Biotest

Texas Firefighter's V-Diet Log

Hey everyone! Im going to be embarking on the V-Diet tomorrow. My main purpose behind performing this diet is the hope that it will eliminate the few bad diet habits I have like binge eating during cheat meals, and also removing the remaining cravings I get. It will also serve as a great test of my will and self-control, oh and it’ll get me in shape for summer.

My usual diet consists of a low-carb, carb-cycling diet, but Ive experimented with other types of diets. That being said I think this will be by far my toughest undertaking. Im going to try and update my progress every night. My workout schedule is a little off the prescribed schedule because of the shifts Im on as a firefighter, but Ive got it ironed out. Ill post my measurements/photos tomorrow morning as I start. Wish me luck!

P.S. Im going to be doing the Advanced program because Ive been constantly training since I was 15 (now 23). I went through a couple of circuits of the V-Challenge, and found I wasnt able to do 10 reps of the hand-stand push-ups. Any recommnedations on a substitution for that?

Welcome aboard!

But remember, luck has nothing to do with it, so no good-luck wishing from us. We know that V-Dieters are capable of digging in and getting it done, no random luck required!

As for the handstand push-ups, you may want to toss that into the Velocity Training thread near the top of this forum. Coach Waterbury stops in sometimes and fields questions. That said, I’d suggest just doing as many as you can.

Day 1 is just about done with. It was a tumultuous start because I was on the scene of a brush fire all last night and only got 2 hours of sleep. So I spent most of my day sleeping, but got all my shakes in, and worked out once I was well rested. The overhead squat is going to require some more limbering up on my part because my ROM on it was less than stellar. I was a little hungry at times, but it was nothing I couldn’t handle. I feel good so far, and really enjoy the prescribed workout routines. Quick and efficient; just my style. Here are my measurements/pictures that I took before lifting today.

Height: 5’ 11 1/2
Weight: 198.4 lbs

L Arms - 14.5
R Arms - 14.25
L Calf - 16
R Calf - 16
L Thigh - 25
R Thigh - 25
Waist - 33
Hips - 41.5
Chest - 46
Shoulders - 49
Neck - 15

I will update those on a weekly basis.

I vote you “Best pose”

Good luck!

You had me at “Texas”. (jk)

I did the V-Diet for the same reasons as you (stop treating cheat meals as all-you-can-eat, balls-to-the-wall food fests rather than as healthy carb ups, eliminate bad food cravings, test my will and self-control). I’m halfway through week 6, and I have yet to give in… so I think it’s working.

Keep it up, brother.

You seem to be in a very similar spot as me. I’m starting tomorrow. Kick ass!

Well day 2 is down the tubes and it was a tough one. I woke up exceptionally hungry, had my shake, and continued to be exceptionally hungry. It got better as the day progressed, but then I had to lift again…(my 24 on/48 off schedule forces me to lift back to back days, once in the morning, and then at night the next day).

Training was an absolute train wreck. 40 reps of wide grip pull-ups? Okay. 40 reps of neutral grip incline DB bench? Getting tougher. 40 reps of Romanian deadlift? 30 reps in Im light-headed, and spending quality time with the Gold’s Gym floor. Everything after that was a lesson in futility, but I ground through what I could.

On to some more positive revelations though. My girlfriend has been diligently supporting me in my quest to complete this diet. Id like to give her props for going on my NEPA walks with me and encouraging me (though she has been stuffing her face in front of me…). She also reminded me that I could “spice” my shakes to add flavor so Ive been putting a little cinnamon in them, and its made a world of difference.

Tomorrow is my first shift at the station while on the V-Diet, so we’ll see how that goes. Im taking some precautions should we get an extended call. Time for some quality R&R. Out.

Day 2 sounds like a challenge, but it’s expected “according to” posts from other V-Dieters. Getting to know the Gold’s Gym floor is better than getting to know 10 boxes of chocolate chip cookies from your friendly local grocery store (a.k.a. H-E-B). Once this is over, you will be applicable to act in the sequel to 300!

