Biotest

Strength Gain?

Did anyone else gain strength while doing the V-Diet?

On the intermediate workout program my workout yesterday went like this

6:00am:
60 mins nepa 4.0 mph, 4% incline

7:00pm:
Week 4, 10x3:

Deadlift-325 the whole way through
30s rest
Pullup-bodyweight+25lbs
30s rest
Dip-bodyweight+45, on the last set i only got 2 1/2 reps.
30s rest

i was pulling 5lbs less on each lift the week before…i thought i would definitely not GAIN any strength…weird, just thought i would put this out there. strength gain is possible. i think it might be due to the addition of post-workout Surge. i don’t really know what i weigh but somewhere around 160 and a 30 in waist. i will post pics/measurements next monday.

[quote]cpcloud wrote:
side plank 2x80s

^ these are freakin hard.

[/quote]

HA. I was thinking that last night when I was updating my workout sheet. My first thought was ‘how the hell am I going to complete 80sec of a side plank come the 4th week?!’ Someone will probably think I am having a seizure-I shake so much!

Good work. looking forward to seeing your progress!

It is very possible to gain strength. Possibly because the change in program or nutrition but most likely a little bit of both. Remember you don’t have to build muscle (which is also possible on the V-Diet if you’ve been malnourished of protein) to gain strength, being able to recruit more fibers is an option. This is usually the result of a changing program.

Strength and/or muscle gains on the V-Diet can come from:

1. Training program change – Either the change itself or, in some cases, because the recommended V-Diet training is more effective than your previous program.

2. Adequate high-quality protein. This one mainly occurs with people who were getting inadequate protein pre-V-Diet of course.

3. Other elements of V-Diet supplementation: the Carbolin-19 in HOT-ROX for example, or the BCAA and recovery/anti-catabolic benefits of Surge.

Also keep in mind that performance in some lifts can improve because useless body mass (excess fat) is being lost. So pull-ups, push-ups, dips, vertical jump, etc. can improve, though this may not be a real “strength” gain. You simply weigh less and/or have a more functional and efficient body.

On the other hand, “strength” may be lost in the barbell bench press because as fat is lost from the chest and back, the bar has to travel farther. Increased range of motion is a good thing, but not for PRs in the bench press 1 RM, where it helps to be fat.

[quote]Chris Shugart wrote:
… more functional …[/quote]

I never thought I’d see the day. Sure I took that wildly out of context, but you still wrote it.