Biotest

Spreadsheet to Help with Calculations

For anyone getting ready to start the Velocity diet or just wanting to check their calculations I made up a quick Excel spreadsheet to help. Basically all you have to do is fill in the yellow shaded areas and let Excel do the rest. For the calories needed just put your bodyweight into the column that describes you best (i.e. how much you need to lose and if you are male/female) and use the column only. Should be pretty self-explanatory once you see the sheet.

Then you can change the values in the “# of servings” column to help you arrive at the numbers you need to match the calories. If you are using a different flavor of Metabolic Drive or Surge or maybe different brand of peanut butter just adjust the numbers on the “Macros” sheet and it will automatically populate the rest after you input servings.

Sorry if this sounds complicated but it’s really not. It was something I made up to help keep me on track and to make it easier to figure out what I needed to do and just thought I’d share it with the group.

Download it here: http://www.mediafire.com/?mylwk1b5t3x

Hope it’s helpful :slight_smile:

I did much the same. I use spreadsheets for everything.

Did you allow for mixtures of Metabolic Drive? :slight_smile:

Nah, I just did it all using the Vanilla Metabolic Drive macros. I think the chocolate is 10 calories less per scoop but I didn’t worry about. Would be a pretty easy fix if anyone was really interested in it I guess.

I don’t think the 10 calories will make too big of a difference.

Excellent idea, hopefully this will help a few people out!

This one I got off pf and is slightly adapted.

http://www.mediafire.com/?hsgmmyivcia

PS Don’t worry the Wheatbran is going, also HOT-ROX is highlighted in green just to remind myself I have already purchased some.

[quote]echelon101 wrote:

PS Don’t worry the Wheatbran is going, also HOT-ROX is highlighted in green just to remind myself I have already purchased some.[/quote]

Well I guess mine is set up more to follow the V-Diet exactly as Shugart has set it up (using only Metabolic Drive and the other supplements he recommends). Also, I suppose I’m probably biased but I think mine is a little easier to use in setting up the diet because it uses cell references which allow you to change one or two values (such as serving sizes or even body weight) and it will automatically adjust everything else.

[quote]allenkt wrote:
echelon101 wrote:

PS Don’t worry the Wheatbran is going, also HOT-ROX is highlighted in green just to remind myself I have already purchased some.

Well I guess mine is set up more to follow the V-Diet exactly as Shugart has set it up (using only Metabolic Drive and the other supplements he recommends).

Also, I suppose I’m probably biased but I think mine is a little easier to use in setting up the diet because it uses cell references which allow you to change one or two values (such as serving sizes or even body weight) and it will automatically adjust everything else.
[/quote]

Any reason for the peanut butter? I did not see that as part of Shugarts list, although I haven’t read all of Gus’s log just yet which I will

[quote]ComixGuy wrote:
Any reason for the peanut butter? I did not see that as part of Shugarts list, although I haven’t read all of Gus’s log just yet which I will
[/quote]

It actually started with Coach Dan John I think, something he added to his plan. I used it last time and I’m telling you, it’s a life saver. But it is on the recommended plan, listed on page 2 of Gus’s log.

I personally just eat it straight off the spoon (after measuring the right amount) instead of mixing it in the shakes.

“We add in the natural PB because it balances out the types of healthful fats on this plan. (Other nut butters are fine too if there are allergy issues.) It also makes your nighttime shake more satisfying. Tastes like a peanut butter cup when added to chocolate!”

[quote]allenkt wrote:
ComixGuy wrote:

It actually started with Coach Dan John I think, something he added to his plan. I used it last time and I’m telling you, it’s a life saver. But it is on the recommended plan, listed on page 2 of Gus’s log.

I personally just eat it straight off the spoon (after measuring the right amount) instead of mixing it in the shakes.

“We add in the natural PB because it balances out the types of healthful fats on this plan. (Other nut butters are fine too if there are allergy issues.) It also makes your nighttime shake more satisfying. Tastes like a peanut butter cup when added to chocolate!”

[/quote]

Cool. Thanks.

[quote]allenkt wrote:

Well I guess mine is set up more to follow the V-Diet exactly as Shugart has set it up (using only Metabolic Drive and the other supplements he recommends).
[/quote]

Yeah, unfortunately in the UK about 1kg of Metabolic drives costs about £25-30/$50-60 considering people generally need about 6-9kg. That sort of money is quite prohibitive.

The general consensus, in the uk, is a mix of whey/casein (I think mine is 1:2 or 3:5 depending on which magnitude I go on).

1 tub of M-Drive here costs $95. I wish people wouldn’t whinge about the price, I did it as an almost bankrupt student, I’m sure you can manage.

Fair enough but spending £245 on just Metabolic Drive is too rich for my blood.

[quote]allenkt wrote:
For anyone getting ready to start the Velocity diet or just wanting to check their calculations I made up a quick Excel spreadsheet to help. Basically all you have to do is fill in the yellow shaded areas and let Excel do the rest. For the calories needed just put your bodyweight into the column that describes you best (i.e. how much you need to lose and if you are male/female) and use the column only. Should be pretty self-explanatory once you see the sheet.

