Biotest

Starting V-Diet with Hubby Aug 1st

not sure if i should post here or on figure athlete? i actually started a thread over there in the journals section if anyone wants to follow.
Hubby and I are giving it a go together, I’m sure he’ll be posting here too. I’ll turn 35 aug 6th, I weigh 139lbs, I’m 5’6", and have 3 kids (11, 9, & 18mo old) all girls :slight_smile: Anyway, we are excited and will keep a log.

Today we did measurements…blah…

Jul 31, 2008

waist 32
hips 40
thigh 21.5
calf 13.5
chest 37
under breasts 31.5
nipple to belly 7.75
shoulders 42.25
arm 11.5
neck 12.75
weight 139.6

Awesome. Having a partner on the V-Diet can be very helpful – no one sitting around eating tempting things in front of you!

Here’s something I’m working on for the V-Diet book you may find helpful. Hope you don’t mind if I post it here:

The Positive Partnership

Many people choose to do the V-diet with a friend, spouse, or boyfriend or girlfriend. This is a great idea. Women thrive in groups or partnerships, from training partners to diet partners. Men do too, especially if there’s an element of competition. Men compete with each other while women tend to support each other. It’s in our base natures.

Couples do well on the V-Diet together too. After all, if you’re having your nineteenth shake of the week while your spouse is having pizza, friction can occur. The V-Dieter may resent the pizza eater, or the pizza eater may resent the V-Dieter for having the willpower to tackle his or her weight problem. But doing the diet together removes all those possible problems, if a positive partnership occurs.

A positive partnership is supportive. It can be supportive via positive pep talks and encouragement, or it can be supportive through the careful use of “tough love.” Some people simply respond better to a verbal butt kicking than hand holding. In a positive partnership, one person will simply keep the other motivated and on track.

The Negative Partnership

Negative training and diet partners are supportive too, just in a counterproductive manner. Negative partners don’t sabotage one another, rather, they work together to rationalize cheating on their diets, skipping workouts, or having lazy workouts.

Their mentality is one of partners-in-crime. If one V-Dieter says she thinks she’s going to skip that day’s NEPA walk, the other may justify this and agree to skip her walk as well. Spouses may justify a weekday cheat meal at a restaurant. This type of negative support is comforting because human beings feel better about negative or destructive behaviors if these behaviors are performed in a group setting, something known as deindividuation in the field of psychology. “You lie to me, I’ll lie to you, and we’ll all be happy” seems to be the motto of these destructive tag-teams.

Obviously, negative partnerships are to be avoided. If you find yourself in one, get out or choose to be the strong member, the one who pulls the other up instead of participating in the downward spiral. As with many of these psychological and social issues, awareness is the key. Once you’re knowledgeable about this pitfall, it should be easy to avoid.

Best of luck to both of you! Is he going to post his log training/measurements etc as well? I’d recommend it so you are both watching the numbers go down for each other.

Hey Banu! Welcome to the V-Diet. I’m currently on Day #5, and with the exception of the first couple of days, it’s not been too terrible. (Although that could change the next time I smell a hamburger cooking on the grill…)

We’ve got some similar stats, so it’ll be interesting to see how you do.

Good luck!

love the response from Chris. Thanks!

yes he is posting right now. dont know if he’ll put his numbers up but we have them in the computer.

so Kristen…some similar stats? what are they? :slight_smile:

I’m the hubby. I did a test run yesterday and when I took the last shake last night with milled flax seed, it was all I could do not to throw up. I did a quick forum search and found a few suggestions including dropping the milled flax seed (too late for that option), using less water for the shake (again too late) or diet ginger ale. Rushed to the store for the ginger ale.

Diet ginger ale almost made me throw up because of the taste of the artificial sweetener, so I broke down and bought regular ginger ale (Schwepps, for you kids keeping score) and drank about four swallows of it. Problem solved. Hopefully the ginger ale will get me through the first few days, because the nausea was overpowering. I will include it in the calorie count and pull back the milled flax seed in exchange to help alleviate the nausea. Must–push–through.

But here’s the deal: whatever. If women can go through morning sickness, then by Dan John I can get through three days of nausea. Who. Cares.

