Biotest

Stepping Up to the Velocity Diet Challenge

I need to lose as much fat as possible for a personal goal and with that I’m looking to make a whole lifestyle change with dieting/exercise. I travel almost all year for work and I’ve really gotten out of shape. Now I have an opportunity to go to the gym on a regular basis so I’m going to take advantage of the time and this diet to get rid of fat and to get back into regular training.

Day 1

Weight 225

Measurements:
Neck 17 ¾"
Shoulders 50 ½ "
Chest 46 ½ "
Waist 42 ¼ below, 41 at navel, 40 ¼ above
Hips 42 ¾ "
Upper Arms R-16 "
Upper Arms L- 16 ¼ “
Upper Leg R- 28"
Upper Leg L- 28 ¾"
Calf R- 16"
Calf L- 16”

Breakfast at 9:15, several cups of coffee, missed lunch and afternoon shakes, V-challenge with the 2 recommended servings of Plazma. The workout kicked my butt which let me know again that I’m really out of shape. I was able to complete the V-Burn challenge in 40m 32sec. Next weekend I’m looking forward to really nailing that time lower.

It’s around 4:30 PM and I’m feeling pretty tired and had an unsettled stomach after working out, probably from missing my lunch and afternoon shakes.

Dinner I had some leftover lamb, eggplant, tzatziki sauce, rice, asparagus, and a little pasta from last nights dinner (I hate wasting food and now there’s no leftovers to go to waste).

For my bedtime shake I’m going to add 1 scoop of protein powder since I missed my servings earlier in the day. Hopefully from now on I can stick to the diet despite how crazy life is.

Day 2
Today was a good day overall. I followed the meal plan and had a pretty decent workout. Rest times were all ~45 seconds with the dumbbell area being slightly crowded. I ended up doing some farmer’s walks just because I had to walk a ways to find space where I could actually do the workouts. The biggest issue I faced from working out was finding the correct weight for the exercise as noted. Dinner was asparagus, rice, a little bit of left over London Broil, and about a half smoked turkey leg. I re-heated it in a pan with a very small amount of (real) butter and it was delicious.

Note on weights, if there’s just a number then there wasn’t a subsequent weight adjustment.

Dumbbell Squat: 9@80lbs, 7@130lbs, 7@110lbs, 4, 4, 3, 3, 3.

DB Bench Press: 9@30lbs, 9@35lbs, 9@45lbs, 9@50lbs, 4@55lbs (I think I’m just going to start with 60#’s next time since I still had some umph after the 55’s.)

Bent Over Row: 8@135lbs, 4, 6, 5, 6, 4, 4 (the rest periods were a little more lenient on these exercises by a good 10 to 15 sec, especially on the later sets).

Plank: I didn’t count time, I simply tried to focus on “crushing the can”, maintain a straight back, and all around good form for as long as I could.

I did feel some hunger pains earlier in the morning and having lunch with the guys was tempting just because everyone there cooks good food.

Day 3
I woke up pretty tired this morning and oddly enough, dehydrated. I’ve been drinking lots of water besides the shakes, but I guess I need to drink more. Also, after yesterday’s workout, I feel like I was raped by a guerilla. My glutes and hammies really don’t like me right now. Also, a key note I discovered is to change the flavors of the shakes. Drinking vanilla is only so good the first time. Again, I was able to stick to the shake plan again for today.

I haven’t been doing the NEPA walks or anything because typically in a day’s work, I’m walking, crawling, standing, or otherwise all day long. But, I figured it couldn’t hurt so I walked a couple of miles at a decent pace. My quads immediately starting hurting which made me wonder if a guerilla tried coming at me from the front on accident. My conclusion again, yup, I’m way out of shape. After Wednesday and Friday’s workouts I think I’ll have a good enough gauge to start switching out some exercises from beginner to immediate next week so I’m thoroughly challenged (unlike the dumbbell bench press). Not saying that’s not a good exercise, I’m saying I need to challenge myself harder.

Dinner. You know, I don’t know how to count calories. I should probably look into that. Also, when I get home I want to eat everything in sight. For dinner I steamed up some fresh broccoli, cauliflower, and half of a sweet onion then seasoned them with Slap Ya’ Mamma, Salt, and Pepper. I also had half of a sweet potato as is. For protein, I had a couple of scrambled eggs and two small chicken thighs I BBQ’ed this past weekend. Again, delicious. No butter tonight, but I think I’ll live. I have the Primal Blueprint cookbook somewhere. I need to dig it up so I can start chef-ing the crap out of dinner. We have a lot of cookbooks besides that one, really it’s my wife that has tons of cookbooks, which are mostly recipes that will make the soul cheer and the heart cringe. They’re good and hearty though and those recipes will make friends out of strangers.

