Biotest

Stronger Guys: How's Your Strength After?

Heya,
I am a powerlifter who wants to lose some weight in-between 2 comps.
1 is in 2 weeks. The other ~22 weeks after that.

The week after the 1st comp, I would like to start the V diet.

Having a total near 2000lbs I am worried about losing strength.

My other concern is wasting 4 weeks worth of training whilst on the V-diet.

Is anyone on this forum quite strong, and survived the V-diet without too much loss.

The V-Diet – or any strict fat loss diet – is not for those in the middle of a competition season. Best to wait until another time.

Any losses in strength are temporary though. But here’s the bigger picture: I think you wrote in another thread that your health sucks and you have a spare tire. So, what’s more important to you right now: benching more or living a longer, healthier life?

Thanks Chris,
next year is the year that I want to focus on (breaking records and such).

My health is way more important. I dont look like I lift weights at the moment.

I am expecting a small set back…but I wasnt quite sure how much.
I read posts from guys and gals who are not as strong losing small amounts…and even some cases gaining strength.

But I just wanted to see what happens to the bigger guys.

I would guys though, at a higher bodyfat percentage, you would lose less strength than someone thinner

For those carrying a lot of muscle, as you may be as a competitive powerlifter, I’d suggest the addition of L-Leucine, 4 times per day with shakes. Think of it as extra “muscle insurance.”

In fact, that may just be a new standard rec for all future V-Dieters. The effects and benefits are just that good.

Also, remember that Coach Dan John set the state record in the snatch right after his V-Diet. This was possible because he lost fat, not muscle.

I’ve always maintained that extra fat doesn’t = strength, but sometimes it can appear that way. For example, if an overweight guy loses the inch or two of “moobs” and upper body fat, then the bar has to travel further in the bench press. He may seem weaker, but actually he’s just increased his ROM and may have to re-learn to bench competitively given his newer (but healthier!) body style.

Whatever you decide, keep us posted!

I’m integrating the L-Leucine starting tonight. I’ve been taking a bit in the mornings on workout days with my morning shake, but I’ll up the intake.

I started at 266 lbs…Im a big guy, not a competitive lifter though…however I do lift very regularly. I have droped 22lbs in under 5weeks and I actually put 2" of lean mass on my thighs (2" each leg) and 3 1/2" across my chest/back/lats…my strength has gone up ALOT…

I normally drink 3 scoops Metabolic shake 1.5hrs prior to the lift then 1hr prio i start sipping 1 scoop of Surge and take my HOT-ROX…the pre-workout Surge helps me alot with my lifts, I also drink the Surge through my workout and post workout as well.

Hope this helps.

[quote]thaiclinch wrote:
I started at 266 lbs…Im a big guy, not a competitive lifter though…however I do lift very regularly. I have droped 22lbs in under 5weeks and I actually put 2" of lean mass on my thighs (2" each leg) and 3 1/2" across my chest/back/lats…my strength has gone up ALOT…

I normally drink 3 scoops Metabolic shake 1.5hrs prior to the lift then 1hr prio i start sipping 1 scoop of Surge and take my HOT-ROX…the pre-workout Surge helps me alot with my lifts, I also drink the Surge through my workout and post workout as well.

Hope this helps.[/quote]

Can you say how many pounds your lifts have increased by?

[quote]DCR wrote:

Can you say how many pounds your lifts have increased by?

[/quote]

Its highly unlikely you will gain any strength while limiting fat and carb intake.

I have made a substantial cut before, I dropped carbs, added in plenty of cardio, and increased my fats intake.

I was shedding weight and had only a minimal loss of strength, I needed more recovery, but my 2 rep and max only lost about 10-20 pounds.

Granted it took longer than the V-Diet, the V-Diet is made for rapid shedding, if you want to maintain your strength your going to need to do it slower.