Biotest

Substitute for Milled Flaxseed?

Hi Chris - I have used milled flaxseed in the past and it upsets my stomach. Not in a normal “fiber” way, but in a painful and uncomfortable way. Is there anything else I can use instead of flaxseed?

[quote]esietsma wrote:
Hi Chris - I have used milled flaxseed in the past and it upsets my stomach. Not in a normal “fiber” way, but in a painful and uncomfortable way. Is there anything else I can use instead of flaxseed?[/quote]

I’ve experimented a little with chia seeds, but I prefer flax. If you go with chia, note that it “puffs up” very quickly. Leave in your shake too long and you’ll make jello.

But first make sure you followed the flax rules: always put it in the fridge after opening, etc. Sometimes people who have trouble with milled flax seeds are simply using rancid seeds. And make sure they’re indeed milled or ground up, not whole.

Now you can also try some plain sugar-free fiber supps, but you’ll be missing some of the good benefits of flax, like added healthy fats. If you have no other choice, add an extra Flameout or two per day to make up for the loss of flax.