Biotest

Sticky Balls (Bon-Bons)

[center]Sticky Balls [/center]
At breakfast we laughed. Laughed and ate big whole-egg omelets and chocolate muffins.

At lunch we laughed. Laughed and ate a giant pizza piled with meat.

We laughed the hardest at dinner. We had guests, you see, and they were shocked that we – the “health nuts” and “exercise addicts” – served lasagna followed by not just one, but two varieties of bon-bons: coconut spice and peanut butter cup.

“You guys must have fallen off the wagon!” our guests exclaimed (a little too gleefully.)

After they licked their plates clean, we informed them that their lasagna has been low-carb, pasta-less, and volumized with eggplant and zucchini. And the bon-bons, traditionally made with sugar, milk, and corn syrup, had in fact been sugar-free and filled with insanely healthy fatty acids.

We’d sneaked “health food” onto their plates… and they didn’t even know it.

What did our guests expect? Carrot sticks wrapped in lettuce and a Tic-Tac for dessert? That’s what you have to suffer through to be lean and healthy, right?

Silly people. Silly sad people who have fallen for the misinformation spewed by out-of-date doctors and brainwashed (or perhaps brain-dead) TV and magazine dieticians.

Eating to get lean and stay lean, to build muscle and increase athleticism, has nothing to do with low-fat foods, “magical” whole grains, or portion control. It’s about choosing the right foods and supplements – foods that our biologies can thrive on; supplements that can take us way past average and all the way to extraordinary.

But enough of that. You want to know about those bon-bons, right? Yeah, I figured. Here’s the basic recipe followed by a few jazzy variations. Enjoy.

[center] Coconut Bon-Bons (a.k.a. Sticky Balls) [/center]

[center] [/center]
The Stuff You’ll Need

1 cup almond flour
1 cup unsweetened shredded coconut, plus extra for coating
dash of pink sea salt
3/4 cup of Splenda
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
2 omega-3 enriched eggs
1/4 cup Smart Balance omega-3 butter, softened
Pumpkin or apple pie spice blend (or just a hefty amount of cinnamon)

Making the Stuff

1. In a bowl, add the flour, Splenda, spices, coconut, and salt. Whisk together, then add the eggs, softened butter (I melt it in the microwave), and vanilla. Combine with a hand mixer.

2. Roll into small balls. Wet hands with water to keep “dough” from sticking as you roll. If the dough is too wet to form balls, add a little more almond flour.

3. Roll balls into extra coconut flakes to form a coating.

4. Place in freezer for an hour or so before serving, then move to fridge. The cold will keep them solid, but you don’t want them frozen.

Tempting Variations

• A tablespoon of unsweetened cocoa powder makes… (you guessed it) chocolate bon-bons! Use a full cup of Splenda with this option instead of 3/4 cup.

• A scoop of vanilla or chocolate Metabolic Drive will add some protein. Add a sprinkle of water if needed during mixing.

• Add one or two tablespoons of natural nut butter for a Reese’s Peanut Butter Cup flavor. Roll in finely chopped nuts instead of coconut.

• For additional coconut flavor, preheat your oven to 350 degrees. Spread the shredded coconut out on a flat, dry pan. Toast 4 or 5 minutes, then follow the recipe as written from step #1.

Bring these to the next office party or serve them to your friends who have no idea that healthy eating can also be very tasty eating. And when they express shock or disbelief, you can laugh too. – Chris

I just got my five-pound feedback of almond flour on Friday (thanks for the link, Chris), so this is great timing.

Saturday morning, it was a giant almond flour pancake. Saturday afternoon, it was a batch of almond flour chocolate chip cookies. Yesterday afternoon, it was almond flour muffins topped with Splenda and cinnamon. Looks like sticky balls are in future. pause

Chris I love you this morning.

Looks good…are the volumized lasagna and pizza recipes posted anywhere?

The pizza is Chris’s cauliflower pizza and the lasagna is in an article somewhere ( will search for link )

[quote]floridagirl wrote:
Looks good…are the volumized lasagna and pizza recipes posted anywhere?[/quote]

Pizza here: http://tnation.t-nation.com/free_online_forum/diet_blog_hammer_velocity_shugart/flourless_pizza_finally

Lasagna: I wrote an old recipe that used “better bad” pasta (flax infused, high fiber). It’s in the archives of TNation. But these days I’ve ditched all pasta and use vegetables in its place: eggplant, squash, zucchini, etc. Funny thing is, I’ve served it to people who had no idea that it didn’t contain pasta.

