Biotest

Shrimp Fried 'Rice'

I made this for the first time tonight and it is SO similar to regular fried rice that my shrimp-fried-rice-loving boyfriend said that I probably could have fooled him into believing it was take-out. Instead of rice, it’s made with cauliflower!

I found the recipe on this blog (which is a really cool resource for cooking without grains):

http://healthyindulgences.blogspot.com/search/label/fried%20rice

But here’s the text she posted for the recipe:

Shrimp Fried "Rice"
Makes 3 servings

Ingredients:

2 heapings cups of grated fresh cauliflower
2 tablespoons coconut oil (any cooking oil is fine)
1/2 cup sugar snap pea pods
1/3 cup onion, chopped
4 tablespoons wheat-free tamari or soy sauce
1/4 teaspoon sesame oil
1/2 teaspoon sea salt
dash of garlic powder
1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
1-4 oz can of baby shrimp, or protein of choice
1/4 cup of green peas
2 eggs, beaten
green onion, for garnish (optional)

Preparation:

Grate cauliflower using a fine cheese grater. Heat up pan with 1 tablespoon of coconut oil. Mix together sesame oil, tamari, and seasonings in a bowl. Sautee onions for 3 minutes over medium heat, or until translucent. Remove from pan and set aside. Sautee sugar snap peas until tender. Add more oil if necessary and all of the cauliflower, stir frying for a couple of minutes. Pour in 1/2 of the soy sauce mixture and stir fry to coat the cauliflower evenly. When the cauliflower is tender, add cooked vegetables, shrimp, and peas along with the rest of the soy sauce mixture. Push “rice” to the side of the pan and scramble eggs on the other side, moving spatula quickly to incorporate eggs with the “rice” mixture. Serve in cute bowls with chopsticks and pig out with no regrets!

I made mine with some carrots in place of the regular peas, but I imagine you could put in a variety of veggies and it would still taste fantastic. And while I’m pimping the cauliflower-as-rice thing, there’s an Indian Chicken Curry recipe on that same website that is equally to die for!

That looks great!

Cauliflower is a nice “blank canvas”, like chicken. You can do a ton with it in the kitchen.

Gonna try it this weekend. Thanks Chimera23!!!

tomorrow looks like GO time for me on this. i have a head of cauli all ready and waiting. just need to get paid tomorrow and buy a cheese grater.

Just made my own version with onions and celery.

“Rice” is back!

some of the recipes on that blog look amazing! Defo guna try some. Guna get some cauliflower this weekend and try out this dish!

this paired with the jambalya recipe on here will be an epic win

[quote]nateschmidt24 wrote:
this paired with the jambalya recipe on here will be an epic win[/quote]

Good idea!

I was checking the HSM forum to make sure this recipe was on here. Good call Chimera. I like mine with chicken, extra veggies (including carrots, half the soy sauce and a heaping spoonful of chili-garlic paste. Mmmm. It really is a great substitute for rice. My wife ate almost half of my dinner last time I made it! (Initially she was too skeptical and planned to eat something else.)