Is your girlfriend supportive enough to become a member of T-Nation? That would be hardcore.

Cinnamon proved to be a great twist to the taste. I’ll be taking my own NEPA walks and conjure up my a special diet for the next 4 weeks. Schlitterbahn, here I come…

Since I can’t say good luck…“good training” and I know you can pull through it!

Keep up the solid work. Hopefully your shift doesn’t run you too hard.

hey found your log…275 on deadlift? balsy… i probably could have gone heavier but didnt have the balls too after I was already woozy…did you use straps…i always more worried about my grip on dead lift…

hows your day 4 goin?..i had the worst headaches as of yet to start the day but feeling better as off now…looking forward to a real meal tonight, but i feel like im gonna be full after a few bites being that it feels like my stomach capacity has shrunk…ill update later…

and yeah im glad i found someone else to compare workouts with for motivation…you already have me pissed that i only used 205 on deadlift…ha…

Day 3 down. For the most part it was a decent day except all the guys at the station were wolfing down brisket, steak, etc. On top of that we got toned out to another brush fire right as I was supposed to have my dinner shake, thus I went 6 hours between meals. Luckily I hit some HOT-ROX right before the call so I did have some energy. Im counting the brush fire as my NEPA even though Im sure its not ideal.

[quote]twondog22 wrote:
hey found your log…275 on deadlift? balsy… i probably could have gone heavier but didnt have the balls too after I was already woozy…did you use straps…i always more worried about my grip on dead lift…

hows your day 4 goin?..i had the worst headaches as of yet to start the day but feeling better as off now…looking forward to a real meal tonight, but i feel like im gonna be full after a few bites being that it feels like my stomach capacity has shrunk…ill update later…

and yeah im glad i found someone else to compare workouts with for motivation…you already have me pissed that i only used 205 on deadlift…ha…
[/quote]

Yeah, 275 was the weight I needed according to the loading parameters. Unfortunatly my body wanted nothing to do with recommended loading parameters. I didnt use straps, and my grip did suffer towards my later sets, but my light-headedness was more of a factor than my grip.

Im actually on day 3. My workout schedule is a little different because of my shift schedule, and I cant work out at the station. So some times I lift two days in a row, but Ill lift the first day in the morning (ideally), and the second day at night to spread them as much as possible.

Thats good youre pissed, now take it out on the bar next time you lift =P

You nozzle nuts have to be some of the best cooks in the world. If I took a different civil service test and ended up in a firehouse I’d be Jabba the Hutt. And the V-Diet would be WAY more difficult for me.

Demo Dick

My fridge on the V-Diet. It seems to have lost substantial density since April 28th…

[quote]Demo Dick wrote:
You nozzle nuts have to be some of the best cooks in the world. If I took a different civil service test and ended up in a firehouse I’d be Jabba the Hutt. And the V-Diet would be WAY more difficult for me.

Demo Dick [/quote]

Some of the guys at the station are quite exceptional cooks. My shift however consists of me (chicken breast eating, broccoli steaming, V-Diet shake drinking health nut), my Captain (his wife cooks him authentic Mexican food), and another firefighter (eats out for every meal). So not much good cooking gets done on my shift. Like you said the V-Diet is not easy as I watch my shift-mates eat home made enchiladas verdes or bbq from the local joint.

you do fridays workout yet?..im doing mine after work…i tested sgome weights yesterday and thinkin about doin this

135 front squats
195 close grip
35 weight added on chin ups
55 dumbells on push press

just curious what you used and how it went, if you did the workout already

[quote]Htowner wrote:
My fridge on the V-Diet. It seems to have lost substantial density since April 28th…

Demo Dick wrote:

Demo Dick

Some of the guys at the station are quite exceptional cooks. My shift however consists of me (chicken breast eating, broccoli steaming, V-Diet shake drinking health nut), my Captain (his wife cooks him authentic Mexican food), and another firefighter (eats out for every meal). So not much good cooking gets done on my shift. Like you said the V-Diet is not easy as I watch my shift-mates eat home made enchiladas verdes or bbq from the local joint.
[/quote]

Good for you dude. My little brother is a fire fighter and those guys eat like kings. Most of them don’t work out either, but they have some of the best equipment I have seen.

