Biotest

Spaghetti & Meatballs


#1

[center]No-Deprivation Spaghetti & Meatballs [/center]
Dear Rest-of-People-on-Planet,

I appreciate your concern, but I’m fine. Really, I’m not suffering at all.

Turning down your kindly offered free donut, not ordering dessert at the restaurant, subbing out the fries for broccoli, bringing my own snacks to the party, politely telling grandma I won’t be having any apple pie… it’s okay. I’m okay.

See, even though I’ve chosen to stay lean and eat healthfully, that doesn’t mean I’m hurting or feeling deprived. I feel great actually. And the food I make taste really, really good, even better than most of the fattening stuff. It’s true. I post a new recipe every week here or in my <a href="http://velocity.T-Nation.com/strength-training-blog/chris-Shugart"target=“new”>LiveSpill, then I move it over to the new HSM & Recipes section of our forums. Go check it out.

Still don’t believe me? Okay, fine. Last night I had spaghetti and meatballs. It tasted amazing and I ate all I wanted. Thing is, the calories were lower and the carbs were virtually nonexistent. It was even packed with vegetables, which made me very full and satisfied.

Still don’t believe me, huh? Okay, here’s the recipe. Try it and tell me if you’ll ever go to The Olive Garden again for a plate of their taste-bud shrinking, waist-expanding spaghetti.

[center]V-Life Spaghetti & Meatballs[/center]
[center] [/center]
Ingredients

2 pounds of extra-lean ground beef
1/4 cup of finely chopped Canadian bacon or ham
1 tablespoon pink sea salt
1 teaspoon red pepper flakes
Hefty sprinkles of dried oregano and parsley
1 zucchini, grated
1/4 cup almond flour, blanched
1/2 cup skim ricotta cheese
2 omega-3 whole eggs or 4 egg whites (your choice)
Olive oil
1 large spaghetti squash

Instructions

For the “spaghetti,” follow this <a href="http://velocity.T-Nation.com/free_online_forum/diet_performance_nutrition_bodybuilding_velocity_recipe/natures_spaghetti_"target=“new”>recipe. Now let’s make the meatballs.

  1. Preheat your oven to a whopping 450 degrees.

  2. Mix all the ingredients into a big bowl. Combine with your hands.

[center] [/center]
3. Form into golf ball-sized meatballs. You’ll get around 30 of them.

  1. Roast without turning for 15 to 20 minutes. Cut one in half to check for doneness.

  2. Serve over spaghetti squash.

  3. Eat. Feel full. Feel healthy. Feel absolutely zero deprivation.

Sincerely,

Chris


#2

Shot of spaghetti squash… truly one of the miracles of nature.


#3

Before pic.


#4

And after.

Feel free to sub in ground turkey if you want, but extra lean ground beef is almost as low in calories as turkey.

Same goes with egg whites vs. whole eggs. Nothing at all unhealthy or inherently fattening about whole eggs, but you can use whites or Egg Beaters to volumize and drop the calories a bit.


#5

Just picked up the ingredients and will try it tonight!


#6

Should try with kangaroo…


#7

Oh, you slice your squash crosswise? I guess i’ve been doing it the hard way: lengthwise with a thin-blade cleaver and a hammer!


#8

I slice my lengthwise ViziVix, I have a nice big sharp knife and muscle it :slight_smile: But I am going to have to try the cross cut this weekend ( picked up some squashes and parsnips last night )


#9

I’ve never really cared for pasta, but this looks pretty awesome. Is there a particular marinara sauce you’d recommend?


#10

[quote]ViziVix wrote:
Oh, you slice your squash crosswise? I guess i’ve been doing it the hard way: lengthwise with a thin-blade cleaver and a hammer![/quote]

Usually lengthwise.

It’s like a bonus workout.


#11

[quote]u r bunk wrote:
I’ve never really cared for pasta, but this looks pretty awesome. Is there a particular marinara sauce you’d recommend?[/quote]

If buying jarred, just look for the one with the lowest sugar, or at least no added sugar. Ragu makes a “light” version but some are even lighter in sugar and overall cals, but they don’t make any label claims about it.

Currently using Organics Roasted Garlic, 3g sugar per serving.


#12

One more pic.


#13

[quote]Chris Shugart wrote:

[quote]u r bunk wrote:
I’ve never really cared for pasta, but this looks pretty awesome. Is there a particular marinara sauce you’d recommend?[/quote]

If buying jarred, just look for the one with the lowest sugar, or at least no added sugar. Ragu makes a “light” version but some are even lighter in sugar and overall cals, but they don’t make any label claims about it.

Currently using Organics Roasted Garlic, 3g sugar per serving. [/quote]

Great, thanks!


#14

Awesome article Chris. I’ve been doing spaghetti squash and meat sauce for a while, but the meatballs will be a cool variation. I’m pretty sure I don’t have a grater, so I’ll just cut up the zucchini and throw it in my Slap Chop until it gets very fine. That should work, right?


#15

[quote]jtrinsey wrote:
Awesome article Chris. I’ve been doing spaghetti squash and meat sauce for a while, but the meatballs will be a cool variation. I’m pretty sure I don’t have a grater, so I’ll just cut up the zucchini and throw it in my Slap Chop until it gets very fine. That should work, right?[/quote]

That should do it. You just want the pieces small since the meatballs will be only about golfball sized. Though I suppose they could be made huge; just allow for more cooking time.


#16

Leftovers warm up great, BTW.

I just paired mine with wine-roasted 'shrooms the next day.


#17

[quote]Chris Shugart wrote:
I appreciate your concern, but I’m fine. Really, I’m not suffering at all.
[/quote]

I have the same issue. Some of my friends simply cannot understand that I actually feel GOOD eating as the V-Diet taught me. After a meal I feel energized and ready to do something, anything. Meanwhile, after their carb-overload, they want to sleep and feel bloated.

Fortunately for me, I also have friends that are into “that fitness thing.” We swap recipes and go for random sprint races while the meat’s grilling. We look like a lite beer commercial, minus the body-wrecking liquid bread.


#18

This combination of recipes is currently making me wish I had two ovens lol. Squash baking, bowl of meat in the fridge waiting to become delicious meatballs. Pretty freakin’ excited, looks great Chris!


#19

Made this tonight, soooooooo good! Very easy and the recipe yields A LOT and tons of tasty leftovers = BONUS!!! This one is a new favorite for sure, thanks Chris!


#20

[quote]mattrush13 wrote:
This combination of recipes is currently making me wish I had two ovens lol. Squash baking, bowl of meat in the fridge waiting to become delicious meatballs. Pretty freakin’ excited, looks great Chris![/quote]

Here’s what works for me, also double-ovenless:

Cook the squash first, but don’t gut it after cooking. Set aside. Cook meatballs, then shred squash. The squash will retain heat for a long time unshredded.

Sounds like you’ve figured that out too.