Biotest

Ted H's Log

Hi everyone, this is day 1 for me on the V-Diet.

I’m here after reading about the diet in Dan John’s book.

Here are some of my stats:

Weight: 205
Height: 5’ 10.5"
BF: 27%
Waist: 42.5"

This is my first time attempting a diet like this. I’m scared. I can do this though.

The key for me is how easy this plan is in terms of food. I really need something that doesn’t require me to prepare my food (yet), drops some initial fat quick, and offers me hope.

Not drinking is probably the biggest deal for me. That’s where the bulk of my extra calories have come from. I’m a biker and part of that lifestyle for me has been way too much alcohol and fast food.

I just want to say thanks to Chris for creating this plan. Without getting rid of this extra fat I am carrying around, building muscle is a lost cause. I can’t fit into my clothes from last year and I’m at the age where if I don’t grab the bull by the horns and commit to a fundamental lifestyle change, I will end up another super obese slob biker with all of the health problems associated with it.

I’m still in the National Guard and I hate fat asses who wear the uniform and now I am one. Time to change.

I’ve always defeated myself because I’m not ready to make my own food, so I order out. I also didn’t want to give up drinking so much, This plan takes away the number one barrier or preparing my meals (for now) and allows me to concentrate on sticking to the plan without worrying about shopping and cooking.

This is my first step toward taking responsibility for my life and changing by bad habits. I can do this and I’m going to, no matter what.

I’ll be posting some great before and after pics in 28 days. Wish me luck!

Thanks for listening.

Ted

Looking forward to following your progress, Ted!

Be sure to hit me with any specific questions over in the Ask Chris forum. I’ll be sure to see them there.

Nearing the end of day 2. Did my first workout today (besides the non-workout walking). It really got my heart rate up. I’m not sure exactly how fast is the fast referred to in the plan, but I was going enough to hit the desired rep range and get my heart going pretty good. Kinda sore from those front dumbbell squats.

I haven’t gotten hungry yet. I’ve had thoughts of bad food, but I thought about it and figured out that I wasn’t hungry, I was just using those kinds of meals to satisfy boredom, stress, or some other emotion of the moment. I never realized how much bingeing on fast food or dining out had more to do with my emotions than being hungry. I had a few moments today, but I was able to intercept the thoughts and delay a few minutes, then the moments passed without issue.

I’m glad that the workouts (I’m doing beginner) are relatively easy. Don’t get me wrong, I feel the burn. But, I was fat and doing a MAX-OT type routine for a few months last year and there is no comparison. This allows me to put the diet first, focus and use my willpower on that instead of trying to psych myself up for a hard workout several times a week and the diet every moment. I’m just not strong enough mentally to do that yet. This is a life saver.

The fact that this plan is only 28 days helps a lot. Even on day 2, I can look at it and say, “I can do this for only 26 more days”. That’s not a long time.

I notice that this plan has me doing 30 minutes of easy physical activity every morning and that is good because a) it’s easy enough that I do it and b) at the end of 28 days it will be easier for me to continue and then up the intensity after I have formed the habit of actually doing something physical every morning.

I am pretty sure that my stomach will shrink on this plan. So, not only will I appreciate healthy food a lot more at the end, but I will have portions down as well. I will also be used to eating 5 times a day.

All in all, I think this is a great way to begin to establish some good habits. After 28 days of doing them, it will be a little easier to keep them up. To me, this is a bridge to a healthier lifestyle, not a one shot deal to just loose fat.

All of the photos on this forum are very inspirational. I’ll be sure to post mine when I’m done. It really sinks it in your head that it’s possible to drop this fat and that fat loss is not the impossible barrier that it seems like to people who have an unhealthy lifestyle.

I’m so glad I found this plan. I can do this. And, if I can do this, I can do anything.

BTW - thanks for the reply Chris! And THANKS FOR THE PLAN!

Day 5, still going strong!

It’s Monday and I had drill over the weekend. That was tough. I’m used to using food and alcohol as entertainment on drill evenings because I’m out of town then and hooking up with military brothers. It was difficult to say no and not go out, but I did it. It was difficult when they brought chow in and I could smell it… BUT, I just pushed the thoughts out of my mind because I wasn’t really hungry, I was just craving the enjoyment of food. It worked.

I can’t wait to post my first week results on Thursday morning.

This whole challenge is psychological. Physically, I feel great and am not going hungry. The first workout really took a toll on me. It seemed easy to do, but the next two days I could hardly walk.

Well, I’m still chugging along and I’m hoping to hit a 25lb fat loss on day 29. I was aiming for 20, but I think 25 may be possible at this rate.

Either way, I’m still overweight. But, I’ll be in a lot better position to start upping my strength training and control my eating/booze patterns.

5’ 10.5" I figure that I should be around 165 without more muscle. At the end of this I’ll be 185 or 180. That’s good for me, for now. Changing my eating/booze habits should get me the rest of the way within a few months. At least, that’s the way I see it now. I figure that the two week transition should help me drop another 5 lbs at least. After that, I want to continue with 1-2 lbs per week loss until 165. Then, I can worry about gaining some more lean muscle.

I’m doing the workouts, so I hope I don’t loose any strength.

Day 5, still going strong!

It’s Monday and I had drill over the weekend. That was tough. I’m used to using food and alcohol as entertainment on drill evenings because I’m out of town then and hooking up with military brothers. It was difficult to say no and not go out, but I did it. It was difficult when they brought chow in and I could smell it… BUT, I just pushed the thoughts out of my mind because I wasn’t really hungry, I was just craving the enjoyment of food. It worked.

I can’t wait to post my first week results on Thursday morning.

This whole challenge is psychological. Physically, I feel great and am not going hungry. The first workout really took a toll on me. It seemed easy to do, but the next two days I could hardly walk.

Well, I’m still chugging along and I’m hoping to hit a 25lb fat loss on day 29. I was aiming for 20, but I think 25 may be possible at this rate.

Either way, I’m still overweight. But, I’ll be in a lot better position to start upping my strength training and control my eating/booze patterns.

5’ 10.5" I figure that I should be around 165 without more muscle. At the end of this I’ll be 185 or 180. That’s good for me, for now. Changing my eating/booze habits should get me the rest of the way within a few months. At least, that’s the way I see it now. I figure that the two week transition should help me drop another 5 lbs at least. After that, I want to continue with 1-2 lbs per week loss until 165. Then, I can worry about gaining some more lean muscle.

I’m doing the workouts, so I hope I don’t loose any strength.

The morning of day 8. End of week 1.

Weight: 199.2
Waist: 40"

-5.8 lbs

• 1.5" off of my waist

I had my first healthy meal yesterday. I was so happy. Yesterday was the hardest day, I was about to snap. I feel re-charged and ready to go again. I’m looking forward to this next week. Hopefully the fat burning will really kick in now.

So are you almost done or did you quit?