If there’s any input as to what I’m missing or something I can improve, please let me know.

Day 4 (yesterday’s)

Overall good day, stuck with the shake plan, and had a great workout. I forgot to go on the NEPA walk as my schedule is pretty hectic at the moment, but I’m not concerned too much as I was walking around all day at work.

Dinner was a grilled steak, with half a sweet potatoe, steamed broccoli, cauliflower, and asparagus (with some small slices of bacon).

Romanian Deadlift: 13@185, 10, 6, 7, 7, 7 (I could’ve gotten 14 on the first set, but I thought the range was at 13 and my grip was starting to go).

Lat Pulldown: 14@170, 11, 7, 7, 6, 5

Behind the neck press: 14@65, 9, 9, 6, 6, 5

Day 5 (10/6/2016)
Again, woke up pretty tired this morning and had an awful headache throughout the day. Work and life was pretty busy and I was constantly moving around throughout the day. I forgot about the NEPA walk and I completely crashed at night. I stuck with the shake plan.

Dinner was leftovers, so asparagus with bits of bacon, sweet potato slices, cauliflower, broccoli, and onions.

Day 6
Tired and exhausted this morning again. I’ve been stressed out with a lot of stuff going on lately at work and at home. Throughout the day I’ve felt really tired. When I worked out, I definitely felt weaker than I did on Monday. I also felt queasy during the workout. I know I’m getting back into shape, but I’m really starting to feel drained at this point. I think it’s time to up my bedtime shakes by one scoop. I’ve been sticking with the shake plans throughout the day. So far it’s not too difficult and hopefully that’s my mentality by the end of the program.

An interesting side note: I’ve been thinking about what I’ll be eating after this diet and as I look around through town or walking through the city, fast food and bad foods I enjoy is feeling slightly less appealing.

Dinner was asparagus, two eggs, and a steak.

Friday workout:
Sumo Deadlift: 9@185, 9@205, 5@225, 4, 3, 4, 3, 3
Incline Dumbbell Press: 5@50, 5@45, 5, 6 ,7, 6, 6
Wide Grip Lat Pulldown: 9@120, 6, 6, 6, 5, 8
Planks: As long and as hard as I could.

This. Buy a food scale and measure stuff out. Once you get an idea of portion sizes you can eyeball it.

Sweet, thank you! I’l definitely have to do that then.

Day 7

I didn’t wake up exhausted or with a headache like I had been. Upping my scoops for my night time shakes was a good decision I think. I had been really sore in my legs and my back, and that’s mostly gone now too. I stuck with the diet plan today (night time shakes is at 3 scoops now). I also hopped on the scale and I’m down 5 pounds from last Sunday. Before starting this diet, I was actually about 238lbs and I worked that down to 225 for about 2 months. Being at 220lbs (Oh yeah, I didn’t mention it earlier, but I’m 5’10") is the lightest I’ve been in years, this is awesome. I understand that weight fluctuates daily, but it’s still a good feeling and I’m excited to see the difference in three weeks. And then stick with my changed lifestyle.

Dinner was a steak (surprise, surprise. It was a value pack from the store and it fed me like 4 days which made the cost per steak pretty small, OK?), half a sweet onion sautéed with broccoli, half of a sweet potato, and two eggs. I only used enough butter just to lightly coat the bottoms of the pans.

Day 8 10/9/16
Another good day waking up and feeling pumped about life. Glad I stepped up my bedtimes shakes quantity. A really good relaxing day overall and then had an awesome V-Burn Challenge. For dinner I made Coconut Curry Chicken with cauliflower from the Primal Blueprint Cookbook and it was phenomenal.

V Burn Challenge Rounds:
Round 1- 5:18
Round 2- 5:18
Round 3- 6:26
Round 4- 8:00
Round 5- 7:51

Total time was 32min and 58sec which is a record! Last weekend it took me 40min and 31 sec so I shaved 7min and 33sec!!! Woo for fitness!

Day 9

Another good day overall. Dinner was leftover Coconut Chicken Curry, but there was only a little so I added almost half a sweet potato and a small chicken thigh with the skin on seared in a pan.

