Biotest

Summer's a Coming 04/15 Start

With summer coming, it is the best time to lose a few pounds of fat we’ve all packed on this winter. Myself, I am not overweight but I’d like to get back into my weightclass fast and look great for summer.

My weight loss goal is somewhat modest (10-15 lbs), and I begin this as the FIRST diet of my life. This is not so much about losing alot of weight, but becoming more disciplined/create new more healthy habits.

I want to do this diet because with age comes the realization that you can’t eat anything you want. In all honesty I’ve known this all my life but it has not stopped me from binging on fried foods, full bags of chips, or an 800g bag (2 lbs)of cadbury mini-eggs in one sitting (mmmmm) I love food but especially the bad stuff. Alas, it’s time to grow up a little and learn some discipline. In fact I don’t think, after these next six weeks, that it will take all that much discipline.

While the program is very strict, it is so simple and laid out well for you, and every week you have 7 days to dream up a great meal at the end for a reward. This i believe will be what will help me create a more healthy lifestyle in the days, weeks and months following the diet. If I can accomplish the discipline required here; maintaining a more healthy lifestyle will no doubt be a walk in the park.

I will be using the intermediate training program. i am active in sports however i have only been weight training for about a year. I have made some changes to fit my daily needs in this program:

The differences:
do the powers that be think this is appropriate?*
1)
I will continue kickboxing, but at a less frequent and less intense rate (technique vs drills/spar), on non-workout days. I will not do NEPA on these days (tuesday and thursdays).

NEPA will either be a brisk walk in the forest trails nearby or swim some laps in the pool here for (45-60minutes)

Here are my measurements from the end of summer and as of Tuesday April 14th.
As is probably evident I am not starting on a Monday. I will simply add the extra couple days on before the transition week (I will start tomorrow with the Wednesday workout)

Height: 6’
Weight as of Sept 2008: 160lbs BF%: 8.0 -bodyfat: 12.8lbs LBM: 147.2lbs
Weight as of January 13th 2009: 179lbs BF% 10.9% - bodyfat: 19.5lbs LBM: 159.5
Change: +19lbs (+6.2lbs FAT +12.3lbs LBM)

Neck: 14.5"
Chest 40"
Waist (navel) 32"
Largest: 34"
Hips: 34"
Bicep: 14"
Thigh: 32.5"
Calf: 15.5"

As per the plan, my diet includes:
NON-WORKOUT WORKOUT
Calories 1,485 1,815
Protein 220g 246g
Fat 42g 42g
Carb 62g 113g
Fiber 27 27g

I’ll post some before pics once my friend drops off the camera tomorrow.

heres a breakdown of my first day on the diet:
515am: 1 HOT-ROX
630am: arrive at work, have breakfast shake less the flaxseed::need to pick up tonight on way home.
930am: Work meeting and hungry. wonder if its the flaxseed?
11am: still in work meeting and not asleep (no coffee)? go HOT-ROX!
12pm: lunch
130pm: 2hot-rox
3pm: midday shake
345pm: gym

Wed workout:
Reverse lunge
35lbs 9,8,8,8,7
BB Bent over row
115lbs 8,8,8,7,5,4 -->working progress)
BB Push press
80lbs 10,8,7,8,7
BB curl
70lbs 8,7,5 60lbs 8,5 -->working progress
Reverse crunch
40reps (set)

notes: some weights to be tweaked **rev crunch too easy. should try with hands over head?weight? or hands by sides in air? (on hips right now) will repost cuz i dont expect anyone to actually read this long @55 post.

Surge Recovery chocolate: Amazing! nice surprise today with that first sip. my eyes lit up.

Good first day. smell of food drives me up the wall though. oh well sunday isnt too far away. glad i started on a wednesday so my first HSM isnt a full week away (6)

Thanks for stopping by!

Welcome aboard!

Keep the swimming to a never-out-of-breath pace. Remember, NEPA is just extra movement, not a workout, not cardio.

Be careful with the kickboxing. Sounds like you’ve planned well, but don’t let anything interfere with the intensity of your weight training.

hey, thanks for the tip. after a day on the diet i am worried about swimming. Im always hungry! but i was a chronic overeater; hopefully my stomach will shrink sooner than later. had my breakfast at 830 and already can’t wait till lunch.

i have little to do at work today (student research lab) thought about going for the walk right now but with this hunger i dunno.

Hey, everyone else have a problem with smelling food everywhere you go? day 2 and im already going nuts from the smells. Except the cafeteria here. nothing will ever coerce me into that.

