Biotest

Should I Do the V-Diet?

Hey man, im 5’11 around 168 lbs around 12-13% bf… should i do the V-Diet?

Let me peer into my crystal ball…

Seriously, post a pic and we’ll tell you. That honestly the best way for me to evaluate your actual body composition.

It would also tell me whether you’re male or female, 16 or 60, trained or untrained. Which is handy info to have.

ive been lifting for the past 4 years and im 18 years old… im gonna be going into my second year of college

Nah, I don’t think you need the V-Diet at all.

We have plenty of other training programs and diets in our archives that should fit your needs.

What are your main goals? Muscle gain, fat loss, athletic improvement?

my main goals are to both lose fat and gain muscle mass, which i know is difficult to do at the same time

That doable. I think the main key to building muscle while losing fat is to focus a lot of your carb considerations around the lifting period: peri-workout. Check out the <a href="http://www.t-nation.com/free_online_article/most_recent/one_hundred_gram_carb_cure"target=“new”>100 Gram Carb Cure.

The idea is to keep carbs low for most of the day, but pack them in around weight training where they’re really “put to work.”

Overall calories matter as well of course, but you only need 500-1000 over maintenance to build muscle. Another article for you here:

All that said, you look pretty lean to me, so don’t squander this time (being 18 years old) by overdoing the cardio or dieting too strictly all the time. I think you’ll find that with hard training and a clean diet, you can build muscle and drop some body fat at the same time without too much trouble.

what supplements would you reccomend?

[quote]steegerson wrote:
what supplements would you reccomend?[/quote]

Focus on the lifting supps first: Surge Workout Fuel, MAG-10, Anaconda, Surge Recovery, FINiBAR. You don’t need all of those right now, but look them over in the store here and see what best fits your needs: http://www.t-nation.com/store/

Second: I’d recommend Metabolic Drive Muscle Growth formula for a college guy who’s training hard and may not always have the best solid foods laying around: http://www.t-nation.com/store/supplements/metabolic-drive-muscle-growth.jsp

awesome, one last question… What do you think the best program on T-Nation do you think would be best for me?

Tons to choose from. Hard to go wrong.

I like this one below, just because it’s something you’ve probably never tried before, which is good. Give it a shot.

Hey Chris, same question. I’m about 5’9’’, 170. I’ve been training since 04 (not 100% continuously until 07 to present.) I run track unattached at the collegiate level (sprints) and am working on getting a few D1 walk on tryouts arranged. As far as my day goes I work as a tire hand/laborer in a semi shop. I was wondering if I should do the V-Diet or maybe go with something else to help me lean up a bit. Thanks.

I wouldn’t recommend the V-Diet for you either. See my suggestions above. Should fit you pretty well too.

Thanks Chris

chris i am in the exact same scenario as these two guys - not lean enough to warrant v-diet, still in need of adding muscle mass, but craving visible abs (not “contest shape” obviously, but a true 10%). i refuse to believe that this is the wrong goal for me now as some forum members preach.
what should I(we?) focus on? I am making gradual strength gains, and eat an appropriate number of calories (I am not gaining weight rapidly, nor losing it rapidly), does the answer lie in simply making my diet stricter/cleaner? you see, I always find that whenever I try to reduce my carbs/eat less calories, I feel perfectly comfortable but then have shitty workouts and feel weak. I think I must be subconsciously reducing them too far (truth be told I do not properly record/measure calories - I have tried to be instinctive/follow eating “rules” - maybe this is my downfall?
any help greatly received!
thanks

@Bud: Give me some more info. Weight, height, training experience etc. Or attach a pic or PM it to me.

Yes, you may need to food log for a while. It’s very easy to go too high or too low if you’re not careful.

Hello,

I saw that the program had a lower weight limit of 160 lbs. I am 159 lbs and, therefore, received a notice from your online calculator that the V-Diet was not meant for me.

I am surprised as I have a big belly and a double-chin. :slight_smile: Can you please confirm that I should NOT do this program?? Or, I hope the calculation was mistake.

I am getting married (destination beach wedding) on Sept 3, so I am quite keen to do this program.

Here is my situation:
-34 yrs
-5’4 @ 159 lbs
-bf 28%
-I was an active (and in-shape) personal trainer when I was 25 yrs old, but then lost it gradually over the years as I switched to a corporate job. So, I’m familiar with squats, deadlifts, etc…
-I used to have a 4 pack when I weighted around 130-135 lbs lbs.
-I recently started working out a few months ago and eating reasonably healthy
-I dropped from 170 to 159 now (that was pretty easy), but I am a bit concerned that I won’t be able to hit my goal of 145 by mid August.

What do you think?

Cheers.

Chris, thanks for getting back to me - I’m 20yrs old, 6ft1, 170lbs, and very “slim” but not particularly visible abs. in terms of lifts, a few weeks ago I squatted 275 for an easy deep rep, could have done 1 or 2 more if I’sd pushed it, but my lower body strength and size completely outdoes my upperbody. I am actually going out to buy a digital camera today or tomorrow so I will try and send you a pic maybe then.
thanks man

[quote]AsherBE wrote:
Hello,

I saw that the program had a lower weight limit of 160 lbs. I am 159 lbs and, therefore, received a notice from your online calculator that the V diet was not meant for me.

I am surprised as I have a big belly and a double-chin. :slight_smile: Can you please confirm that I should NOT do this program?? Or, I hope the calculation was mistake.

I am getting married (destination beach wedding) on Sept 3, so I am quite keen to do this program.

Here is my situation:
-34 yrs
-5’4 @ 159 lbs
-bf 28%
-I was an active (and in-shape) personal trainer when I was 25 yrs old, but then lost it gradually over the years as I switched to a corporate job. So, I’m familiar with squats, deadlifts, etc…
-I used to have a 4 pack when I weighted around 130-135 lbs lbs.
-I recently started working out a few months ago and eating reasonably healthy
-I dropped from 170 to 159 now (that was pretty easy), but I am a bit concerned that I won’t be able to hit my goal of 145 by mid August.

What do you think?

Cheers.[/quote]

The calculator doesn’t fit everyone. Some people could be outliers – very short, very tall etc. You’re on the shorter side for a male, and it is possible to have a low scale weight and bad body composition.

What you could do is “lie” to the calculator a little and put in the minimal weight since you’re so close anyway, then follow that plan.

If you really want to know whether the V-Diet is right for you though, attach a pic or PM me one and I’ll tell you.

[quote]bud moody wrote:
Chris, thanks for getting back to me - I’m 20yrs old, 6ft1, 170lbs, and very “slim” but not particularly visible abs. in terms of lifts, a few weeks ago I squatted 275 for an easy deep rep, could have done 1 or 2 more if I’sd pushed it, but my lower body strength and size completely outdoes my upperbody. I am actually going out to buy a digital camera today or tomorrow so I will try and send you a pic maybe then.
thanks man[/quote]

I bet you could find those abs without needing a full V-Diet. There are probably simple things you could tweak in your diet or training. Just a guess, but I’m betting you just don’t need such an extreme plan for your goals.

thanks for your help, i think you’re right. for one thing, I think I have been slacking on my protein intake - I have been consuming probably only around 120g a day as I have been trying to eat almost only quality wholefoods.

What I think I am gonna do is something I have done briefly in the past which is alternating between weights days(upper/lower split) and cardio/complexes/bodyweight circuit kinda days. although I hate weight training less, I think this reduced frequency will let me recover well, and the “cardio” days should help get a little leaner without drastically reducing calories. I may later restrict carbs on these cardio days to say 100g(sounds high I know but I seem to do well on quite high carb diets).