Biotest

Starting V-Diet on Wednesday

I did the V-Diet a couple years ago, in an attempt to get in shape before a vacation with friends. It was a great success, but I went from the last day of the V-Diet to drinking and binge eating with friends the next day. I wasn’t focused on changing my habits, and I quickly gained back all the weight.

This time, I have long term goals in mind. I’ve completely stopped drinking for the last three months. Now, I want to tackle my diet. I know the diet works, and I’m going to use it to get in the best shape of my life and stay there. My supplies arrive tomorrow, and I start on Wednesday. Here are my starting stats.

Height: 5’7"
Weight: 210lbs
Neck: 16 1/4
Shoulders: 51"
Chest Upper: 44 3/4"
Chest Lower: 44 1/4"
Waist Navel: 43 3/4"
Waist Largest: 44"
Hips Largest: 43 3/4"
Upper Arm Left: 16 1/4"
Upper Arm Right: 16 1/4"
Upper Leg Left: 27 1/4"
Upper Leg Right: 27"
Lower Leg Left: 18 1/2"
Lower Leg Right: 18 1/4"
Ankle Left: 9 1/2"
Ankle Right: 9 1/2"

I’ll post my “before” pics once I have my “after” pics.

My Squat is 330lbs, Deadlift 405, and strict overhead press 155lbs.

My goals are to keep my strength levels and, over the next six weeks, get down to around 185 - 190lbs. Then, take six weeks off the V-Diet, and get down to around 180 with just clean eating. Then, take another run at the V-Diet and try to get down to 165 - 170. So, in about 18 weeks, I’ll be around 40 - 50 pounds lighter. I’ll update at least once a week.

Unfortunately, my shipment of supplements was delayed. It arrived today, so I’ll start the diet tomorrow. I’ve probably added a couple pounds in the last couple of days… I’m eager to get started!

Hope you take off whatever lbs you’ve packed on while waiting for your V-Diet to start and then some.

Good luck with the first day, it wont be hard. After the 2nd-6th you’ll notice some weird feelings… Fight through it. Then you’ll get an HSM. Then it begins again, and the weird feelings will be drastically reduced and you can work much harder in the gym now. So push HARD!

You can do big things here. Strength and honor. You got this.

So, the diet is underway. I’m nearing the end of Day 2. 100% compliance so far. I definitely want some solid food, but I’m nowhere near breaking. I actually really like the freedom that comes with not having to think about eating all. First workout is tomorrow.

Esoteric Fish, you make a good point about the freedom that comes with not eating. I did not realize just how much of my life revolved around food until I started this diet. It will change my habits a lot.

I just completed my first workout, the Intermediate Level. I have never done a workout like this, so tell me how my numbers look.

The workout was MUCH tougher than it looked. And I’ve been working on my back squat, so switching to front squat was rough. Also, I’ve only done barbell bench press. I had a difficult time getting the dumbbells in position (I use a plate loaded dumbbell, so they’re pretty big and cumbersome). Anyway, here’s what I did:

Front Squat (185#) - 5/2/2/1/2/1/1/2/1/1/2

Chin Up (50#) - 5/2/2/2/2/2/1/1/1/1/1

Dumbbell Bench Press (80# each) - 5/1/3/2/2/2/2/3

Ab Wheel - 7/5/4/4

I think the weights were about right, maybe a little heavy. I think it’ll help if I practice my front squat form more often as a warm-up. I rested way too long on the Dumbbell bench press, but that was because I couldn’t figure out how to get the dumbbells into position. That seemed to take more energy than the actual pressing. I finally got a good technique, but I may still lighten them next time.

Even with those problems, it was still a very good (that is, unpleasant) workout. I can already feel that my legs are going to be extremely sore tomorrow. My left hamstring is twitching. Good stuff.

I’ve got to go down 2 more shakes now. I’m not hungry at all, and the thought of the shakes makes me want to throw up - but I need the protein (I need to keep telling myself that… I need the protein…).

I’m at the end of day 5. The diet is still going fine, although I have a pretty hard time finishing all the shakes. I tend to space them out too far, and then I have to drink the last couple pretty quickly in the evening, which makes me nauseous (and makes me go to the bathroom all night). That’s the only thing I need to tighten up, the schedule. I’ve had no problem resisting food.

I started the diet just taking one HOT-ROX in the morning, but today I added one in the afternoon as well and felt fine, so I’ll keep that up. I’ve been walking a couple miles every day (school is about 2 miles away, which works well).

I just finished my second workout today. It was pretty tough. I’ve been trying to get my basic strength up for the last couple months (Heavy squats, overhead presses, and pullups - with plenty of rest). I’ve never really done single leg work like reverse lunges (I almost fell over at first). And I haven’t done a curl in a decade or so. Here’s what I did:

Reverse Lunges (50# Dumbbells) - 8/7/5/4/4/3/3/3/3 (I thought 50# would be light, but it seemed heavy. Also, I had to down my shake right before working out, and the lunges almost made me puke).

