Biotest

Sleep Aid

What do you recommend for a sleep aid. I train hard and work hard, but, no matter how tired I am, I always wake up about every 2 hours and never sleep over 6 hours. Need some advise. Thanks

We have a few ideas for you. First of course, make sure you’re cutting off stimulants like caffeine early in the day, say none after 2 PM or around early afternoon. Many pre-workout products made by other companies also keep people awake as they contain large amounts of caffeine (not always made clear on the label.) Not good for the after-work or after-school lifter.

Second, our best sleep product is <a href="http://www.t-nation.com/store/products/z-12"target=“new”>Z-12. It helps you get to sleep, and it also helps make your sleep more recuperative and replenishing… deeper and restorative. That would be our number one recommendation. You can take 1 to 3 capsules, but most people find 2 to be perfect.

<a href="http://www.t-nation.com/store/products/elitepro-minerals"target=“new”>Elitepro Minerals and <a href="http://www.t-nation.com/store/products/zma"target=“new”>ZMA help with sleep too, mainly because the magnesium component helps you relax, and people who train hard are often unknowingly deficient in magnesium.

You can use Z-12 and ZMA or Elitepro Minerals together if you’d like with no problems, but Z-12 will probably be all you need.

I just want to say what a saving grace Z-12 has been, especially in regard to recuperative sleep.

I work late into the night, and when my wife works daylight (she’s a nurse), she gets up at 4:30 AM to get a workout in. I give her a ride to work, which means I’m up shortly before 6 AM.

Obviously, the above routine it not friendly to a good night’s sleep. However, once I started taking Z-12 (3 capsules), things have been much easier. Heck, I used to give in to a nap when I would return, but now most days, I’m up and productive.

And the best part is, I actually feel good. Waking up on days when I do get 8 hours of sleep is just that much better.

Thank you for the replies. I am taking ZMA now, along with my regular doses of vitamins and Alpha Male. I will order some Z-12 and give it a go. Thanks , again.

[quote]SBT wrote:
I just want to say what a saving grace Z-12 has been, especially in regard to recuperative sleep.

I work late into the night, and when my wife works daylight (she’s a nurse), she gets up at 4:30 AM to get a workout in. I give her a ride to work, which means I’m up shortly before 6 AM.

Obviously, the above routine it not friendly to a good night’s sleep. However, once I started taking Z-12 (3 capsules), things have been much easier. Heck, I used to give in to a nap when I would return, but now most days, I’m up and productive.

And the best part is, I actually feel good. Waking up on days when I do get 8 hours of sleep is just that much better.[/quote]

Damn, to wake up feeling good would be a strange thing… Thanks, will give Z-12 a try.

Z-12 is fantastic…but I have a question: if I take 200 mg of L-theanine in the morning with my nootropic stack, does anyone think I’m taking too much if I also take 2 caps of Z-12 before bed?

For Z-12, I cycle it by taking it only 5 days a week then take a full couple nights off. Sometimes I substitute Z-12 with Bacopa + PS before bed. Z-12 is better, but the alternate Bacopa + PS is almost just as good for me. YMMV of course as everyone’s chemistry is different.

I have experienced success using the Elitepro, and the ZMA, i have never tried Z-12 but do not doubt it works.

melatonin also works good for me, and its cheap.

[quote]idaho wrote:
Thank you for the replies. I am taking ZMA now, along with my regular doses of vitamins and Alpha Male. I will order some Z-12 and give it a go. Thanks , again.[/quote]

I have trouble sleeping when taking ZMA. I tried it for a few months and never had a good nights sleep. Id fall asleep right away, but would wake up a few hours later and toss and turn the rest of the night. I now use Elitepro and sleep much better. It must be the B vitamins in ZMA.

I tried Z-12, but was taking it with ZMA so it didn’t work very well. I will try it again at some point while not taking ZMA to give it a fair shot.

I also started adding in melatonin which helps, too.

Whats the difference between Z-12 and a typical sleep aid that makes Z-12 non addictive, yet more powerful/effective than ZMA?

[quote]dsmith1231 wrote:
Whats the difference between Z-12 and a typical sleep aid that makes Z-12 non addictive, yet more powerful/effective than ZMA?[/quote]

ZMA relaxes you due solely to the magnesium content. The good sleep most people experience is just a nice side effect.