Then you can change the values in the “# of servings” column to help you arrive at the numbers you need to match the calories. If you are using a different flavor of Metabolic Drive or Surge or maybe different brand of peanut butter just adjust the numbers on the “Macros” sheet and it will automatically populate the rest after you input servings.

Sorry if this sounds complicated but it’s really not. It was something I made up to help keep me on track and to make it easier to figure out what I needed to do and just thought I’d share it with the group.

Download it here: http://www.mediafire.com/?mylwk1b5t3x

Hope it’s helpful :)[/quote]

allen - thanks for this. i love stuff like this but am excel deficient.
i came across a glitch (i think)
i am using the losing more than 30-35LB thing.
my off days @ 210 LBS come to 1200 and my lift days come to 1450.
however, in your sheet my lift days come to 1608. i know it is “only” 150 cals, but i can’t figure out where the extras are comeing from…can you take a look at it using 210 LBS and see what you get?
thanks

When I put 210 lbs into the yellow box under “>35 lbs” I get 1208 and 1450 for calories needed. You are getting something different? If you want you can send me a PM and I’ll give you my email address so you can email it to me if you want me to take a look at it.

Karl

[quote]echelon101 wrote:
Fair enough but spending £245 on just Metabolic Drive is too rich for my blood.[/quote]

Then the diet isn’t for you.

Er what?

There is a difference between the dedication to spend £245 on Metabolic Drive and the willingness to consider alternatives that are similar, namely a mix of whey/casein.

As pf has demonstrated it is possible to lose a good amount of weight using a mix instead of Metabolic Drive. True enough the Velocity Diet verbatum is based on using the Metabolic Drive/Surge combination but look at the Metabolic Drive ingredient list

“Metabolic Drive® ADVANCED�?� PROTEIN, LOW-CARB MRP �?? CHOCOLATE: protein blend (whey-protein isolate (milk), micellar casein (milk), milk-protein concentrate), cocoa powder, natural and artificial flavours, sunflower oil, polydextrose, glucono-delta-lactone, cellulose gum, potassium chloride, lecithin, mono and diglycerides, sucralose, silica.”

Out of the whole list it’s just the “protein blend” that is doing work. Sure the bulk whey that I am using is slightly less concentrated but a technical mix of 15g whey + 25g casein gives me 150kcals/32g pro/2g fat/2.3g carb. That combination suites my needs. The required amount of protein supplements will cost me £60 including flavourings (although only £45 as I own 3kg of whey), a bit less than £245.

Moving to Surge, its macros read:
( http://www.T-Nation.com/productInfo.do?id=459244 )
Per 93g
340kcals/2.5g fat/46g carb/25g pro

Compared to the formula I will using (Recovery XS, myprotein.co.uk)
Per 90g
278kcals/0.3g fat/50g carb/24.3 pro

Granted the Surge supplement has electrolyte replenishment but then again I am sitting on 4.5 boxes of lucozade hypotonic solution which is 10kcals a sachet so I am covered in that respect.

An analogy, if I have understood you mental attitude, is that because I can’t afford to spend £245 on a pre-mixed supplement that I can’t do the diet full stop. That’s like saying if I can’t afford a Ferrari then I am not allowed to drive to the shops.

“That’s like saying if I can’t afford a Ferrari then I am not allowed to drive to the shops”

Horseshit.

Save up and buy the supps, or do you equivalent without calling it the Velocity Diet.

If I can do it on the verge of bankruptcy, then you can manage. I spent at least $1500 to do the diet, and it pisses me off when people start whining about the cost.

For those who don’t know me, I’m not a very nice person.

Fine I shall called the UKVel Diet which is a diet based on the macronutrients of the Velocity diet but uses bulk supplements bought from MyProtein.

Spending $1500/$1400 USD/£720 on the verge of bankruptcy is a bit iffy.

I don’t think I am whining. My interpretation of whining is the complaining of an concept/thing without a rational reason then giving up the concept/thing completely without finding a reasonable alternative.

[quote]Makavali wrote:
“That’s like saying if I can’t afford a Ferrari then I am not allowed to drive to the shops”

Horseshit.

Save up and buy the supps, or do you equivalent without calling it the Velocity Diet.

If I can do it on the verge of bankruptcy, then you can manage. I spent at least $1500 to do the diet, and it pisses me off when people start whining about the cost.

For those who don’t know me, I’m not a very nice person.[/quote]

Also, correct me if I’m wrong, Shug requested in his article for those NOT using M-Drive to NOT call it the V-Diet

[quote]mudpro69 wrote:
Also, correct me if I’m wrong, Shug requested in his article for those NOT using M-Drive to NOT call it the V-Diet[/quote]

That’s right. If anyone decides to change it, have the courtesy to move your thread to the Supplements and Nutrition section.