For my workout:
Front Squat- 5@155lbs, 4@165lbs, 3, 3, 2. (I switched out the dumbbell squat for this intermediate exercise, which called for heavy lift at 4-5 per set).

Dumbbell Bench Press- 9@50lbs, 9@55lbs, 9, 5, 4, 4. (The gym was crowded and the weights were all being used, so I snatched the 55’s when they became available but I definitely think I could’ve used the 60’s or 65’s if they had been available.

Bent Over Rows- 8@135lbs, 5, 4, 4, 3, 3, 3, 3, 3, 2, 2.

Plank- Crushed the can as long and as hard as possible.

I’m now reaching that awkward point in the diet where social interactions come into play. I really like the taste of a quality craft beer. I also like cookies. This makes my life difficult when I engage with my friends and family who will continue to do these things without me, which is somewhat of a bummer. But, this is for a better life and a better future, so it’s worth the sacrifice now.

Sorry, life’s been crazy lately.

Day 10 and 11 were also good days and I stuck with the plan. But there’s something noteworthy happening I’ll get to.

My workout:
Romanian Deadlifts: 185lbs- 15, 7, 7, 7, 7, 7

Lat Pull Downs: 5@160… What? I was able to crank those out last week. I was going to an Anytime Fitness (where I was pulling 170), but now I can only get 5? I’m pretty sure those weights were marked wrong or they were marked to make someone feel better about their lifts. Now I’m at a new gym that’s properly fitted for heavy lifting. My next reps were 10@100lbs, then 6, 7, 6, 5, 5, 6.

Behind the Neck Press: 65lbs- 14, 7, 5, 5, 5, 4, 3, 4, 3.

For dinner I had leftover chicken with rice and that wasn’t enough to satisfy a hungering need I had. So I had a small chicken thigh. Here’s the interesting thing, I didn’t have any vegetables. I found out my body was craving veggies, so I grabbed a raw broccoli stalk and chomped it down… and it was delicious. I’ve never said that before and I’ve never felt a need to eat veggies that much either. So, that’s a good thing to realize considering the stuff I had been eating. It was a good day.

Day 12

Today, 10/13, was a pretty good day. Things like veggies and coffee are tasting better and I’m eating slower instead of shoveling it down my throat. Good times.

Day 13
So, I finally didn’t stick with the diet today. I went over to my friends house that I haven’t been to before and his wife made mini-pecan pies (besides a really good dinner of steak, corn, and veggies). I had one and it was delicious. I couldn’t refuse because generally it’s insulting, but more than that I know from plenty of personal experiences that the sharing of food and baked goods develops really strong relationships and I didn’t want to throw that away or hinder it in lieu of this diet. If I have a healthy diet but sacrifice relationships in the process, then I’ve gained nothing. Anyways, the workout went great:
Sumo Deadlift: 185lbs- 9, 9, 5, 7, 4, 6
Incline Dumbbell Press: 45lbs- 9, 7, 6, 6, 6, 6
Wide Lat Pulldown: 120lbs- 9, 6, 5, 4, 4, 4, 4, 4.
Planks- I think I’m going to start counting the time so I know what I can previously beat, but I just held it for as long and as hard as I could.

Day 14 (10/13/2016)
I had to travel again for work, so I basically spent the day flying but I packed protein powder in baggies so I could stick with the shake plan. Even with that, I missed the afternoon shake because upon my arrival it was close enough for dinner time I didn’t want to whoof down both. And on that note, I weighed myself which got me down. My weight is at 222lbs. That’s 2 lbs. up from last week. I think I’m going to try and cut back down to 2 scoops of protein at night and also go on the NEPA walks despite how much I usually work during the day. I need a slimmer waist line so I’m thinking I’ll do additional ab work in the mornings, which I don’t if that’s a wise choice. If it hinders my main workouts, I think I’ll cut it out.
Measurements:
Neck: 17 ¾ “
Shoulders: 51 ¾ “
Chest: 48”
Waist: Above- 39 ¾ “, at navel- 40 ¾ “, Below- 42”
Hips: 45”
Upper Arms: L- 15 ¾ “, R- 15 ¾”
Upper Legs: L-27 ½”, R-27 ½”
Calf: L-16 ¼”, R-16 ¼”

So my overall measurements, my neck is the same, I gained an 1 ¼” across my shoulders, my chest is up 1 ½”, my waist hasn’t changed much, my hips are 2 ¼” larger, I lost ¼” on my arms (roughly), my upper legs are down about a ½”, but I gained a ¼” on my calves. And, I’ve only lost 3 pounds in 2 weeks overall.

