Biotest

Supplements for Muay Thai?

I’ll be going on my 2nd trip to thailand for some muay thai training.
3 hours of training in the morning, again in the afternoon. It is cardio intense and includes 1 hour running in each session. I’m looking for something to help with recovery and muscle fatigue.
I’ll be staying 2 weeks, training 6 days a week so I need enough to last 24 workouts.

I prefer to keep things to a minimal. I’ve already got some whey protein and fish oil i’ll be taking. I’ll be taking an electrolyte powder too.

I’ll consider any advice.

Thanks.

Look into <a href="http://www.t-nation.com/store/products/surge-workout-fuel"target=“new”>Surge Workout Fuel or, ideally, <a href="http://www.t-nation.com/store/products/plazma"target=“new”>Plazma. We’ve even had some extreme endurance athletes (ultra-runners) use Plazma with great success.

We’ve had some recent price drops in the Biotest store recently, so check the latest prices to see which one best fits your budget. You can also read the labels there to check serving sizes etc. to see how long each would last you based on your intake.

Hi Chris,
I was looking at Plazma. What protocol would you suggest with twice a day training? Also I can’t down 500mls 15 mins prior to running. Would sipping it say 1 hour/30mins before hand be ok instead?
Would you suggest anything else to go with the Plazma? Would indigo work if i’m only using for 2 weeks?

We’d suggest one serving before the session begins, then at least one more serving of Plazma sometime during, as you’d normally drink water. That would be 4 servings per day, 2 each session. Also, our ultra-marathoners drink it before and during races, so it can be done, unless you mean it’s a schedule thing. If it’s a volume thing, 500ml can be slammed in one breath.

<a href="http://www.t-nation.com/store/products/indigo-3g"target=“new”>Indigo-3G, a serving before each session, would be great, and help drive in the nutrients in Plazma and increase work capacity.

Unless I’ve miscalculated the Plazma superstack would be ideal then?

I’m i right to assume electrolyte tablets are ok to take with Indigo-3G?

What do you think of the following:
No breakfast (I have zero appiate in the mornings :frowning: )
6.30 AM Indigo-3G 6 caps
6.45 AM Plazma-500ml
7.00 AM Workout
During workout Plazma-500ml
10 AM Finish workout, immediately after MAG-10
11 AM MAG-10 immediately after lunch

2.30 PM Indigo-3G 6 caps
2.45 PM Plazma-500ml
3.00 PM Workout
During workout Plazma-500ml
6.00PM Finish workout, immediately after MAG-10
7.00PM MAG-10 immediately after dinner

That sounds like a solid plan. Be sure to keep us posted. Your situation in pretty cool and unique!

And electrolyte tablets should be fine to take with Indigo-3G if needed.

I just read Plazma already contains electrolytes, is this correct?
Also wondering is there any maximum dose per day of Plazma. I was thinking of having 6 servings a day but not sure if this is overkill?

I’ll be in thailand first 2 weeks of september. I’m planning to go to Sitsongpeenong gym in Bangkok. I’ll be sure to keep you posted. Bear in mind I’m not a pro fighter or anything, I just love the sport.

[quote]redgladiator wrote:
I just read Plazma already contains electrolytes, is this correct?
Also wondering is there any maximum dose per day of Plazma. I was thinking of having 6 servings a day but not sure if this is overkill?

I’ll be in thailand first 2 weeks of september. I’m planning to go to Sitsongpeenong gym in Bangkok. I’ll be sure to keep you posted. Bear in mind I’m not a pro fighter or anything, I just love the sport.[/quote]

Yes, I doubt you’d need the extra electrolyte tablet when using Plazma.

Some of our bodybuilders take 4 servings of Plazma for their workout and the ultra-runners will pre-load then have a serving every 30 minutes plus Mag-10 after the race. Granted, those latter guys are running through the dessert for hours and hours. If the training or sport demands it though, you’r body will use it. You can read about the extreme endurance plan here, by the way: http://tnation.t-nation.com/free_online_forum/diet_performance_supplements_biotest/plazma_and_endurance_athletes

There’s no real top end dose of Plazma if the body needs it for the training. 6 servings per day, 3 per workout, is perfectly fine.

[quote]Chris Shugart wrote:
ultra-runners will pre-load then have a serving every 30 minutes plus MAG-10 after the race.
[/quote]
What does MAG-10 have that the Plazma doesn’t to make taking it necessary after the race?

I was just thinking, since I’ll be taking Indigo wouldn’t taking Plazma PWO be superior to MAG-10 PWO?

Plazma has basically taken care of everything needed for pre and during the race (or tough workout). It’s made just for pre and intra. There would be no need for that many carbs for example afterward since Plazma has you loaded up during. Mag-10 just provides a fast pulse of the di- and tripeptide complex, which is driven by the special carb formula. You can actually wait an hour or so after training to have this pulse since the Plazma is “in you” still from training. Of course, many just use Plazma pre and during, then have a solid meal after training if budget or timing is an issue.

quick update:
Due to luggage restrictions I bought with me 3 Plazmas and Indigo-3G.
The plan was twice a day training 6 days a week, 3 scoops per workout with Indigo-3G.