Bent Over Rows (135# Barbell) - 9/8/5/5/4/4/4/1

Push Press (115# Barbell) - 8/6/5/4/5/4/4/4

Barbell Curl (85#) - 8/5/4/3/3/3/3/3/3/3/2

Reverse Crunches - 13/10/9/8

I’d be curious to hear whether these numbers look about right, given my inexperience in the lifts and my max lifts (deadlift 405, Squat 335, overhead press 155). I really have no idea where about I should be, especially for the lunges. Like I said, 50# felt about right, but I expected I’d be able to do more…

Day 6 - This will be my first Healthy Meal day. I weighed myself this morning, and I was at 206.4 (-3.6 pounds… probably more, in fact, since I’m sure I added a couple pounds before I started the diet). I tried taking my measurements, but I found it very frustrating. I’m not able to get consistent results; my technique is clearly not right. I’m going to go by the mirror, and I’ll take measurements at the end, when the results are more clear cut.

I’m headed to Whole Foods to buy some actual food for my healthy meal. I’m thinking of some roasted chicken, with a side of grilled shrimp, some Kale and onions, cheese and whole wheat crackers, and some berries for dessert. Wow, that sounds good! I saw some one snacking on nice cheese and crackers the other day, and I’ve been craving them ever since. I know crackers aren’t the best carb source, but I’ll get the healthiest one I can and try not to over indulge.

On a side note, I haven’t been sleeping as much as I should. I need to go to bed earlier. I’ll take the weekend to reset my schedule.

Day 7 nearing an end.

I had my free meal last night. I ended up eating some kale, and a bunch of onions cooked in coconut oil, a grass-fed steak, and some whole wheat crackers with cheese. It wasn’t that great, actually. I think I would have preferred something lighter, like some chicken.

Also, I got the wrong kind of cheese, which was disappointing. The meal was very filling though, so I didn’t have my final shake yesterday. Anyway, next week I’ll try a chicken salad or some sushi.

I had my third workout today. I’ve been feeling pretty run down, but I was dragging ass the whole workout. I couldn’t really push myself on the deadlift. I feel like I pooped out after the first set and just stayed there. Also, I had to sub dips for the decline bench (no decline bench). And I know I can do 9 goddamn pullups, but I was spent by the time I got there. Here’s what I did:

Deadlift (315#) - 9/4/3/3/2/2/2/3/2/2/2/2/2/2

Dips (Bodyweight) - 9/5/4/4/3/3/2/3/2/2/3

Pullups (Bodyweight) - 6/4/3/3/3/2/2/2/3/3/2/2/2/3

Walkout (from knees) - 9/6/6/3/5/6/5

I’m a little worried about the diet. I’ve been having trouble sleeping, and after my free meal I feel like a I gained back all the weight I lost in bloat. Don’t get me wrong; I’m sticking with the diet for the full six weeks. I’m just feeling a little down about it at the moment. I’m sure a good night’s sleep will help.

DAY 12 - So, I’ve got some good and some bad to report. First, the bad. I’m at the end of my semester, and I over the last couple of days, I’ve had a ton of paper grading to do. This means I had very little free time and that I was sleeping only a couple hours a night. So, I’ve been exhausted. I tried to do my V-Burn challenge workout on Monday, and I failed. I did half in about 15 minutes, felt like I was going to puke, and stopped. I bitched out.

I was pretty disappointed in myself. Then, I was supposed to do my 4th workout on Tuesday, and I just did not have the time with all the work I had to finish. I know others fit their workouts in with less time than I had, so I don’t want to make excuses. I just dropped the ball. Finally, I’m just about out of shake supplies, so I had my 2nd healthy meal last night, a little earlier than I would have liked (end of Day 11), in order to stretch my supplies. Sushi, and lots of it. It was great.

Now, the good news. I managed to stick to the diet, pretty easily. Even though I was exhausted, and that’s usually when I pig out on junk food, I just) had my shakes. (There was a day when I couldn’t finish my last shake, but I never had anything else to eat. Also, I’ve gotten my walk in every day. And I expect a LARGE order of shake supplies to arrive today, so I should be set, through the transition two week period.

I returned all the papers I needed to grade, so the stressful period is behind me. It should be smoother sailing from here on out. I plan to really tighten up the details of the diet here for the last 2 weeks. I’ll have the time to SLEEP much more, which will help. I’ll push my workouts back a day, so I’ll do the workout I was supposed to do on Tuesday today instead. And next week I will CRUSH that damn V-Burn challenge. This rough patch has really re-focused me.

Workout 4 - This was not good. I had missed a couple of workout days (while not sleeping), and it took its toll on my strength.

Front Squat (185#) - 5/2/2/2/1/1/2/1/1/2/1 - This was actually OK. Not as tough as last week.

Chin ups (35#) - 4/1/2/2/1/1/2/1/2/1/1 - I don’t what the fuck happened here. I started with 50# (like last week) and I could barely do 2, so I lowered the weight to 35#, which was still heavy. FUCK. MORE SLEEP, AND NO MORE MISSED WORKOUTS!

Dumbbell Bench Press (70#) - 5/5/3/3/3/1 - This seemed a little light. I think 75# is the magic number here.