I don’t know how good or significant these changes are, but they’ve got me bummed for sure. I feel stronger, I’m working out harder, and I’m tasting food better, but to me these measurements seem to not have changed much and I haven’t really lost as much weight as I thought I would being on this diet. This is my own fault for sure, but it’s hard for me to tell where specifically and what I can do to change it. So for now, the changes I’m implementing is to make sure to go on walks every day in spite of what I do every day at work, add ab exercises in the mornings, and to start counting calories every meal. I now have a food scale so I’ll figure this out. Any help would be more than appreciated as I’m trying to get down to about 15% BMI as quick as possible.

Day 15

I tried this calorie counting thing, it looks like I only had approximately 400 calories for dinner which came from 3.2oz of smoked honey salmon (nutrition facts on back), 3.6oz of stir fry with plain chicken, .9oz of avocado, and I used 2 tablespoons of olive oil. I didn’t consume that much oil, I cooked a large pan of stir fry with chicken and only had 3.6oz from the whole. This portion size is approximately the same size of dinners and made up of what I’ve had the past two weeks, so that makes me think I’ve been eating within the calorie range of this diet. I’m looking forward to what the next two weeks yield.

V Burn Challenge:
Round 1: 4:23
Round 2: 5:50
Round 3: 6:39
Round 4: 8:46
Round 5: 8:29
Total time 34m 8s (~1min 10sec slower than last week).

Day 16

It was a good day. Dinner was 8.6 oz of stir fry (100 Cal), 2.75oz of salmon (165cal), 7.35oz of Tilapia (~250 cal), plus a Kale salad thing with a drizzle of olive oil and vinagarette ( probably 200cal just because of the oils, which there was a lot left on the bottom of the bowl and on the sides). So approx. 715 calories. I went on a walk in the morning and my workout went pretty good too.

Front Squat @185lbs: 4, 1, 2, 3, 2, 3, 2, 3
Dumbbell Bench Press @55lbs: 9, 7, 5, 5, 3, 3, 4, 3, 1
Bent Over Row @135lbs: 8, 5, 5, 4, 4, 4, 3, 3, 3, 1
Plank: 24sec, 27 sec.

Only 2 scoops for my bedtime shake and now I have ZMA to compliment my life.

Day 17
I’m whooped. Pretty tired and drained throughout the day. Also, the superfoods are supposed to have 28 servings according to the back. There are definitely not 28 servings in the bag. I’m going to run out tomorrow and I’ll still have 9 days left on the diet. That’s like almost missing ¼ of the bag. I didn’t walk today, instead I did a series of joint exercises for about 20min. Also, I went on a very special date with my wife and my diet went out of the window. I had chips, salsa, guacamole, homemade tortillas, fajitas, onions, a crème brulée tart and a lemon tart. And a beer, Shiner, actually. So I’m not taking a bedtime shake because I had lots of good steak fajita.

Chis said it best in this thread. I am in no way saying he will say this about your situation or still has that opinion about the original thread anymore. Its a different situation but I still feel like his response is spot on about tough love.

As far as the Superfood, I measure mine out with the scale. Each scoop can be way different depending how packed the powder is

Yeah, Chris’ response is pretty valid pertains to my own situation. I’ve been traveling on the road for months now and I finally got to spend several days with my wife. Seeing the look in her eyes and the smile on her face that I’d be willing to binge on the diet meant a lot to her in spite of how important this diet is for the future for the both of us, especially in light of other things we’ve chosen to give up lately. That’s surely contradictory, and by my own actions I’ve set things back, but I actually didn’t eat a lot and I feel sick today from eating those sweets (they were small bite size tarts, but I hardly consume any sugar these days, even before the diet). No excuses though for the diet. I had a great time with my wife last night.

Thanks for the input and I’ll start to measure out the superfood.

Day 18

It was a pretty good day overall, except that I felt sick from the sugar I ate last night, which was most of the day. Otherwise, I went to the gym and had a pretty rad time.

Dinner was 212grams of stir fry (~80cal), and I forgot the amount of steak, I calculated it out to be 312 calories though before I deleted the conversions in my calculator. Then I had fresh avocado, with pico de gallo, and lettuce shreds to top the stir fry. I didn’t use any oils since the stir fry was frozen, so I let the veggies steam themselves.