I was very sceptical at first, I just wanted something to help get me through the workouts and recover before the next one.
I wish i’d taken before/after pics. In 2 weeks I never once got any DOMS. Work capacity remained constantly high throughout the 2 weeks. I just felt full of energy most of the time. I was nocticing small differences in the mirror almost daily, new veins kept popping up which at the time I put down to weighloss and my abs are looking the best i’ve ever seen them. It wasn’t till i got home and weighed myself that I saw, I hadn’t lost any weight what so ever. it’s when I looked at my home bathroom mirror that I geniunly thought wow so much change in only 2 weeks, damm.

So anyway, I was highly impressed with the Plazma/Indigo-3G combo. Back in UK i simply can;t afford to make it a staple but won’t be training as intensly anyway. Next trip to thailand (hoping to go twice a year) I’ll be bringing the same stack for certain, along with Z-12 (i had terrible jet lag).

PS having tried all flavours, IMO 1berry 2lemon 3 lime 4 orange 5 grape.

Thanks for the feedback, redgladiator!

Plazma has basically taken care of everything needed for pre and during the race (or tough workout). It’s made just for pre and intra. There would be no need for that many carbs for example afterward since Plazma has you loaded up during. MAG-10 just provides a fast pulse of the di- and tripeptide complex, which is driven by the special carb formula. You can actually wait an hour or so after training to have this pulse since the Plazma is “in you” still from training. Of course, many just use Plazma pre and during, then have a solid meal after training if budget or timing is an issue.

[/quote]

I opted to take 6 scoops of Plazma a day and leave the MAG-10 at home, simply because of luggage resrictions and I felt the extra carbs would help recover between sessions. I was doing 12 sessions a week afterall :stuck_out_tongue:

That is really cool. Got any pics? Don’t forget, we’re doing this: http://tnation.t-nation.com/free_online_forum/music_movies_girls_life/t_nation_social_media_wanna_play_2

That is really cool. Got any pics? Don’t forget, we’re doing this: http://tnation.T-Nation.com/free_online_forum/music_movies_girls_life/t_nation_social_media_wanna_play_2[/quote]
sorry no. I wish i did take before pics but really wasn’t expecting much difference (in physique) in only 2 weeks. I wasn’t training to put on size or to get ripped, it just happened. My main goals were fitness and to learn proper techniqe. It just so happened Thais eat rice with everything which worked well with I3G. I met one of my muay thai buddies today and he asked how Thailand went, I just lifted up my shirt, he was amazed.

This being my 2nd time training muay thai in thailand, the first time I only bought electrolytes and whey, I can stronly recommend the Plazma/I3G stack for anyone wanting to train 12 times a week. I really don’t think I could have handled the training without the stack.

Next time I’ll definately take pics.

I’m a welter weight so don’t expect a bodybuilder :stuck_out_tongue:

Thanks for the feedback, redgladiator![/quote]

Hi Chris

I live in Thailand and shipping + Thai tax make Plazma an expensive product to import. If I used 1 serving pre and some BCAA after would it be worth ordering? I swim in the am, CrossFit twice a week and Muay Thai/KB’s 2-3 time a weeks. I was thinking Plazma would be great for the CrossFit sessions and any really intense sparring.

Cheers

moog

moog,

Yes, if using just one serving of Plazma then Tim Patterson says it’s best to use the pre-load serving. If Plazma is a little out of the budget then look into <a href="http://www.t-nation.com/store/products/surge-workout-fuel"target=“new”>Surge Workout Fuel as its used before, during and after training, so it’s still a solid peri-workout supplement. It’s very good for more endurance and metcon-style sessions as well.

Also, be sure to take advantage of the coupon codes and it’ll help with that overseas shipping.

Thanks Chris

I appreciate you taking the time to reply.

I’ll go with the Plazma and get on the case ordering tomorrow as it’s payday yeh!

Moog

Moog,
Where are you located? Which gym are you training muay thai at?

Chris,
I’m planning my next trip to Thailand, I think it will be 3 months this time.
I’ll have to save more space for luggage. I can spare maybe 5kgs (give or take) for supplements.
Any suggestions?

So far on my list is:
Z-12
Fish oil
Elitepro

Ideally I would take 18 plazma’s, but its not practical.
I’m thinking 6-8 bottles of I3Gs. (will be eating lots of rice :p) Maybe some superfood, creatine malate, bit of whey, some curcumin.

Again my main priorities are to recover for the next session asap. Training sessions typically 7-9am and 4-6pm for 6 days a week. (12 sessions a week) Depending which camp I’m staying at (i’m planning to visit 3 or 4 different camps).
Since i’ll be staying longer this time I may opt out of (most of) the morning runs and just do 20 mins skipping instead. Plazma was perfect last time, it really was. I’m approaching 34 so body not recovering as fast as it used to.

If I stay injury free and training well I might have a fight or 2 full muay thai rules.

That’s a solid list. Z-12 is a travel staple for me (new location, time zone changes etc.) One packing trick I like to use is to mix my Superfood into my protein. The ratios may not be perfect, but at least I know that every time I drink some protein I’m also covering my bases with veggies, berries, fruits, etc. You can often do the same with creatine: just toss it into your protein so you get roughly 3-5g per day.

Finibars would be handy and perfect for pre-training, but that may take up too much luggage room given the length of your trip. Maybe a box of 12 for emergency usage.

Can you fit in some <a href="http://www.t-nation.com/store/products/bcaa"target=“new”>BCAA Structured Peptides? If so you could use that around training sessions.