Ha! I feel you on being a chronic overeater - I was/am as well. I was hungry for the first couple days - most notably in the middle of the night, as soon as I would wake up, and about an hour before each shake. On day 10, I literally have to force the shakes down. A point to mention though, is that I make my shakes incredibly thin - about 24 oz water per shake, plus ice and sip it for about an hour and a half to 2 hours.

Being a chronic overeater it was hard to not wolf it down all at once, but I’m used to it now and can’t think of drinking it any other way. Plus, I’m always full. I think of it as part of the process. I’m really listening to my hunger mechanisms, which IS a main thing for overeaters to do.

Bear with it, it will smooth out. Plus once you learn to hear the mechanisms, the other food won’t smell so good.

[quote]Polsen714 wrote:
Ha! I feel you on being a chronic overeater - I was/am as well. I was hungry for the first couple days - most notably in the middle of the night, as soon as I would wake up, and about an hour before each shake. On day 10, I literally have to force the shakes down. A point to mention though, is that I make my shakes incredibly thin - about 24 oz water per shake, plus ice and sip it for about an hour and a half to 2 hours.

Being a chronic overeater it was hard to not wolf it down all at once, but I’m used to it now and can’t think of drinking it any other way. Plus, I’m always full. I think of it as part of the process. I’m really listening to my hunger mechanisms, which IS a main thing for overeaters to do.

Bear with it, it will smooth out. Plus once you learn to hear the mechanisms, the other food won’t smell so good.[/quote]

Gawd food smells so good, but im learning to care less now. Was a rough end of the week though:: friends on friday after work tried to coerce me into a beer which has been sworn off for six weeks but i managed to turn the guilt onto them made them feel bad :stuck_out_tongue:

Making it through day 5 atm, i still find myself craving food :frowning: But i bought “fiber” pills which just so happen to be appetite supressors as well so maybe that will help?

I’m pretty happy i started midweek of the program cuz i got HSM last night with the gf which really helped. Was feeling pretty rundown yesterday i put off V-burn to today. Hopefully my energy levels bounce back up this week. i only had the energy for one round last night.

I think that gave me some extra resolve today though. NEPA was a little more intense today: 3 mile brisk walk in the forest trails for 45min.

Friday’s workout was better than wednesday: i broke a sweat this time:: maybe im doing something wrong though: gonna work on rest times and intensity.

my first attempt at deadlifts, i had a friend help out make sure i wasnt gonna pull my back.
135lbs X 9
155X8,6,9,8

D DB bench: 45x10,9,9,8,4 (last set 10sec rest)
pull ups:(overhand): 7,7,7,7,6,6
walkouts: (standing) 20x2

DEADLIFTS:
@ 155lbs i my hands are slipping (im wearing gloves though…) im not all that fatigued by the weight but my grip is. i tried a mixed grip which helped but the last set i almost lost the weight in my hand in the final rep

PULLUPS:
the neutral grip bar was way to close to the mount which made it impossible (switch to lat pulldowns next week)

WALKOUTS:
I have seen people saying they feel this alot in their arms, i agree. i didnt really think i felt this in my abs but i just made sure to stay contracted and stable/plank type stiffness through the exercise. I didnt “feel” it at the time, but i definitely felt it a little in the morning.

Saturday:

GF loved me cooking for me…um her
i have never portioned food before so i might have overeaten…ohhh it was so good though

leanest steak i could find (1 lb round gourmet steak 100%AB beef) a demi-glaze peppercorn sauce
long/wild rice pilaf with steamed veggies

Today was good
V-burn in 26:52 with small breaks to make sure i knew which exercise to do…took a minute or so break aftrer 4sets for water. it was pretty intense. loved the cold shower after!

PICS: I got’em taken thursday just been such a busy weekend. hopefully I’ll keep busy enough to forget I’m not eating solid food for another 6days :’(

no camera myself so expect #'s once a week (Tuesday’s given the time) but pics only at end.

side

Day 6
Late workday today; love sleeping in on mondays…

I may be screwing up my food intake today though. I woke up @ 10am, just had my Surge and guess I should wait a bit for lunch…then midday and supper and bedtime snack. i dont think ill be feeling any hunger pains today! That’s giving me some positive energy to start this week.

Tomorrow for kickboxing im thinking of adding a scoop of Surge Recovery to help reenergize after class which may have been what wore me out last week…

So its my first monday workout: Never done front squats so i tried to keep it lighter as i read they are harder. i will add a bit more weight next time though.