My workout:
Romanian Deadlift @185- 15, 7, 6, 7, 8, 7
Lat Pulldown @105- 14, 9, 7, 6, 6, 8
Behind the Neck Press @65- 14, 7, 6, 4, 7, 6, 6

Day 19

Nothing really remarkable for the day. I stuck with the diet and walked for about 30min. I’ve been doing ok with sticking to 2 scoops for my bedtime shake unlike when I started the diet.

Dinner was approx. 650 calories. I forgot to save my calculations on my notepad, so it was deleted. But, it was 2 paleo quiche (both small and disappointing), strir fry veggies (suprise! I’m unoriginal and repetetive for dinner), and plain steak fajitas with seasoning.

Day 20
Today was a good day. I felt like Superman and I don’t even know why. Even before and especially after my workout. I walked for about 35min in the morning and my workout was pretty stellar. I think I’m going to increase all of my weights by 10lbs next week. I also started on Alpha Male this morning in hopes of better gains, fat loss, and curiosity out of what could happen.

Dinner was steak with a baked sweet potato and jalapeno poppers (freshly grown jalapenos stuffed with either freshly made guacamole or cream cheese and then wrapped in bacon).

Workout:
Sumo Deadlift at 185lbs- 9, 8, 5, 7, 7, 4
Incline Dumbbell Press at 45lbs- 9, 9, 8, 7, 7
Wide Late Pulldown at 120lbs- 9, then 8@135lbs, 5, 5, 3, 4, 4, 2.
Plank- 31sec and then 33sec

Day 21 (10/22/2016)

Easy rest day for me, I’ve been traveling and visiting family and friends that I have seen in a long time. Diet and shake plan good.

Dinner was a caesar salad, with fresh veggies, and a chicken breast covered in onions and peppers.

Day 22

Good day overall, stuck with the plan, and had fun.

Dinner- two plain small hamburgers with a slice of pepperjack cheese each and two hotdogs. No worries, I didn’t use condiments. I ate a lot of fresh broccoli and cauliflower too.

My workout: pretty stellar, the overall time was 24:17, which was 9min and 51sec faster than last week!
Round 1- 3:27
Round 2- 3:41
Round 3- 3:48
Round 4- 3:52
Round 5- 4:32

My weight is down to 220 and my measurements are making me feel better. My upper body is visibly more defined and my wife thinks I look way better, which is really what I care about.

Neck- 17 1/2
Shoulders- 51 1/2
Chest 47
Above navel- 38 3/4, at navel 39 1/2, below- 40 3/4
Hips 44 1/4
Upper arms L- 15 1/2
R- 15 3/4
Upper Legs L- 27
R- 27 1/4
Calf L- 16
R- 16

Basically I lost about an inch off of my waist and I lost between 1/4" to 1" everywhere else except for my right upper arm, which stayed the same.

Day 23 (10/24/2016)

It was a good day except for the fact I was exhausted all day long. It didn’t help that I was in class getting a lecture on stuff. Otherwise things were good. Sore for the most part, it probably wasn’t a good idea to workout right before I went to bed last night, but I wasn’t going to skip the V-Burn challenge either.

I had a taco salad for dinner and it was amazing. Butter leaf lettuce, with freshly cut squash, zucchini, bell peppers, baby cucumbers, with organic ground beef and organic ground turkey in seasonings. I topped that with organic salsa (it was only like 10cal per table spoon, so I was liberal with it). It was fresh and tasted great!

My workout: (I increased all of my loads by 10lbs and it was a good decision)
Front Squat @175lbs: 4, 2, 2, 2, 2, 2, 2, 1, 2, 1
Dumbbell Press @65lbs: 9, 6, 5, 4, 4, 4, 3, 3, 2
Bent over Row @ 145lbs: 8, 5, 3, 4, 4, 4, 4, 3, 3, 3 ( I know I went over by 1, but I was excited)
Plank: 26sec and 27sec

Day 24
I started out this morning with my NEPA walk (1.59 miles in 17:32). Things are going well. I miss eating though. It’s the texture think. I used to really enjoy crackers and crunchy stuff, now I’ve pretty much avoided that. Also fruit. I miss that stuff. I’ve basically cut it out since I’d rather spend my calories on veggies and proteins. I’ve learned a lot over this diet, about taste, control, and a little about myself in the process. As the end of it comes near, I’m grateful for the journey and for what I’ll carry on with afterwards.

Dinner was a tender beef pot roast, two small (and I mean really small compared to regular ones), steamed asparagus, and some carrots. And a heap-full of seasonings. I love me some good seasonings.