Biotest

Started V-Diet Yesterday

So I was going to do the V-Diet without telling anyone because I’ve always been the type to keep to myself. But after reading various admonishments from Chris and others, I’ve decided to at least share my journey with the T-Nation community.

However, no one in my personal life really knows that I’m doing this (people in my circle seem to be against supplements and “extreme diets”).
But after starting the diet yesterday, I know that I will need some support from some people to get me through it.

However, that’s not to say that I am not self motivated–because I am!!
I don’t have my before measurements handy but will post them later today or tomorrow. But for the basics:
female
height 5-4
weight 177

YESTERDAY

I must say, the day before yesterday (Sunday) I was really stoked about doing the V-Diet. I could barely sleep–I just wanted to get started. So when Monday finally rolled around, I was up at 6:30 am getting prepared to take my morning supps/shake (my plan was to get up around 8 or 9, as my school is on spring break).

To my surprise, the shakes were sort of hard to get down (I have ALL chocolate). However, I had absolutely NO cravings which was nice. But the hunger pains hit me pretty hard in the late afternoon/early evening. I just drank some water to try to quell the hunger.

I did my NEPA in the morning(walked the dog for about an hour) and lift (I felt good during/after the lift–although I think I need to lower the load because my work tempo probably should be faster.

It was very hard for me to sleep. I kept waking up every couple hours,had the most bizarre dreams, and went from hot and sweaty to having the chills. Nevertheless, I awoke this morning feeling good about Day 1 and did some meditation, focusing on what my ideal body would look like.

Speaking of which, my goal is to lose 17 lbs, as I am considering joining the military. Today (Tuesday) is my non-lift day, so I am going to do some NEPA and work on my soft tissue (foam roller).

Feel free to poke in and introduce yourself. Hopefully I can get some photos up soon–don’t have a camera and am sort of technologically challenged.
Good luck to all who are trying to accomplish their goals!

I mentioned that I was wondering if I should lower my work weight on the lifts (intermediate level). Here is what I did yesterday:
Front Squat: 135
Lat Pull down: level 8 (not sure what each plate weighs–any ideas?)
Dumbbell Bench Press: 45 lbs (each hand)

The weight did not feel extremely heavy, but I feel as though my tempo was not where it should have been. How can I tell??

Hi Mica,

Welcome to the challenge! I am on day 9 and things are going well.

I, too, do not have any support outside this community, and I have to say that it really has helped me, just to check in to see how everyone else is doing and to document; I need to document to keep myself accountable.

I am not the one to answer questions on lifting and weights, for I am definitely a beginner.

Best of luck,

Donna

Started the diet on Monday as well and the first day was rough but feeling good now. You are a stud on the weights though!

As the questions for tempo what do you mean? From what I have read, most of Chad’s workouts aren’t so much tempo but more focused on rest times, technique and amount of reps. You are a strong woman!

You go girl, get it done!!

[quote]D0NNA wrote:
Hi Mica,

Welcome to the challenge! I am on day 9 and things are going well.

I, too, do not have any support outside this community, and I have to say that it really has helped me, just to check in to see how everyone else is doing and to document; I need to document to keep myself accountable.

I am not the one to answer questions on lifting and weights, for I am definitely a beginner.

Best of luck,

Donna[/quote]

Thanks so much Donna for checking in! I’m not sure how to navigate the site entirely–at least when it comes to forums. Do you have a link to your blog? I’d love to check in our your progress. Again, thanks for the words of encouragement!

[quote]lift4health wrote:
Started the diet on Monday as well and the first day was rough but feeling good now. You are a stud on the weights though!

As the questions for tempo what do you mean? From what I have read, most of Chad’s workouts aren’t so much tempo but more focused on rest times, technique and amount of reps. You are a strong woman!

You go girl, get it done!![/quote]

Thanks for checking in. I feel alot better knowing that I’m not the only one who struggled on the first day. My hunger pains are out of control; but I remember someone saying that after this diet, you actually know what REAL hunger feels like–I already know what they meant by that!!

By ‘tempo’ I meant how fast I am pushing and pulling the weight. I did a good job of keeping to the rest time and my technique is good–just wasn’t sure if during the actual lifting if I was supposed to be pushing/pulling the weight as fast as possible…

Thanks for the well wishes! Day 2 almost over!!

Hi there…I just started today (I have a blog as well Xray Chick and her V-Diet) and I’m having a hard time with the shakes already. YIKES I hope my day two is also better.

Sounds like you had a great workout…Keep it up. I wish you only the best!
Jamie

Good luck, the shakes can be a little too sweet for the long haul, especially if you have all chocolate.

