Biotest

Surge Workout Fuel vs Plazma

Can anyone give me an example of when or why would use SWF instead of Plazma for training, except for the difference in cost?

Would it strictly be for conditioning workouts, like running or sprinting, or prowler pushing?

Thanks

That’s a good question. <a href="http://www.t-nation.com/store/products/plazma"target=“new”>Plazma and the new, upgraded <a href="http://www.t-nation.com/store/products/surge-workout-fuel"target=“new”>Surge Workout Fuel share some of the same qualities. Both can be used for intense weight training and both can and have been used by those on the other end of the spectrum: marathon runners (Tim Patterson had the ultra runners use more water per serving though.)

So, the cost difference is one factor to consider. Someone once described Surge Workout Fuel as “poor man’s Plazma” or “budget Plazma.” That’s not a bad way to say it. For most of us here at Biotest and T Nation HQ, we’re sticking to Plazma for weight training. It’s the “harder core” and better overall workout nutrition supplement. Our pro bodybuilders and athletes are also staying with Plazma for weight training.

However, Surge Workout Fuel has been very much amped up with the new formula. I’m considering switching my NFL guys over to it for long practices and game nutrition. (What, you thought they actually had Gatorade in those Gatorade bottles? Hee hee…) Our endurance athletes may be giving Surge Workout Fuel a run as well, and I’d like to see it used on our high level CrossFit athletes as well for all day competitions. (We know of one very popular female CrossFit Games athlete who’s already using the previous formula, even though she’s sponsored by another supplement company. Again, if I may… hee hee.)

So, all that said, here’s how I’m personally going to stack my workout nutrition. Maybe this will help you:

<a href="http://www.T-Nation.com/store/products/MAG-10"target=“new”>MAG-10: For short, intense conditioning sessions. Like today I did overhead carries and Prowler work for under 30 minutes, so I had a pulse of Mag-10 before and sipped another while catching my breath during the workout.

Plazma: Intense weight training. A pre-load and a intra-workout dose on most days, an extra intra-workout dose if the workout is over an hour or it’s leg day.

Surge Workout Fuel: Extended endurance work. Now, I’m not in a sport or I’d use in for games. I’m allergic to running as well, so I’ll be using Surge Workout Fuel for climbing around the mountains here in Colorado.

Hope that helps.

Thanks for the detailed write-up, Chris. Yes, that was helpful.

I started Crossfit in March of this year. I started with the old Surge Workout Fuel formula and it helped big time to get through the workouts. When Surge Workout Fuel was out, I started using Plazma and it was mindblowing. The workouts were much easier. I thought I was doing them wrong because I wasn’t winded! My workout cocktail also included Indigo-3G and Power Drive. I know the Plazma was the difference because I tried to workout without it and it was painful.

To me there is a big difference between the old Surge Workout Fuel and Plazma. Like Chris, I am allergic to running but I force myself to do it and Plazma makes it palatable. Gonna order the new Surge Workout Fuel today while I still have some Plazma left.

We’d love to hear your feedback, mmcrath, since you’ve used Plazma, the old formula of Surge Workout Fuel, and you’ll be trying the new.

[quote]Chris Shugart wrote:
… So, all that said, here’s how I’m personally going to stack my workout nutrition. Maybe this will help you:

MAG-10: For short, intense conditioning sessions. Like today I did overhead carries and Prowler work for under 30 minutes, so I had a pulse of MAG-10 before and sipped another while catching my breath during the workout.

Plazma: Intense weight training. A pre-load and a intra-workout dose on most days, an extra intra-workout dose if the workout is over an hour or it’s leg day.

Surge Workout Fuel: Extended endurance work. Now, I’m not in a sport or I’d use in for games. I’m allergic to running as well, so I’ll be using Surge Workout Fuel for climbing around the mountains here in Colorado.

Hope that helps.
[/quote]

Thanks for the suggestions Chris. Would you also do a pulse of MAG-10 one hour after each type of workout or only after the intense weight training?

Also, is MAG-10 still the best choice for a morning fat-burning walk, or would Surge Workout Fuel be better?

OldFatGuy2:

1: Only after weight training, though it wouldn’t hurt anything to have a post-conditoning pulse of Mag-10. If such conditioning work is done fasted, like first thing in the AM, the pre-conditioning serving is the most important because of the benefits of the post-absorptive state Christian Thibaudeau has talked about here, http://www.t-nation.com/training/fasted-cardio-eats-muscle, plus the muscle protectant effects.

1. Mag-10 would be the best choice for a morning fat-burning walk.

If you consume an adequate protein meal prior to working out, you can save a few dollars and go with Surge Workout Fuel IMO. If you train first thing in the morning practically an hour out of bed and you’re in the gym, Plazma is going to be the way to go as it not only covers you on the fuel (carbs) but you’re getting a good dose of protein as well.

I have used the new SWF now for about four workouts and I can say with certainty that it is on the same level as Plazma in terms of increasing workout stamina. However, Plazma is still king!

When using SWF, I workout hard and I feel great. It seems to have some sort of slow release effect. Recovery is good. I started with two scoops and up it to three. This made a big difference.

When using Plazma, I really feel like I can do anything for as long as I want. I have to force myself to take a day off. I really feel ?unbreakable?. Its hard to describe my Plazma experience any other way. I started with three scoops, then cut back to two. Now I am on a three scoop protocol.

The real test for SWF was my crossfit WODs. SWF did not disappoint. I made it through the WODs just fine with effort to spare, but there is still a difference with Plazma. I can?t put my finger on it, but something is different.

My plan is to continue with Plazma and when funds are low, switch to SWF. I just cant give up Plazma!