I weighed 170 pounds of hard farm muscle when I graduated from high school. One year later I attended a camp for three weeks where they had a very huge all-you-can-eat buffet three times a day. All we did was sit in class, then hit the buffet. So I took full advantage of the buffet and gained 28 pounds in three weeks.

That was my induction into Sedentary Life and I have been overweight ever since. A year and a half ago I got into kettlebells (the movie 300 inspired me to get my ass in gear!) and I have definitely lost some fat, but I am still 197, but with more muscle and less fat.

I am doing the Velocity Diet because I want to drop this extra 25 pounds of baggage that I have to haul up the pullup rack and throw around while I’m swinging kettlebells. Pretty sick of it. I can currently run a 6:20 mile, but I’m thinking that after the Velocity Diet that will drop dramatically because I won’t be hauling around 25 pounds of all-you-can-eat buffet from 11 years ago.

Now I just have to get through the nausea wall. Pray to Pavel or Dan John or to Jesus or whoever it is you pray to for me.

And here are my stats and some befores:

weight: 196
waist: 38
hips: 41
thigh: 23
calf: 15
chest: 41.75
nipple to belly: 9
shoulders: 48
arm: 13.75
neck: 16.5

Side view. The belly! The belly! Curse the belly!

And back view, in case you were wondering just what in the hell you’re looking at.

You do realize that regular ginger ale has a bunch of sugars in it thus defeating the purpose of a low carb diet such as the v-diet. Drop the ginger ale. Metabolic Drive is some good tasting stuff even though you don’t know it until you have tasted how bad other stuff tastes.

I have tasted other protein drinks and you’re right: Metabolic Drive tastes a lot better. The problem isn’t the taste. My pancreas doesn’t work so well (I’ve been hospitalized for pancreatitis a couple of times) so digesting intense new foods isn’t necessarily my strong suit. I am aware that ginger ale has sugar in it. I drank four swallows, which was less than half of the little bottle I bought. The whole bottle was 50 calories, so four swallows was about 20 calories.

If I can add 40 or 50 calories for the first three days to get through the nausea, with the other option being staying up all night sitting in front of the toilet hoping that I don’t throw up, I’m going to go for the added calories. I’m not trying to mess with the diet, so I took the least drastic measure necessary to stick with the approved plan. I will use it sparingly and drop it at the first possible moment.

Chris spoke of being an all-or-nothing kind of person, and I definitely fall into that category, with the nothing end winning out because of perfectionism. It’s a system of messed up thinking that I only really became intimately aware of about a year ago. I’m not going to let that line of reasoning kick me out of the diet. I have to deal with the nausea because I have a job and I can’t stay up all night staring at a toilet. That being said, I will ditch it as soon as I can and use as little of it as possible. I just want to break through and drop this weight!

helllooooooooo

Great to do that together…I am not gonna say good luck, because as Chris pointed out, this diet has nothing to do with luck…:slight_smile:

Have a great start…just 4 weeks, you can do it :slight_smile: :slight_smile: :slight_smile:

[quote]banu0806 wrote:
so Kristen…some similar stats? what are they? :)[/quote]

I’m 39, weighed 141 when I started the V-Diet. Also have kids (twin girls.) I don’t want to hijack your thread, so you can go to mine: http://www.T-Nation.com/tmagnum/readTopic.do?id=2359961

Good luck to you both!

[quote]jeremyfirth76 wrote:
I have tasted other protein drinks and you’re right: Metabolic Drive tastes a lot better. The problem isn’t the taste. My pancreas doesn’t work so well (I’ve been hospitalized for pancreatitis a couple of times) so digesting intense new foods isn’t necessarily my strong suit. I am aware that ginger ale has sugar in it. I drank four swallows, which was less than half of the little bottle I bought. The whole bottle was 50 calories, so four swallows was about 20 calories.

If I can add 40 or 50 calories for the first three days to get through the nausea, with the other option being staying up all night sitting in front of the toilet hoping that I don’t throw up, I’m going to go for the added calories. I’m not trying to mess with the diet, so I took the least drastic measure necessary to stick with the approved plan. I will use it sparingly and drop it at the first possible moment.