Ab Wheel - 9/6/3/2

On a side note, I had been drinking mostly the chocolate shakes. They caused some serious digestive problems. Let’s just say they looked about the same going in as they did going out. I was also producing amazing amounts of gas. Well, I switched to the banana and strawberry shakes, and things have gotten MUCH better. I don’t know what’s in the chocolate shakes, but anyone experiencing similar problems should steer clear of the chocolate IMO.

Day 15: Quick Update - I weighed in at 203 this morning, down at least 7 pounds, probably a couple more. I was hoping for 202, but this is still pretty good. I’m pleased, especially given my lack of sleep for the first two weeks. I look forward to doing even better in the next two weeks!

Hope its all still going well! These next two weeks make sure you keep up the NEPA!

Completed Workout #6 - This went better. My left thigh cramped up almost immediately on the lunges, but I fought through the pain. And I almost puked on the push presses, but choked it back and finished strong.

Reverse Lunges (50# dumbbells) - 9/5/5/4/5/4/3/5

Bent Over Rows (135# barbell) - 9/6/4/4/3/4/3/3/4

Push Presses (115# barbell) - 9/8/6/4/3/3/4/3

Barbell Curl (85#) - 9/5/3/3/3/3/2/2/3/2/2/3

Reverse Crunches - 14/10/9/7

Day 17 - I had my third healthy meal yesterday (pretty early in the third week, but it fit my schedule/desire well). I had Chinese food with my girlfriend, but I kept it pretty clean: vegetable soup, beef and veggies, some shrimp fried rice, and a couple spring rolls. Not great, but MUCH healthier than I would usually get.

I did workout 7 today. I still feel like I’m losing strength, but I’m coming off a pure strength workout program, so I guess that’s too be expected. My muscle stamina is pretty bad, it seems. I takes me a ton of sets to finish these workouts, but I do finish.

Deadlift (315#) - 8/3/3/3/3/3/2/2/2/2/1/1/3/1/3

Dips (Bodyweight) - 9/6/4/3/3/3/3/2/2/2/3

Pullups (Bodyweight) - 7/4/3/2/2/3/2/2/2/3/2/2/2/2/2

Walkouts (from knees) - 13/8/8/6/5

Day 20 - I’ve fallen behind on my workout schedule a bit, but I did the V-Challenge for the second time today. The first time was a complete failure; I only finished half of it. This time, I finished the whole thing. It took me 48 minutes, and I wanted to puke the whole time - but I finished it.

Thanksgiving was tough. I had already eaten my healthy meal for the week, so no turkey for me. I just drank my shakes. I still struggle with finishing all the shakes, but I get it done. I’ve also been struggling to get my workouts in; like I said, I’m a couple days behind, but I’ll do all of them. I have been walking at least a couple miles a day, though.

Anyway, this sucks, and I really look forward to finishing up. But at the end of week 3, I’m entering the home stretch, and I’m beginning to see the results. I’m waiting to take measurements, but my pants are looser, and I’m down two notches on my belt. Most importantly, those shakes are so sweet, I really find myself craving real food - chicken, beef, salad, cheese (and not candy!). I really need to take advantage of this change in cravings. That will be the biggest gain of this diet.

Workout 9 completed. 20 seconds rest seems ridiculous! I barely had time to curse before I was back under the bar. I seriously kept trying to think “I’m going to quit!”, but I couldn’t finish the thought… I was like, “Fuck this, I’m going… oh, time to squat again…”. Many, many sets of singles. My muscle endurance apparently sucks - but I finished.

Front Squat (135#) - 5/2/1/1/1/1/1/1/1/1/1/1/1/1/1

Chin-ups (35#) - 4/2/2/1/1/1/2/1/1/1/1/1/1/1

Dumbbell Bench Press (75#) 5/5/3/3/2/2

Ab-Wheel (from knees) - 11/5/4

Workout 10 - Not so bad. 35 seconds of rest is much easier than the 20 from the last workout.

Reverse Lunges (50# DBs) - 9/7/6/5/5/4/4

Bent-Over Row (135# Barbell) - 9/6/5/5/4/3/3/3/2

Push Press (115# Barbell) - 9/8/5/5/5/5/3

Barbell Curl (85#) - 9/5/5/3/3/3/3/2/3/4

Reverse Crunch (floor) - 20/14/6

Day 26 - Almost finished… almost… finished…

Things are going well. I’m finally under 200lbs. That was a big mental/emotional goal. I’ll give a more complete report when I’m all finished.

I’m really looking forward to starting the transition period. I know I NEED to take advantage of this. I’m planning on having a BIG salad everyday for lunch during the first week of the transition, and then adding a breakfast of meat, nuts and berries during the second week. If I can really get into the habit of eating a healthy breakfast and lunch, my life will be greatly improved.

I did workout number 11 today:

Deadlift (315#) - 8/3/3/3/3/2/1/2/1/2/1/1/1/1/2/1/1/2/2

Dips (Bodyweight) - 9/7/5/4/4/3/3/3/2

Pullups (Bodyweight) - 8/4/3/2/2/2/2/2/2/2/2/2/2/2/3

Hand Walkouts - 11/8/7/7/7