Biotest

Spaghetti and Meatballs Redux

I am of Italian-American descent and every Sunday growing up we would go to Grandma’s for Sunday dinner. Invaribly, it would be pasta with chicken or meatballs or sausage or someother delicacy. Trying to stay lean has been a chore as I have gotten pretty carb intolerant in my late 40s. Thank God for Spaghetti Squash.

I have taken Chris’ Spaghetti and meatballs recipe and modified it with a healthier version of Grandma’s sauce. Takes very little time and effort to make a delicious, traditional sauce.

Start with a 28 oz. can of seeded tomatoes(Marzano if you can find them). Mince 2 thumb size (or slightly smaller, if you prefer) cloves of garlic and lightly sauté in 1 1/2 tablespoons of Extra Virgin Olive Oil, in a frying pan. A 10-inch diameter pan is a good size for this. The garlic should, at most, just start to turn a light golden - no more. Add tomatoes and cook covered for 5 minutes under medium heat.

Mash down with fork or masher - not too much mashing. Add 5 or 6 twists of pepper mill w/ black pepper, 2 med. size leaves of Basil and a sprig of parsley. Cook semi-covered for another 10 to 12 minutes at most. Remove from heat and remove basil and parsley sprig. Salt to taste.

I do this while the squash is in the oven. If i have any left over the next time I make this dish I add a tablespoon to the meat balls before cooking. Improves them too.

Good stuff. Thanks!