It is a mental thing, you have to think of them as fuel for your weight loss and not food.

[quote]gibs wrote:
Hi there…I just started today (I have a blog as well Xray Chick and her V-Diet) and I’m having a hard time with the shakes already. YIKES I hope my day two is also better.

Sounds like you had a great workout…Keep it up. I wish you only the best!
Jamie[/quote]

Thanks Jamie!

The end of my Day 2 was much better than the end of my Day 1. The PB definitely helped me out today. I will make sure to visit your forum. Keep it up!

[quote]Fargo wrote:
Good luck, the shakes can be a little too sweet for the long haul, especially if you have all chocolate.

It is a mental thing, you have to think of them as fuel for your weight loss and not food.[/quote]

Fargo,

I like the way you put that–that is, the shakes being fuel for my weight loss as opposed to being ‘food’. That made me feel alot better. Day 2 is ending and I’m feeling good about my progress so far. Thanks!!

here are my before measurements (in inches):
neck 13.5
chest-upper 36
chest-lower 30.75
waist at navel 33
waist at largest 34
hips at largest 44
upper arm L 14
upper arm R 14
upper leg L 27
upper leg R 27
lower leg L 14.5
lower leg R 14.75
ankle L 9
ankle R 9

still workin on the photos. anyone know how to get photos off your phone without having a cord to hook up to the computer??

Just finished my morning NEPA. Going to hit the weights in a little bit.

My morning supps are really doing a number on my stomach. Does anyone else have issues with the pill part of the diet?

Other than that, I’m feeling good.

[quote]mica007 wrote:

My morning supps are really doing a number on my stomach. Does anyone else have issues with the pill part of the diet?

Other than that, I’m feeling good.[/quote]

Having the shake first, helps me out a lot and I do not do the superfood and leucine at first shake, usually the second.

Also, when my stomach is upset I nibble on the Fiber tablets, they seem to act like a tums.

Hang in there, and way to go on the heavy lifts - you rock.

Donna

Having the shake first, helps me out a lot and I do not do the superfood and leucine at first shake, usually the second.

Also, when my stomach is upset I nibble on the Fiber tablets, they seem to act like a tums.

Hang in there, and way to go on the heavy lifts - you rock.

Donna[/quote]

Thanks Donna!

I will definitely test that out… Heading to the gym now for workout #2 of the week (will post lifts later today). It amazes me how a few words of encouragement can go a really long way!!

thanks for stopping in mica. good luck with the diet. it’s really all about pushing yourself as hard as you can in the gym and being mentally tough enough to stick to JUST what’s on the diet. Take it day by day is my advice. Just ask for the strength to get through ONE day. Then repeat that 28 times.

Stay strong.

hang in there! the shakes were hard for me towards the end of the first week but i’m in week 3 now with no problems. making them very thin helps me. i had to ban the chocolate. i see that you have ALL chocolate. you may want to try mixing it with some things. spices, extracts, instant coffee, etc. you’re coming up on the hardest days. make it through week 1 one day at a time and it’ll get much better.

[quote]mica007 wrote:

Other than that, I’m feeling good.[/quote]

I do have issues with the HOT-ROX and the fishoil. I burp that fishoil all day and the HOT-ROX I have to take with the shake, otherwise I get all shaky and a really bad headache. I only take one a day otherwise I feel like I’m going to come out of my skin.

Good luck…oh and instant coffee with the chocolate is what I have in the AM…very yummy!

[quote]

still workin on the photos. anyone know how to get photos off your phone without having a cord to hook up to the computer??[/quote]

try sending it as a txt, but instead of a phone number, just manually type in an email address in the “To” field. Should work :oP

[quote]jstirto wrote:
thanks for stopping in mica. good luck with the diet. it’s really all about pushing yourself as hard as you can in the gym and being mentally tough enough to stick to JUST what’s on the diet. Take it day by day is my advice. Just ask for the strength to get through ONE day. Then repeat that 28 times.

Stay strong.[/quote]

Sounds awesome J,

After reading your V-Diet blog, I felt so inspired to go after it in my lift today! Thanks and you’re almost done–keep it up!!!

[quote]ShortSquat wrote:
hang in there! the shakes were hard for me towards the end of the first week but i’m in week 3 now with no problems. making them very thin helps me. i had to ban the chocolate. i see that you have ALL chocolate. you may want to try mixing it with some things. spices, extracts, instant coffee, etc. you’re coming up on the hardest days. make it through week 1 one day at a time and it’ll get much better. [/quote]

Hey Short,

Thanks for the words! I think I’m going to have to thin out my shakes as well–seems to be a common thing to do the more I read…thanks for stopping by!