I’ll get some pics and write that up the next time I make it.

Guess I’ve only seen people talking about making it. Just do a google for pasta-less lasagna or eggplant lasagna with no noodles.

Or wait for Chris to drop his recipe. I’ve had zuccini lasagna before so it shouldn’t be too hard to find a recipe.

Did you post the chocolate muffin recipe Chris? I’ve got some chocolate Metabolic Drive on the way I’m going to add to a batch of almond flour cookies.

[quote]nateschmidt24 wrote:
Did you post the chocolate muffin recipe Chris? I’ve got some chocolate Metabolic Drive on the way I’m going to add to a batch of almond flour cookies.[/quote]

Here’s a quickie version for 12 medium muffins:

Ingredients

2 cups almond flour
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 stick (half cup) omega-3 butter, softened
4 omega-3 eggs
1/3 cup water
1/3 cup Splenda

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.

Mix dry ingredients together, then add wet ones. Mix. Bake for 15 minutes or so.

Now, to make them chocolate, you add a tablespoon of unsweetened cocoa powder or a scoop of Metabolic Drive.

Tons of options: spices, nuts, coconut, flax seed, Superfood.

Heck, I once added avocado. (See pic.)

cool thanks Chris, i did the avocado in my first batch of cookies, it was delicious

Hello Mr Shugart, your recipes are cool the meat cups great, my question basically there 2 raw eggs in this mix right, is it ok to eat raw eggs like that?. im gonna try this anyway just want to make sure the dont have to be cooked or anything.

[quote]gregoryjimenez wrote:
Hello Mr Shugart, your recipes are cool the meat cups great, my question basically there 2 raw eggs in this mix right, is it ok to eat raw eggs like that?. im gonna try this anyway just want to make sure the dont have to be cooked or anything.[/quote]

Raw eggs are actually safe to eat these days, despite the recent salmonella scare. Modern egg processing is very advanced, so you really don’t have to worry much. Now, if you ARE worried, you can buy pasteurized raw eggs.

These are great recipes! i was wondering whether almond flour could be used like other flour and these things look delicious! unfortunately I don’t have a working oven, but my wok has a vast capacity for cooking all sorts of things. I bought some almond flour recently - looks like i can use it, now.

I thought it would make a good coating flour for cooking fish too.

Here’s a recipe for almond soup, by the way - just found it today. I figured that anyone on here switching to almond flour might find it a nifty alternative to soups with noodles and other carby substances:

http://www.iberianfoods.co.uk/sopa_de_almendras.htm

[quote]Chris Shugart wrote:

[quote]gregoryjimenez wrote:
Hello Mr Shugart, your recipes are cool the meat cups great, my question basically there 2 raw eggs in this mix right, is it ok to eat raw eggs like that?. im gonna try this anyway just want to make sure the dont have to be cooked or anything.[/quote]

Raw eggs are actually safe to eat these days, despite the recent salmonella scare. Modern egg processing is very advanced, so you really don’t have to worry much. Now, if you ARE worried, you can buy pasteurized raw eggs. [/quote]

If you’re worried wash the outside of the egg with some soapy water-- if anything it’s going to be dirt on the shell that you should worry about as chris pointed out- eggs are fairly safe these days.

Not bad 'nuff! Just skip the croutons :slight_smile: Unless it’s almond flour croutons!

Chris, did you put meat in your lasagna?

Hm, corstijeir, that is a brilliant idea! :slight_smile: Oh wait, that involves an oven right? :frowning:

Think I’ll just stick to rye toast for the moment or - naked soup.

[quote]'nuffsaid wrote:
These are great recipes! i was wondering whether almond flour could be used like other flour and these things look delicious! unfortunately I don’t have a working oven, but my wok has a vast capacity for cooking all sorts of things. I bought some almond flour recently - looks like i can use it, now.

I thought it would make a good coating flour for cooking fish too.

Here’s a recipe for almond soup, by the way - just found it today. I figured that anyone on here switching to almond flour might find it a nifty alternative to soups with noodles and other carby substances:

http://www.iberianfoods.co.uk/sopa_de_almendras.htm

[/quote]

Interesting. I’ll check that out.

Almond can be subbed 1 to 1 for just about any recipe that calls for regular flour. The texture and density is a bit different, but it works well. Added bonus: no diabetes!

[quote]'nuffsaid wrote:
Chris, did you put meat in your lasagna?[/quote]

You can. Brown ground turkey in a pan, then toss it into your pasta-less lasagna before baking. Good stuff.

Found some old pics of my no-past lasagna. Here it is en medias res