Biotest

Supplement Advice for 54 Y/O BJJ Practitioner

I’m 54 years old, and I recently started BJJ. I love the training (3x/week), but for several days after rolling I feel like I’ve been dragged behind a truck. I understood when I started that I wouldn’t be able to weight train like I used to, but the frequency has gone down drastically and I’ve stripped my movements to the essentials and am following “Starting Strength” template using only three movements, and I can only do this once a week.

I did the Velocity Diet a few years ago, and was happy with the results. It was my thought to use Plasma before my BJJ training (1 serving, as it is costly), followed by a protein drink once the training for the day is complete. I would supplement with additional protein drinks throughout the day.

Does this seem reasonable?

Thanks!

First, congrats on starting your BJJ journey- it’s a very rewarding and fulfilling hobby/passion/martial art/sport! I am/was a blue belt, and I trained regularly (3x/wk) for a couple years, before going into semi-retirement, lol after getting run over a couple times by that same truck. I typically prepared and drank Plasma during most classes, but in retrospect, Workout Fuel is and would’ve been the ideal and better option. I won’t retype all the product details here, but Workout Fuel is the better supplement for muscular stamina/endurance vs muscle building/rebuilding. With the money you save on WF, invest in Flameout and Curcumin, and take at least minimum dosages of these every day- your joints, ligaments, and tendons NEED this relief- combating chronic inflammation and pain will be key to keeping you on the mats. Hope this helps, God bless!

Thanks for the advice, it’s greatly appreciated!
I’ve recently started taking Osteobiflex, along with a fish oil (not Flameout) and it does seem to be helping. Did you continue with a strength training program when you were on the mat 3x a week? I’ve had to drastically cut back from what I used to do. I went from 5-3-1, to Starting Strength, and am now looking at Even Easier Strength. I’m constantly looking to trim out anything that taps into my recovery and ability to perform on the mat. It’s been difficult…

Good to hear that you’re taking some supps for inflammation and recovery- gotta maintain the machine. Regarding training off the mats, IMO there probably isn’t a right or wrong answer, other than the fact that generally speaking, overall volume (load/reps/sets) should be kept on the lower side. I think you’re on the right track with focusing on true strength training routines, but remember that bigger weights take a toll on those joints too. When I was training (at 40), stamina and endurance were more of a concern for me, so that’s largely what I focused my off the mats training on- sprinting, running, bodyweight type WO’s. Gassing out on the mats SUCKS- I wanted to mitigate that as much as I could. There’s only so much time in a week- strength/hypertrophy/stamina, hard to do it all, right? There are lots of tips and articles from incredible coaches here on T-Nation that do manage to bridge those goals together though- Christian Thib and Nick Tumminelo are two that come to mind first. Notice how many of guys you train with who don’t “look” strong or who aren’t built, ARE freakin STRONG! Training jits regularly will build your strength, just by consequence (there’s a TON of isometric contraction going on every roll). The longer you train the more you’ll realize that jits is not about strength anyway- it’s far more technique, timing, and leverage. The strong bro is gonna get tapped by a skilled “weaker” grappler. If you focus on those three right from the start of your journey, and couple them with humility and learning how to relax and maintain awareness, you’ll be able to train for a long time. Lol just watch out for the ego-filled young bucks and the other don’t-know-any-better white belts out there who are trying to win every “death match” at all costs!

Oh yeah, there are a few of the younger/lower ranked students I tend to avoid when rolling. I look for the older and/or more advanced students as both categories tend to be more much thoughtful and deliberate in how they roll, and aren’t quite as “smashie” as the younger and more testosterone-driven students, if you know what I mean, lol

I’m, generally, just working on maintaining my strength at this point, or increasing strength in those areas that may benefit me when rolling, like in my upper back. Looking back at when I started training, relative to where I am now; I’m much less prone to try and use my strength to carry me through a roll. While I may use it to defend from a choke or arm bar, I’m not as likely to try and muscle myself out from under side control, for instance. Technique, and the ability to be comfortable with being uncomfortable, rules the day when it come to BJJ.