Biotest

Shugart's No-Belly Sorbet

Last summer. Sunday. 4PM. 102 Degrees.

I’m maximizing recovery, absorbing natural Vitamin D, staving off illness, optimizing hormone levels, insuring sleep quality, and improving my mood.

That’s right, I’m out by the pool getting some sun. I’m pleasantly thinking about not much of anything until, out of the blue clear sky, it hit me: I wanted two things very badly. And since one of them would get me arrested for public indecency at that very moment, I decided to pursue the other: ice cream.

Maybe it was the Texas heat. Maybe it was the lazy summer Sunday. But for whatever reason, I got hit with a hankerin’ for something cold and sweet.

But how could I satisfy that craving without becoming one of those dudes with “fat guy sunburn”?*

• Fat-Guy Sunburn: Stand in the afternoon sun. If you get burned on your lower “pecs” and belly instead of your upper chest, you should probably re-think that bulking plan.

My solution: healthy, homemade sorbet.

Here’s how I did it:

Shugart’s No-Belly Sorbet

1 package of Jell-O gelatin, sugar-free
6 oz frozen fruit juice concentrate (Welch’s 100% natural)
3 cups of frozen fruit
1 tub sugar-free Cool Whip (8 ounce)
1 cup water

For raspberry sorbet (shown in pic), get frozen raspberries, raspberry-flavored gelatin, and Welch’s White Grape Raspberry frozen juice.

Boil a cup of water, then stir in gelatin until dissolved. Add frozen juice (about half a standard can). Refrigerate for about 20 minutes until slightly thickened, then add fork-mashed frozen fruit along with Cool Whip. Whisk, cover, and freeze 4 hours or until solid.

This stuff ain’t exactly “low carb” but it’s low in calories compared to regular ice cream, plus most of the carbs are just from fruit anyway, so that’s no big deal for a summer treat.

Note: You have to use 100% pure frozen fruit juice. Most frozen canned fruit juices are full of high fructose corn syrup and added sugar. Read the ingredient list and shelve it if it adds sugar or contains HFCS.

And here’s an option for you: Peach Sorbet.

Simply use frozen peaches, peach-flavored sugar-free gelatin, and Welch’s 100% White Grape Peach frozen juice. The rest of the recipe is the same.

This stuff really hits the spot. Try it this summer.

Here’s a shot of the peach variety.

And finally a pic of the process.

Thanks Chris,
Looks yummy. I kicked the jello habit when I read this–

The gelatin you eat in Jell-O comes from the collagen in cow or pig bones, hooves, and connective tissues. To make gelatin, manufacturers grind up these various parts and pre-treat them with either a strong acid or a strong base to break down cellular structures and release proteins like collagen. After pre-treatment, the resulting mixture is boiled.

During this process, the large collagen protein ends up being partially broken down, and the resulting product is called gelatin. The gelatin is easily extracted because it forms a layer on the surface of the boiling mixture.

they sure make hooves and connective tissue yummy…mmmmmm…

i’m half surprised Superfood didn’t find it’s way into this recipe. looks good, this is another one i’ll have to try when i’m back at home

[quote]E99_Curt wrote:

i’m half surprised Superfood didn’t find it’s way into this recipe. looks good, this is another one i’ll have to try when i’m back at home[/quote]

I haven’t tried Superfood in this yet. I’m sure it would work. Maybe use blueberries instead of peaches or raspberries, since that’s what Superfood mainly tastes like anyway. But the problem comes with what gelatin to use since there’s no blueberry flavored Jell-O. Unflavored gelatin might work though.

I went to the store tonight to buy the ingredients to make this. Every tub of cool whip/whipped cream had HFCS in it, while none of the spray cans did. Any reason why? I also couldn’t find any sugar free cool whip/whipped cream at all.

[quote]Shanny wrote:
I went to the store tonight to buy the ingredients to make this. Every tub of cool whip/whipped cream had HFCS in it, while none of the spray cans did. Any reason why? I also couldn’t find any sugar free cool whip/whipped cream at all.[/quote]

Odd. I always see the sugar-free kind, usually in generic and brand name, which doesn’t have the HFCS. Not sure why there’s a difference, and I’m not sure if the spray cans would work. If you try them, let me know if they fly for this recipe.

We made it last night and used 1 can of Reddi-Wip. Worked great, although it did have some sugar in it. It worked out to 2-3 grams per serving. We used the raspberry recipe and it was amazing! Thanks.

[quote]Shanny wrote:
We made it last night and used 1 can of Reddi-Wip. Worked great, although it did have some sugar in it. It worked out to 2-3 grams per serving. We used the raspberry recipe and it was amazing! Thanks.[/quote]

Awesome, thanks for getting back to me on that!

I just tried a big batch of this because I’ve got some friends coming over.

First, I doubled the recipe. JEEZE THAT’S A LOT OF GHETTO JELLO SORBET!

What size of tub of cool whip does the recipe officially refer to? The smaller, 8oz size?

Also, I notice that using 1 cup of water for the jello is half the amount of water used for regular jello. Is that an intentional thickening on your part? I got nervous and used 1.5 cups per packet.

Ultimately, it still pretty much tastes not like sorbet, but like a mix of jello and cool whip to me. Which is still delicious.

(Oh, and one of my friends is allergic to nutrasweet, so this version in my freezer is basically a way to mainline sucrose into your brain).

[quote]EasyRhino wrote:

What size of tub of cool whip does the recipe officially refer to? The smaller, 8oz size?
[/quote]

Yes, 8.

Ooh, another thought, but this might be a candidate to dump some vanilla flavored protein powder into?

I know that reaching a protein quota really isn’t the point of ice cream, but the taste of the cool whip seems like it could accompany the protein power pretty well.

[quote]EasyRhino wrote:
Ooh, another thought, but this might be a candidate to dump some vanilla flavored protein powder into?

I know that reaching a protein quota really isn’t the point of ice cream, but the taste of the cool whip seems like it could accompany the protein power pretty well.[/quote]

I haven’t tried that myself. If you try it, let us know how it works.