Chris spoke of being an all-or-nothing kind of person, and I definitely fall into that category, with the nothing end winning out because of perfectionism. It’s a system of messed up thinking that I only really became intimately aware of about a year ago. I’m not going to let that line of reasoning kick me out of the diet. I have to deal with the nausea because I have a job and I can’t stay up all night staring at a toilet. That being said, I will ditch it as soon as I can and use as little of it as possible. I just want to break through and drop this weight![/quote]

I’m assuming you have a kroger near you as they are a huge grocery chain in America. If you do, go find the water section. They sell carbonated flavored water which personally tastes awesome (I enjoy lemon lime, cran-raspberry, and dragonfruit, and black cherry the best). They are zero calorie and may give you that little taste booster that you need without the calories.

I’ve done the v-diet before and know what you’re goin through (granted I did it out of necessity since I had no money and only protein and peanut butter for 4 weeks being a someone poor and just graduated from college without a job yet) and how miserable it can be. That being said, the results are worth it if you stick it out so best of luck.

In regards to your pancreas, have you checked with a doctor about being able to get any type of meds for the nausea?

I haven’t talked to my doctor because I don’t really have one. I normally just avoid fatty foods, which seems to be the trigger. Well, fatty foods and stress. And really spicy food does it, too. The doctor gives me Protonix when I have a problem (which is a proton pump inhibitor. That just means it turns off some of the digestive juice factories in your stomach.)

So out comes my blue-collar background on day one: I don’t like doctors. Nor cops, but that’s a different story. I think doctors are full of shit most of the time. So I manage on my own most of the time. (The hospitalization came from not knowing what was causing the problem. Even the doctors didn’t know the first time. They thought it was ulcers.) I have shot and edited many videos for the health care system, and I found out that the idea of using the scientific method in the medical industry is still very controversial and revolutionary. I’m serious. You couldn’t make this shit up.

Anyway, I’ll be fine. And I probably won’t even take the ginger ale. I’ll just harden the fuck up. This video is my inspiration:

Heh I like the video. Well keep in mind ya need your good fats on this diet and in life in general. Hopefully your body will adjust.

Banu’s 1st day:

So first off I’m so excited that hubby HAS to go on a walk with me :slight_smile: My mom, grandma and I used to take 2 walks a day when we I was a teenager and we lived close and so I like walks but hubby was always impatient with it so it will be nice.

This morning my first thought was "damn! I forgot to eat the rest of my favorite ice cream last night. THEN in my email was a coupon for a free ice cream at Baskin Robbins for my Bday (aug 6th) :frowning: yep, I’ll be on it for my Bday.

So on our walk we got a little dizzy probably from the HOT-ROX mixed with sun but it’s cool, well…hubby barely made it bitching the whole way (haha) and now he can’t shut up (chatty from the HOT-ROX) as we are making shakes. Also relishing in the realization from a man about how tough I was during pregnancy…nausea, indigestion, organs getting all squished up, baby beating me up from the inside plus pushing on my bladder, back hurting so bad I could barely walk, all the while trying to be in a good mood and be a “good wife” and mom :slight_smile:

OK, not really impressed with the banana shake flavor, bleh. I know there is worse out there but I found this one I was having before called Spiru-teen that had vitamins in it too that was really good. hubby made banana/choc, that is better. oh well.

So here are my before pics. blah, blah, & blah.

No ass, I know, I’m working on it with kettlebell!!! No women swimmers have asses.

My new favorite word: whatever. Don’t feel well. Whatever. Have to gag the shakes down. Whatever. I’m a chatty idiot on HOT-ROX. Whatever. This is a lot harder than I thought it would be. Whatever. Watching the 300 trailer over and over again helps. Whatever. I smell like a practice jersey that’s been hanging in the locker room for a whole season. Whatever. My wife is outing me for being a complainer.

Whatever. I posted pictures of myself in my underwear without sucking in my gut and without hiding my face. Whatever. What the fuck ever. And no, I haven’t hit the ginger ale. Whatever. My left brain has a much firmer grip over me than I wanted to admit. Whatever. What the fuck ever, dude. What. Ever.