Day 4 is over and done. Nothing really to report. Did my NEPA, drank my shakes, and took a nap. Sounds like a solid day in my books.

[quote]twondog22 wrote:
you do fridays workout yet?..im doing mine after work…i tested sgome weights yesterday and thinkin about doin this

135 front squats
195 close grip
35 weight added on chin ups
55 dumbells on push press

just curious what you used and how it went, if you did the workout already[/quote]

Ill be doing that workout tomorrow. I looked through my previous workout logs (I have a journal with about 95% of my work outs dating back to Sept. '07) to find the weights Im going to use. Oddly enough every weight youre using sounds right for me, but Im going to give 225 a whirl on front squats. I do those on a fairly consistent basis since I dont like back squats that much.
Ill let you know how that goes tomorrow evening.

[quote]Icarus wrote:
Good for you dude. My little brother is a fire fighter and those guys eat like kings. Most of them don’t work out either, but they have some of the best equipment I have seen.[/quote]

Yeah there is only about one or two guys at my station I would consider in “decent” physical condition. The rest are average to below average. That being said I trust my guys to pull through in the clutch. I just dont trust them to do a pull-up…or bench their own body weight…or do a single-leg squat without face-planting…

Looking like that with your before pic, you’ll be shredded after this. Good luck!

Day 5 is in the books. Workout 3 lived up to its billing of being tough, but not as tough as 2. 225 on front squat was a bear, and I was hitting sets of 2 by the end of doing chin-ups with 35 lbs dangling precariously close to my goods. I still took a knee on a couple of occasions though.

I went with my HSM today. Chipotle chicken breast cooked in olive oil, salsa, brown rice, and sauteed bell peppers. I figured that came out to around 500 calories or so. Needless to say it was sensational after 4+ days of drinking goo. I had to do my best to not inhale it though. It took me 23 minutes (yeah I stared at the clock) from first bite to last, and sitting and savoring every bite like Chris recommended took some will power.

Ive been starting to feel a hint of nausea too, and upon further investigation it seems the HOT-ROX on an empty stomach may be the culprit. It makes some since seeing as I have never taken anything like it, and my body gets almost no caffeine since I drink exclusively water and eat very little sweets. Ill see if it goes away in the next couple of days, but if not I might switch to taking HOT-ROX with a shake as recommended in other threads.

[quote]Htowner wrote:

Yeah there is only about one or two guys at my station I would consider in “decent” physical condition. The rest are average to below average. That being said I trust my guys to pull through in the clutch. I just dont trust them to do a pull-up…or bench their own body weight…or do a single-leg squat without face-planting…
[/quote]

LOL. I am sure they are very good at what they do, they just don’t “look” it really. It’s more of a personal choice.

You front squats look great bro. I did 255lbs but on the heavy day. 225 on the medium day would kick my ass.

Day 6 is coming to a close. A quiet day at the station so far, which always helps both for my eating schedule and my sleep schedule. Nothing big to report. Tomorrow will be my first V-Challenge. Im excited to see how I fare.

On a tangent, last night was the 3rd consecutive night where I had a dream about cheating on the V-Diet. In my dream I will eat some random food of dismal quality that I havent had in years (ie Pop-Tarts or E.L. Fudge cookies), and while still dreaming, spaz out about having broke the diet. I was contemplating whether this was a bad sign, but I realized I wake motivated because I was so crestfallen in my dreams after failing. That being said, Im hoping these go away like the nausea did.