Z-12 is a blend of PhGABA, 5-HTP, and L-Theanine – in the right combination. It’s a dedicated sleep supplement made for that purpose.

PhGABA

The main workhorse is PhGABA. The compound is a derivative of the inhibitory neurotransmitter GABA. When we’re stressed, our brains experience an uninterrupted flow of stimulatory neurotransmitters and this causes restlessness, irritability, and insomnia.

GABA, and compounds related to it like the PhGABA, inhibit the flow of these stimulatory neurotransmitters, thereby allowing the brain and body to relax. PhGABA not only acts like GABA, but it also causes the release of GABA for a one-two sleep-inducing punch.

There have been a ton of studies on PhGABA and many of them have compared the compound to Valium, which has pronounced anxiolytic (anxiety-reducing) properties, and the nootropic compound piracetam, which has weaker anxiolytic properties.

In parts of Europe, the compound is used to treat post-traumatic stress disorder and insomnia.

Furthermore, double-blind studies found the compound to increase intellectual function, improve physical strength, and reduce fatigue in neurotic patients.While it’s not commonly known as a performance-enhancing supplement, PhGABA has been shown to improve work capacity in humans, along with increasing the performance of animals on swim tests.

PhGABA is an amazingly safe compound. Unlike many compounds, it seems to have no known negative side effects. In fact, it’s even been found to have cardioprotective properties. The plasma half-life of a 250-mg dose of PhGABA is 5.3 hours, and most of the compound is excreted unchanged.

5-HTP

5-HTP (5-hydroxytryptophan) is a naturally occurring amino acid that’s a precursor to the neurotransmitter serotonin (5-hydroxytryptamine), which is implicated in sleep and general feelings of well-being. When blood levels of 5-HTP are high, it causes the brain’s serotonin producing neurons to increase production.

Furthermore, we believe that 5-HTP, in addition to being serotonergic, actually “resets” (normalizes) the hypothalamic-pituitary-adrenal (HPA) axis. In addition to helping the body adapt better to stress, this resetting effect also helps PhGABA and L-theanine to keep on working without allowing the user to develop tolerance.

L-Theanine

L-Theanine is an amino acid found in green tea. Due to it promoting brain alpha-wave function, L-theanine facilitates a calm, relaxed-mental state. Animal studies suggest it increases brain serotonin and GABA levels, along with perhaps being both a neuroprotective agent and a cognitive enhancing agent.

More info here: http://www.t-nation.com/store/products/z-12

Love Z-12. Great sleep aid.

I just wanted to add that both my wife and I love z-12. I introduced my wife to z-12 about a year ago and she believes she gets the best sleep with 2 pills of z-12. She sleeps unintrupted longer then she would without as she says. Basically getting her into a deeper sleep, is what we believe. We both use it as whenever we think we need it. We always have a bottle handy, but on average, I would say we take it about once a week.

I am a 17 year old powerlifter/football player and I have a extremely hard time getting to sleep at night. I have tried melatonin and zzquil and nothing works. I even took 2 benadryls before bed each night for about a month and it did nothing. Would you recommend z-12 for someone like me? I have no problem staying asleep it’s actually falling asleep.

[quote]searcystrength79 wrote:
I am a 17 year old powerlifter/football player and I have a extremely hard time getting to sleep at night. I have tried melatonin and zzquil and nothing works. I even took 2 benadryls before bed each night for about a month and it did nothing. Would you recommend z-12 for someone like me? I have no problem staying asleep it’s actually falling asleep. [/quote]

Z-12 is not recommended for those under the age of 18.

We do advise that you avoid taking over the counter or prescription medications that have the side effect of drowsiness. That can be very unsafe, and with most medications the sleep quality isn’t good even if it puts you to sleep. You want restorative sleep, not drugged sleep.

Have your parents look into <a href="http://www.t-nation.com/store/products/z-12"target=“new”>Z-12, but we can’t recommend you take it until you turn 18.

I’ve also found a shot of Alpha-GPC can be very effective for sleep.

Crowbar

Z 12 is fantastic. More effective than any OTC sleep aids out there by far, without the side effects. Effective at both helping me fall asleep, and feeling great in the morning.