Biotest

Show Us Your HSMs!

Show us your healthy meals!

Here’s dinner last night, a variation on my <a href="http://velocity.t-nation.com/free_online_forum/diet_performance_nutrition_bodybuilding_velocity_recipe/flourless_pizza_finally"target=“new”>Cauliflower Pizza recipe.

Yep, that’s asparagus on pizza. And it rocked.

Show off your HSM!

I don’t have a picture for it, but I love this combination.

2 scoops chocolate Metabolic Drive
2 tbsp unsweetened cocoa or dark cocoa (more partial to dark myself)
1 cup nonfat vanilla greek yogurt
1 cup frozen blueberries
2 tbsp splenda
little bit of almond breeze or H2O to stir in the powder

This was my first HSM of the V-Diet.
Steak, Chicken and Vegetables.
I also cooked for my girlfriend.

Rib-Eye Steak w/ gorgonzola butter, roasted asparagus, roasted tomatoes, grilled artichoke, grilled bell peppers, mashed rutabaga, black olives stuffed with mozzarella cheese - then marinated with green olives and red pepper vinaigrette, marinated mozzarella cheese balls, and finally a spinach arugula salad.

Cabbage stir fry, chicken and couple pieces of canadian bacon topped with some parm. cheese and red pepper flakes.

[quote]corstijeir wrote:
Rib-Eye Steak w/ gorgonzola butter, roasted asparagus, roasted tomatoes, grilled artichoke, grilled bell peppers, mashed rutabaga, black olives stuffed with mozzarella cheese - then marinated with green olives and red pepper vinaigrette, marinated mozzarella cheese balls, and finally a spinach arugula salad.[/quote]

How did you cook all that great stuff and keep it warm, do you have an assistant?

It’s all about timing.

Prepped everything ready to be cooked before cooking it.

Take out 2 table spoons of I can’t believe it’s not butter to soften in a bowl
Start Charcoal
Started boiling water for artichokes, prepped artichokes( cut in half, remove the bad bits, etc ).
Steamed artichokes, while steaming I stuffed the olives then marinated.
Remove artichokes from steam, cover, sit.
Peel and cube rutabaga, added more water to previously used water for steaming, steamed rutabaga.
Slice bell peppers.
Prep asparagus, put in dish, cover with olive oil, salt and cracked pepper.
Take skillet, add olive oil and some diced garlic, put tomatoes in oil, swish around, turned on low heat.
Cleaned Grill plates ontop nice fire bruning charcoal.
Go inside, snack on cheese crackers and red pepper hummus.
Mix ingredients for cheese i can’t believe it’s not butter with said can’t believe.
Check rutabaga, still too hard, give tomatoes a shake.
Wrap bell pepper in aluminum foil. Slice Lemon for grilling.
Turn oven on, put I can’t believe it’s not butter on top in a bowl to melt.
Go outside, spread charcoal, looks ready for cooking.
Grab tray of seasoned meat ( olive oil, salt, pepper and love ), grab artichokes, grab bell pepper, grab lemon.
Set bell peppers towards back corner of grill
add steaks to grill
add artichokes to cooler side while still having access to heat( wasn’t cool enough, but still great )
Add lemon to top rack
Run inside, turn up heat on tomatoes, give another shake, stick asparagus in oven, stick dishes from outside into sink, grab new dishes to bring in food
Grab another cheese cracker and hummus, go back outside, give steaks a quarter turn
jiggle bell peppers
Flip steaks, listen to searing, see small flare up’s, giggle
flip pepper’s
quarter turn steaks, place lemon on bottom rack, listen to burning, close lid
run inside, remove rutabaga, dump into bowl for mixing, add i can’t believe it’s not butter, salt, cracked pepper
jiggle tomatoes, check asparagus, run outside
remove meat, artichokes, lemons, go inside
rest meat ( spread gorgonzola butter mixture on top of some )
remove outer leaves of artichokes place into serving dish, squeeze lemon into melted butter on stove, spoon over artichokes, grab steams of tomatoes, remove to serving dish
mash rutabaga, serve from bowl
grab spinach-arugula blend from fridge, grab cherry tomatoes, grab marinated cheese, grab marinated olives
go outside, grab peppers, add to serving dish
Make plate, ohh crap I forgot there’s asparagus, remove from oven, mmm, add to plate
Artichokes and salad get their own plates.

And there you have it.

[quote]corstijeir wrote:

Take out 2 table spoons of I can’t believe it’s not butter to soften in a bowl

[/quote]

everything sounded delicious except this

I took this pic for another site, but I guess it counts as a HSM (although in the excess).

14 eggs, 2 chicken breasts, stalk of brocolli, handful of spinach, sun dried tomatoes, garlic, onions, cinnamon, black pepper, potassium, garlic salt, coconut oil, plum sauce.

I <3 post workout meals.

Oh yeah, and my shirt is awesome.

For breakfast, I’ve been making delicious omelets:

• heat up some olive oil or pam in a non-stick pan
  • add some chopped onions or garlic or both
  • add a handful or 2 of shredded spinach
  • add some bell peppers (i prefer a mix of sweet peppers)
  • let cook for around 2-3 minutes
  • add a cup or so of egg substitute, or whole eggs if you want
  • add pepper, salt, garlic salt, etc to taste
  • i also like to add a little salsa
  • you could also add chesses

Shit is delicious
I like to have it with an MD shake: 1 scoop vanilla MD and 1/2 serving mixed frozen berries. best way to start the day!

Here’s my dinner tonight. Steak and broccoli, one of my favorite combos. I also started with a spinach salad tossed with a mix of green, orange and red chopped peppers and salsa instead of dressing.

