Biotest

Steady State Cardio

Hi Chris,

What do you think of steady state cardio?

I have recently started cycling with a group in the attempt to increase my cardiovascular fitness. I also enjoy the fresh air and the social side of it.
Im riding with the group 2-3 times a week, and I spend 3 times a week at the gym lifting.

Im noticing a lot of the cyclists can out-ride me, although they have fairly average physiques.

Do you have any rules/recommendations when it comes to steady state cardio?

tweet

Pretty worthless unless you want to be hungry and skinny or skinny/fat. I much prefer shorter, more intense sessions for conditioning: sled work, battle ropes, sprints, KB swings, etc.

No need to skip the fun though if you enjoy cycling, but too much will interfere with muscle gains. I’d load up on MAG-10 during such sessions to avoid any catabolism.

But it’s all about picking a goal. Maybe your goal isn’t the most hypertrophy possible, and that’s fine.

Thanks for the advice.
No, maximum hypertrophy is not my goal, but I don’t want to be skinny-fat either. I just want to be strong and fit, and of-course look good.

Im planning to ride for about an hour 2-3 times a week. Im currently taking bcca’s before getting on the bike, but I will look into MAG-10.

Thanks again.

tweet

[quote]theBird wrote:
Hi Chris,

What do you think of steady state cardio?

I have recently started cycling with a group in the attempt to increase my cardiovascular fitness. I also enjoy the fresh air and the social side of it.
Im riding with the group 2-3 times a week, and I spend 3 times a week at the gym lifting.

Im noticing a lot of the cyclists can out-ride me, although they have fairly average physiques.

Do you have any rules/recommendations when it comes to steady state cardio?

tweet[/quote]

Your good at what you practice, although they may not look the part the point is they probably have been riding for a certain period of time past your own experience. Its a lot like getting into game shape for an athlete, sure they may be fit but it usually takes a few games to get into what many call “game shape” where playing say basketball feels normal body wise to what they were used to.

If you want to keep up with them, keep riding and eventually you will build your tolerances to it and will soon keep up with them. Definitely take along something like Surge Workout Fuel or FINiBARs(once available) this will ensure better energy, hydration and that you aren’t creating a total muscle loss session. Just my 2cents though.

And as CS mentioned, obviously it will effect strength/muscle gains but if that isn’t the priority see my above thoughts.