all that cardio in order to lose fat?

If your schedule is that packed, ditch some (if not most) of the cardio and weight train. With a clean diet, the excessive cardio just isn’t needed, and it might even be counterproductive. The V-Diet workouts by Waterbury would give you 3 very tough, short, intense training sessions per week, even if you’re not on the V-Diet. Check 'em out if you haven’t yet.

That aside, I don’t have a specific recommendation for a trainer in Austin. I knew of one guy who had a private gym, met him while attending a seminar there, but dammit, I just can’t recall his name or the name of his place.

Austin has some great Crossfit gyms if that style of training appeals to you. Just search their site.

Maybe someone else from Austin can chime in with a specific rec.

I am working hard to bring up my cardiovascular health, to increase stamina. I got really close my first attempt to hitting a 21 minute 5k 4 years ago @ 260lbs. I want that goal, as I never reached it. I really enjoy shooting hoops and am not physically fit enough to compete at the level I want to. I hate how tired I get, so quickly. I also would like to get into boxing (I have sparred a few times in the past, and I like the feeling of nothing else matters in the ring)

I hate cardio, I hate it so much…But I need to up my endurance. The fat loss is just an added bonus.

I was just hoping you had a connection in Austin, as I don’t feel I put the correct intensity in with out a spotter or a trainer. That really isn’t much as far as cardio goes though right? I didn’t think I was over-doing it.

Hi, PS.

Hope you don’t mind if I jump in here. It sounds like you need to nail down your primary goal.

If what you want the most is a lean, muscular body, then trade in the majority of your cardio for weight lifting.

If your main goal is to be a competitive endurance athlete, then keep doing the cardio… and add in some weight lifting.

No matter what your goal, you need to lift weight. It will even make you better as an endurance athlete, and keep you-injury free as a runner. Plus, people who focus on cardio without any resistance training at all, often end up looking soft and non-muscular.

I used to be a bit cardio-crazed until I read this article: http://figureathlete.t-nation.com/article/training/the_final_nail_in_the_cardio_coffin&cr=

As for needing a training partner, find a regular time to lift, and you’ll meet people at the gym who can encourage you to achieve your goals. Give yourself a chance to meet the regulars. Then become one of them!

Also, look into group fitness. Now, there’s a great way to meet fitness-focused females! Who knows, you might even meet a lady friend that can become your training partner for life.

Hey PS,

I’d contact Luke Leaman at lucasleaman@gmail.com. He’s out of a gym in Austin, and he’s contributed articles for Testosterone.

I’ve attended some training courses with him and we’ve talked shop many times. Very, very knowledgeable - NOT your typical 24 Hr trainer.

Be warned, he’ll kill you. If you tell him you want to be “sexay” for Vegas he’ll make it his life mission.

[quote]PSmolik90 wrote:
I am working hard to bring up my cardiovascular health, to increase stamina. I got really close my first attempt to hitting a 21 minute 5k 4 years ago @ 260lbs. I want that goal, as I never reached it. I really enjoy shooting hoops and am not physically fit enough to compete at the level I want to. I hate how tired I get, so quickly. I also would like to get into boxing (I have sparred a few times in the past, and I like the feeling of nothing else matters in the ring)

I hate cardio, I hate it so much…But I need to up my endurance. The fat loss is just an added bonus.

I was just hoping you had a connection in Austin, as I don’t feel I put the correct intensity in with out a spotter or a trainer. That really isn’t much as far as cardio goes though right? I didn’t think I was over-doing it. [/quote]

1. Yes, you’re doing a hell of a lot of cardio. And how’s it working for ya?

2. NOTHING improves athleticism and endurance more than losing 40 or 50 pounds of excess fat. With no “cardio” training at all, dropping that fat will make you a MACHINE when it comes to jumping higher, running longer, speed work, faster 5K etc. etc. The ultimate performance enhancer is fat loss in those that have it to lose, and tons of treadmill work and spinning classes isn’t the best path to long-term, permanent fat loss.

1.) Thank you for that article, It was a good read. I suppose since I am seeing such great results in the right now, I kinda fooled myself into going with what was working in the now.

I had always seen my gym as the one and only place solace in my life, which I lost contact with for a while. I have noticed the regulars, and by proxy I am sure they have noticed me as well… Even though I am gregarious by nature, I have never tried to be social in the gym…always figured no one wants to be bothered and if I was talking, I wasn’t focused enough myself.

I guess I have nothing to lose by opening up a bit more. Thank you for the ideas of the group fit. I know that I am not really in a place to date right now and intend to focus on just me for a while, but who knows. I have only ever dated party girls and that desperately needs to change.

[quote]Bryan Krahn wrote:
Hey PS,

I’d contact Luke Leaman at lucasleaman@gmail.com. He’s out of a gym in Austin, and he’s contributed articles for Testosterone.

[/quote]

2.) Thank you. I will attempt to contact him relatively soon…I suppose this is probably the busy time for a trainer, with all those silly new years resolutions coming up.

3.) Ok! I guess I have just been making excuses as to why I am not lifting. I will start the v-diet lifting routine tues/thurs/sat split starting 6am Tuesday morning(I like to work out before work).

I am going to go buy a stop watch right now to time the v-burn that I will do after I get home today. And cut back on the cardio…I know that I needed to be lifting. I’ve been seeing the scale weight drop steadily and I have been able to push harder in spin/running. I’ve noticed my legs getting stronger/bigger as well (I wasn’t able to keep up with the badass instructor until recently). So I don’t think I was losing muscle, but I wouldnt know since it’s hidden under a layer of fat and I am not doing anything to gauge strength gain/loss.

Ok, so here I go again. This time around things will be different. I can’t afford to fail any more. You have never been so right as to say being fat makes you invisible. Having been tall for a very long time, I have always commanded attention the second I walk into a room, but it’s only for a brief moment. I really would like stares to linger.

Thank you.

Glad to help! I’m a freakishly tall girl so I get where you’re coming from with the extra attention thing. But a great attitude and a sense of humor trump a low body fat percentage any day.

Definitely make gym friends. I can’t tell you how many single, physically fit, female friends I’ve met over the years who were just looking for a funny, fitness-focused guy to hang out or lift with.

I hope you don’t toss the cardio completely. You can still prepare for races with just a couple days of effective high intensity cardio a week. Interval training burns calories like nobody’s business.

Good luck, and good for you for getting out there!

So, I am back on the horse this week for cardio thus far… Unfortunately I pushed too hard too fast. Having gone from sedentary to training 2 - 3 times daily, my body just couldnt keep up. I thought I was invincible at 24 years old…

I felt great after the V-Diet wednesday split (I performed on thursday) until the Exertional Rhabdomylosis kicked in! First medical problem I have ever dealt with in my entire life. I was virtually incapacitated saturday and could not move my back at all with out almost fainting from the pain. I must have really botched the form on deadlifts or my back was weak from all the swimming I had been doing earlier in the week.

I have slowed down the amount of cardio though, kept my diet in check, and going to implement lifting next week.

I refuse to quit this time around.