FSquat: 135x8 , 155x5,5,5,5
Chinups: 7,5,5,4,4
DB Bench: 55x8,60x5,5,5,4
Barbell rollout (from knees): x20

Hey we don’t have wheels in the gym. a Barbell is ok? is it just as hard? ill check out the “ask chris” thread…

In case you haven’t heard yet - yes a BB is fine (from the ab wheel queen).

Where in Ontario are you? I’m in NF, NY

Day 7:
175.2lbs (-3.8) measurements after work today.

Definitely made some progress; I haven’t weighed under 177 with fluctuations these these past few months (179 being the norm, up as high as 182 though). Good motivation for the rest of the week!

[quote]Polsen714 wrote:

Where in Ontario are you? I’m in NF, NY[/quote]

Is that Norfolk? If yes your in the same direction. I’m in the national capital region (Ottawa valley). 45 minutes to an hour for the crossings in Cornwall/Massena or Ogdensburg.

Can’t wait for May 24 right now, just about finishing the diet in time to help open up the cottge and BBQ. Mmm food…why do I torture myself like that, or anyone else reading for that matter. Ahh 5 more days to HSM.

[quote]Peak99 wrote:
Polsen714 wrote:

Where in Ontario are you? I’m in NF, NY

Is that Norfolk? If yes your in the same direction. I’m in the national capital region (Ottawa valley). 45 minutes to an hour for the crossings in Cornwall/Massena or Ogdensburg.

Can’t wait for May 24 right now, just about finishing the diet in time to help open up the cottge and BBQ. Mmm food…why do I torture myself like that, or anyone else reading for that matter. Ahh 5 more days to HSM.
[/quote]

hmmm, no…Niagara Falls, NY. Niagara Falls and Buffalo are 23 minutes apart (people don’t realize this) and I live smack dab inbetween the 2 cities - so I can really say I am from either depending on the person I am talking to. Never been to Ottawa - hear it’s great!
5/24 is about the time we open our camp site up too. We have land in the Allegany Park Mountians area - sooooo beautiful!

busy busy busy week good thing it keeps my mind off the food. which btw this week is getting much easier to resist. Scratch that: not think about! although i avoid such group meetings as lunch in the caf, or today the labs had a pizza day together in the commons.

Polsen:
Haha my bad, i dont make it much more south (in Ontario at least) than the GTA and barrie. Can’t believe i didnt think of Niagra though…i guess i think of Niagra as Canada? lol. We usually go through cornwall to hit up NY state from here, never been to Buffalo, or NF… by your pic looks great though!

Meanwhile i missed out last night to measure but as of today is close enough:
Weight 179 --> 175.2 ( -3.8)
BF% 10.9% —> 10.2 (-0.7) (calipers: is she measuring that accurately…i dunno…)
Neck: 14.5" --> 14.5 (0)
Chest 40" --> 40 (0)
Waist (navel) 32" --> 31.5 (-0.5)
Largest: 34" --> 33.5 (-0.5)
Hips: 34" 34 --> (0)
Bicep: 14" --> 14 --> (0)
Thigh: 32.5" --> 22.5 (i clearly typoed the first time (0) :stuck_out_tongue:
Calf: 15.5" --> 16" (0)

I’m pretty slim already im just hoping to get back under 170 from the winter weight. So all in all I figure not bad the stomach is where im looking to get rid of it all i think.

Meanwhile,
Yesterday’s kickboxing took the life out of me. I am thinking im going to put that on hold for the next 3 weeks until i get into having real meals daily cuz even just techniques can be quite the workout without enough calories to keep me going…

Wednesday week 2 (today) OW MY BACK!
I pulled something during my clean to do push presses on my first set. I tried a second set but I stopped after two in fear of making it worse. Pretty bummed about that but I’ll be going hot/cold for the night on it and hopefully be AOK for friday.

Todays workout

Reverse lunge
40lbs 8,8,8,8,8
BB Bent over row
110 lbs 8,8,8,8,8
BB Push press
90lbs 8,7, OUCH
BB curl
60lbs 8,8,8,8,7
Reverse crunch
20x2 --> this was a challenge with my back

hope its all better for Friday, at least I can walk tomorrow so no stress yet.

i saw a reference somewhere else to you being a timmy whore. Is that Tim Horton’s? I don’t think many people will know what that is - beside Ontario and WNY they are pretty scarce. But, good stuff!

*These statements have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration. This product is not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.

Disclaimer: Individual results may vary.