Biotest

So It Begins

I’m coming off about a year and a half of rugby and I’m looking to cut some fat before I begin a mass building phase. I’d like to drop about 20# before I start adding size. So…

Today was the beginning of my Velocity Diet experience and I’m surprised at how it went. My day started with about 20min of NEPA.

Unfortunately, I couldn’t get the full 30-60min in because I woke up late but I did hit the gym at lunch. Around 4:00pm was the the worst part of the day. I started getting really hungry and it was compounded by being stuck in traffic outside a BBQ restaurant. All in all it was a great start to the program.

Measurements 8/8/10:
Height: 5’10"
Weight: 220.4
Neck: 17"
Shoulders: 52.5"
Chest - Upper: 45.5"
Chest - Lower: 43
Waist - Navel: 40.5"
Waist - Largest: 41"
Hips: 41.5"
Upper Arm - L: 15"
Upper Arm - R: 15"
Upper Leg - L: 25"
Upper Leg - R: 24.5"
Lower Leg - L: 16.25"
Lower Leg - R: 16"
Ankle L: 9.75"
Ankle R: 9.5"

First Workout 8/9/10:
Warm Up
3 Rounds Power Complex @ 95#
3x Hanging Clean
3x Front Squat
2x Push Press

Training

1. 3x2 Deadlift (85%) @ 340#

2. 3 Rounds
    3x Push Press @ 155#
    6x Jump Squat @ 2x35#

3. 2x3 Power Clean @ 155#

4. 5x5 Turkish Get Ups (ea side) @ 25#

5. 25x Chins

Awesome, we look forward to following your progress!

And one thing to start thinking about: hunger (empty stomach, lack of nutrients) vs. craving, habit eating, etc.

There’s a big difference. And with 5 shakes a day, you’re never truly hungry, at least not much. But you may find yourself, at first at least, THINKING you are because you smell a food (BBQ in your case), feel stressed, eat out of habit or whatever.

Become cognizant of this and by week three you’ll start to shift and lose the “fake” hunger.

Keep us posted!

Now that I think about it, yesterday around 4:00 I started to get stressed at work and I’m sure the ride home just added to the stress. Also, after I got home, changed and relaxed for awhile, the “hunger” went away. One tip I remembered from Dan John’s account was a fiber tablet, a Flameout and a glass of water.

Day 2 (morning):
Started the day with 30mins of NEPA. It was on the treadmill so speed/incline was 4/2. I ended up going over a little to get 2 miles in. Then did some static stretching. For the shake this morning I made 12oz of iced coffee (black) and mixed the chocolate protein. It ends up tasting like a iced mocha.

Day 3:

The day is coming to a close and I’m feeling pretty good. Between 5 & 6 today was rough because the smell of food was covering the house. My wife made roasted chicken with carrots and potatoes. After eating nothing but shakes for three days, the aroma was intoxicating. I’m not sure if the fact today was a workout day had anything to do with it but I had the same thing happen on Monday. I’m sure the further I venture the more I’ll understand my physiological habits.

Once again I got 30min of NEPA to start the day but I increased the incline to 4. I was trying to maintain a heart rate around 120.

Workout
Warm Up:
3x Barbell Complex 45#, 65#, 85#
6x ea Close Grip Snatch/OHS/PP/FS/Row/Deadlift

Training:
2x5 Deadlift @ 295#
2x5 Push Press @ 155#
2x5 Power Clean @ 135#
1x20 DB Swing @ 50#
5x Plank Complex

The plank complex I picked up and it’s a little brutal. http://www.mtnathlete.com/subpage_details.php?subpage_ID=672&page_ID=14

Day 4 (morning):

It’s almost time for my second shake of the day. Sleeping at night has become an issue. It’s taking forever to fall asleep and then I wake up periodically. This is starting to interfere with my NEPA. I like to get at least the 30min in before the day gets going but today I overslept. I’m going to attempt to get it in tonight.

I see a lot of posts about the ZMA supplement for sleep so I might give it a try. If anyone else has any suggestions please let me know.

[quote]nurugger07 wrote:

I see a lot of posts about the ZMA supplement for sleep so I might give it a try. If anyone else has any suggestions please let me know. [/quote]

Sleep interruption is pretty common with any major change in diet, and you’ll adapt soon enough. But yes, ZMA is great for this (it’s actually a nice, mild side effect and not its main purpose) and Z-12 is made just for this. I swear by Z-12. Info:

http://www.t-nation.com/portal_includes/articles/products/blue/z12.jsp

[quote]nurugger07 wrote:
Sleeping at night has become an issue. It’s taking forever to fall asleep and then I wake up periodically.

I see a lot of posts about the ZMA supplement for sleep so I might give it a try. If anyone else has any suggestions please let me know. [/quote]

Give Z-12 or the ElitePro Mineral supp a try. Z-12 stopped working for me but the ElitePro does a great job of relaxing.

Might also want to try other options, like a sleep hypnosis CD.

The ElitePro works wonders- been sleeping really deeply since taking them. All the best!

Thanks for the tips, I’m going to order one this weekend.

Day 5:
Iâ??m decompressing from the week with a little quiet time and reflecting on both the good and bad. I seem to experience the most sensations of hunger between 4 and 6. Itâ??s especially hard on workout days because that time starts about an hour and a half after my gym sessions. Overall though Iâ??m seeing results and thatâ??s enough to keep me going. I am a little apprehensive about the weekend because historically, thatâ??s when I do most of my garbage eating. Iâ??ll keep you posted and hope that will help keep me straight.
Iâ??ve started looking forward to my HSM. Iâ??m thinking about heading up to the fish market and seeing whatâ??s fresh. Then doing some sort of spice rub and oven-roasting it. Plus, Iâ??m really looking forward to some vegetables, namely broccoli. I canâ??t decide on the starch but most likely it will be sweet potato.

Workouts: I want to work on my squat technique so I started with a squat warm up. I want to transition into an Olympic squat style so working it into warm ups with lower weights seemed like a good start.

Warm Up:
Squats 5-5-3-3-2-2-1 @ 95#, 115#, 135#, 155#, 175#, 185#, 205#, 225#

Training:
3 Rounds (3-4 min Rest between sets)
2x Deadlift @ 340#

2 Rounds
3x Clean & Press @ 175#

2x15 Wide-Grip Pull Ups
2x15 Chins
3x10 Standing Russian Twists

*These statements have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration. This product is not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.

Disclaimer: Individual results may vary.