Biotest

Taco Salads

This is one of my favorite salads (dinner last night).

Chop up 1 onion, and saute (save a little to top the salad with).
Add 1 lb of lean ground chicken.
Saute until done. Add 1 pack of taco meat seasoning (I like McCormicks – seems to have the least amount of crap in it that I can find at my store) and 1/4 cup of water. Simmer for 5 minutes.

Heat up 1 can of re-fried beans (non-fat ones).

Wash/chop: 3 romain lettuce heads, bag of spinach, bag of broccoli slaw, and 1 fresh cilantro bunch (this gives it a lot of flavor).

For my “serving”, I have:
Generous amounts of romain lettuce, spinach and broccoli slaw.
Top with cilantro, onion, chopped jalapenos (I typically just run a whole jar thru a blender and put it back into the jar), spicy rotel tomatoes (from a can), “sprinkle” of chopped cilantro, 1/4 cup of your chicken mix, 1/4 cup of refried beans, and 1/4 cup of low-fat cottage cheese (I use that as “dressing”).

This will easily give you 4 or 5 servings, depending on how high you stack the ingredients.

Looks great.

It’s hard to find ground chicken in my area. I even heard Chef Bobby Flay talk about how rare it is. Ground turkey is everywhere; odd that ground chicken isn’t.

I didn’t know availability was an issue. Now that you mention it, I’ve noticed it is regularly sold out. Here is what it looks like.

[quote]Chris Shugart wrote:
Looks great.

It’s hard to find ground chicken in my area. I even heard Chef Bobby Flay talk about how rare it is. Ground turkey is everywhere; odd that ground chicken isn’t.

[/quote]

Back side.

[quote]Chris Shugart wrote:
Looks great.

[/quote]

Cool. Thanks. Will keep an eye out for it.

Hey Chris, if I remember correctly from a forum or article post of yours you keep two food processors? One large and one small? If you have a large one, it should have come with a blade for cutting, the standard processing blade I think it is.

I got a standard food processor (larger sized) and the standard blade works great at chopping up chicken real good. When I want ground chicken I simply process a boneless skinless breast and a boneless skinless thigh (for some fat to keep the mixture moist when cooking) together for a few pulses or until it’s broken down nice and good. Takes maybe 30-60 sec.

When I’m feeling sexy I like to throw some carrots and onions in the processor with the chicken to make chicken meatballs or patties.

When cooking up the processed meat it cooks up just like store bought ground chicken. I can’t taste any textural difference, plus I like making my own so I can add things like a couple slices of bacon or some other spiced sausage for added fun.

[quote]uv_deth wrote:
Hey Chris, if I remember correctly from a forum or article post of yours you keep two food processors? One large and one small? If you have a large one, it should have come with a blade for cutting, the standard processing blade I think it is.

I got a standard food processor (larger sized) and the standard blade works great at chopping up chicken real good. When I want ground chicken I simply process a boneless skinless breast and a boneless skinless thigh (for some fat to keep the mixture moist when cooking) together for a few pulses or until it’s broken down nice and good. Takes maybe 30-60 sec.

When I’m feeling sexy I like to throw some carrots and onions in the processor with the chicken to make chicken meatballs or patties.

When cooking up the processed meat it cooks up just like store bought ground chicken. I can’t taste any textural difference, plus I like making my own so I can add things like a couple slices of bacon or some other spiced sausage for added fun.[/quote]

Cool. Thanks for the tip!