On a side note – I’ve always grilled my steak in the past either on an open flame or on the Foreman. Tonight I tried a different method: browning the outside on a skillet on the stove, then baking it in the oven until done. I gotta admit, this was WAY better than grilling. I’ll be using that method from now on.

[quote]hankinstien wrote:
Here’s my dinner tonight. Steak and broccoli, one of my favorite combos. I also started with a spinach salad tossed with a mix of green, orange and red chopped peppers and salsa instead of dressing.

On a side note – I’ve always grilled my steak in the past either on an open flame or on the Foreman. Tonight I tried a different method: browning the outside on a skillet on the stove, then baking it in the oven until done. I gotta admit, this was WAY better than grilling. I’ll be using that method from now on.

[/quote]
Preheat oven to 500, put skillet in ovn while preheating, once heated remove skillet, add salt, pepper and olive oil to steak, put skillet on medium heat, add meat, 30s sear on each side, stick in oven 3 minutes each side, mmm.

That way works great, but a proper grill still can’t be beat if you know what you’re doing :slight_smile:

Last night’s dinner. My favorite “go-to” quick and healthy meal: baked salmon with grilled veggies. Basic recipe here:

http://velocity.t-nation.com/free_online_forum/diet_performance_nutrition_bodybuilding_velocity_recipe/fancyschmancy_salmon

Baked on parchment paper, this is also a no-mess meal. Bonus!

Chris,
I’ve been making egg white omelets with peppers, onions and spinach for breakfast…any ideas on carbs i could include in this meal? Other than oats? Bread is out of the picture, so this limits my options a bit

[quote]hlss09 wrote:
Chris,
I’ve been making egg white omelets with peppers, onions and spinach for breakfast…any ideas on carbs i could include in this meal? Other than oats? Bread is out of the picture, so this limits my options a bit[/quote]

First, why egg whites only? Nothing at all wrong with yolks. Escape 1990 nutrition myths! :wink:

Second, why do you have to have carbs besides vegetables and fruit? Is there some “breakfast must have a starchy carb” rule I missed?

hahaha good point
(you did mention that one should eat a lot of carbs in their breakfast in your 7 rules for leanness article though)…

[quote]hlss09 wrote:
hahaha good point
(you did mention that one should eat a lot of carbs in their breakfast in your 7 rules for leanness article though)…[/quote]

I’d have to look that old article up, but I probably mean that, as a general rule, carbs are better for breakfast as compared to later in the day, when they’re more likely to be stored and not “used.”

But maybe not. My nutritional philosophy has come a long way in the last few years.

http://images.t-nation.com/forum_images/c/f/cf0ef_ORIG-DSC01319.jpg

Here is the meal that we have been eating a lot this week. Tortilla free chicken fajitas.
Chicken breast, cut up
Natural fajita seasoning packet
Couple TBSP of oil (for chicken and vegies)
Peppers (green/red)
Onions
Smart Balance sour cream
Heat (wife - cayenne, myself - Louisiana hot sauce
Black beans â?? canned

• Sauté the veggies and cook the chicken. Add fajita seasoning at the end of cooking the chicken. Black beans on bottom of the bowl. Everything else on top to taste.

Paleo diet types do not recommend a lot of beans due to the lectins and anti-nutrients. I haven’t made my mind up about how much is too much in the diet. Beans do contain some additional carbs, but the effect on blood sugar and insulin is pretty low due to the meal, glycemic index of the beans, and all the fiber. I like the beans in it because it does make it taste closer to fajitas than without them. Good meal. Quick, healthy, and filling.

[quote]Wolfman155 wrote:
Here is the meal that we have been eating a lot this week. Tortilla free chicken fajitas.
Chicken breast, cut up
Natural fajita seasoning packet
Couple TBSP of oil (for chicken and vegies)
Peppers (green/red)
Onions
Smart Balance sour cream
Heat (wife - cayenne, myself - Louisiana hot sauce
Black beans â?? canned

• SautÃ?© the veggies and cook the chicken. Add fajita seasoning at the end of cooking the chicken. Black beans on bottom of the bowl. Everything else on top to taste.

Paleo diet types do not recommend a lot of beans due to the lectins and anti-nutrients. I haven’t made my mind up about how much is too much in the diet. Beans do contain some additional carbs, but the effect on blood sugar and insulin is pretty low due to the meal, glycemic index of the beans, and all the fiber. I like the beans in it because it does make it taste closer to fajitas than without them. Good meal. Quick, healthy, and filling. [/quote]

Looks great!

I see no reason to worry about beans. That’s where “Paleo” goes a bit far. Sure, they’re starchy (but also full of fiber), but as part of a big recipe it’s no big deal. I don’t overdo them, but I don’t fear them either. Long story short: no one has ever gotten fat on plain beans. Bean burritos, yes. Beans, no.

“Cutting Pancakes”

I just got a pancake pan, with individual holes to fill with batter (that’s what she said). The thing works great, but you can also go old school and use a pan…Anyway:

• Mix a few egg whites with a scoop of any flavor Metabolic Drive protein powder
  • Add cinnamon, splenda and/or pumpkin spice
  • Throw ingredients in blender
  • Add a drop of water
  • Blend until you have a thick batter, adding more egg white or water for thickness
  • Cook the “batter” like normal pancakes
  • If you want, you can add flax meal or oats
  • I top with Walden Farms zero calorie pancake syrup
  • I also add some blueberries as soon as the pancakes begin to bubble, right before flipping
    Good shit