Biotest

Scott's Log

I’ve decided to do the Velocity Diet and I feel that keeping this journal will keep me motivated toward my goals. I did my best to do the measurements correctly, but my cloth tape measurer only goes up to 39in. I had to place my finger in place and measure the rest for most of the measurements. I’ve never really cared about looking soft and pudgy as long as I could keep putting weight on the barbell. Right now the extra weight on my frame is just too much to handle for my lower back. I have a previous back injury from a convoy mission in Iraq which still gives me trouble. The medics tried to give me pain pills when I was there instead of giving me a CAT scan or MRI. I had to take a lot of time off from the gym unfortunately and I still have no diagnosis. I’ve done a lot of abdominal work and light lower back work which has definitely helped so far. Now that I’m done bitching, here’s the initial stats:

Age 23yrs
Height 6ft
Weight 258lbs
Neck 17in
Shoulders 55in
Chest - Upper 50in
Chest - Lower 47in
Waist - at Navel 45in
Waist - at largest 45in
Hips - at largest 47in
Upper Arm - L 18.5in
Upper Arm - R 18in
Upper Leg - L 28.5in
Upper Leg - R 28.5in
Lower Leg - L 16.25in
Lower Leg - R 16.5in
Ankle - L 9.25in
Ankle - R 9.25in
Wrist - L 6.75in
Wrist - R 6.75in

Today was Day 1. I did my NEPA walk at 7am for 2miles on a fasted stomach. I went to the store and it cost me $12.79 for 8oz of raw almond butter. I thought it was wrong so I asked the cashier to get a price check. Turns out it was right. Unbelievable. I take classes Monday through Thursday this semester so I’ll be “preparing my meals” in labeled ziploc baggies.

Good luck mate, if you suck it up it and stick out the whole diet i think you’ll do really well on it! Kep us updated!

Welcome aboard. Keep us posted!

Day 2

I woke up and did a morning walk again for 2miles. I meant to up HOT-ROX from 1 capsule to 2 today but I only took 1. I was originally planning on doing my own workout but I figured I might as well follow the diet completely. I just got back from the gym and my lower back is pretty inflamed from deadlifts. I went very light compared to what I can do, but with such short rest periods it’s pretty difficult to not breakdown in form in the later sets. Lat pulldowns felt too light so I’ll probably up them next time. I can do regular pullups which makes me wonder how they equate the machine weight. (100lbs machine is ~258lbs?) I followed the guidelines and stopped my sets as soon as I noticed my speed decrease. Here is the workout:

Lat Pulldowns (8-9rm) (45s rest) (40rep total)
100 x 9
100 x 9
100 x 9
100 x 9
100 x 4

Incline DB Bench (8-9rm) (45s rest) (40rep total)
60 x 9
60 x 9
60 x 9
60 x 8
60 x 5

Romanian Deadlifts (8-9rm) (45s rest) (40rep total)
275 x 9
275 x 6
275 x 6
275 x 5
275 x 5
275 x 5
275 x 4

BB Curls (8-9rm) (45s rest) (40rep total)
50 x 9
50 x 9
50 x 7
50 x 6
50 x 5
50 x 4

Hanging Leg Raises (8-9rm) (45s rest) (40rep total)
*switched to Hanging Knee Raises

[quote]Marzouk wrote:
Good luck mate, if you suck it up it and stick out the whole diet i think you’ll do really well on it! Kep us updated![/quote]

Thanks, I’ll try not to disappoint

[quote]Chris Shugart wrote:
Welcome aboard. Keep us posted! [/quote]

Thanks Mr. Shugart. I just read your post about big guys and the fear of losing the bulk. There is a lot of pressure in my circle of friends to constantly put on weight. I’ve been fat, I’ve been skinny, I’ve been skinny fat, and now I’m muscle fat in that order. As much as I love the feeling of moving more weight, I’d rather be able to go up 2 flights of stairs without sweating and having to rest. I’m not sure yet how I want to proceed after this diet is over.

Day 3

I walked 2 miles again today. I got a few weird looks in class for opening a ziploc bag full of powder and then making a shake…oh well I’m not going to starve for 3 hours. I have no idea how these people can not eat anything all day. I took 2 HOT-ROX today and had no heart problems so I’ll try 3 tomorrow. My lower back is still tender from yesterday, but it’s not painful. I have pics from when I started, but I’d rather post them when I have comparisons.

Day 4

Walked for 2 miles again this morning but at a slightly faster pace (treadmill in my gym). I took 3 HOT-ROX today with no problems. I’ll try 3 again tomorrow before going to 4. I just got back from today’s workout. I was warming up for front squats with 135 on the bar and noticed in the mirror a really good looking girl checking me out. I lost my focus and balance and ended up falling backwards in the hole haha. I tried to play it off by immediately doing a few more reps. I guess she didn’t care too much because she was eye-f’ing me the rest of the time…too bad I only have 30sec rest periods…thanks Chad (j/k). My speed burned out very quickly on Front Squats and Chinups. I let my wrist extend too far on Push Presses while cranking out reps. Here’s the workout (WU = warmup. BW = bodyweight):

Front Squats (4-5rm) (30sec rest) (25 reps total)
WU 45 x 15
WU 135 x 8
185 x 5
185 x 5
185 x 3
185 x 3
185 x 3
185 x 2
185 x 3
185 x 1

Close-Grip Bench Press (4-5rm) (30sec rest) (25 reps total)
185 x 5
195 x 5
195 x 4
195 x 4
195 x 3
195 x 3
195 x 1

Chin-ups (4-5rm) (30sec rest) (25 reps total)
BW x 5
BW x 4
BW x 3
BW x 2
BW x 2
BW x 2
BW x 2
BW x 2
BW x 1
BW x 2

BB Push-Press (4-5rm) (30sec rest) (25 reps total)
135 x 5
135 x 5
135 x 5
135 x 5
135 x 4
135 x 1

http://images.t-nation.com/forum_images/4/e/4e1bc_ORIG-Day_1_all.jpg

I was going to wait, but I figure I’ll be forced to get results if I post these day 1 pics now (only pictures I flexed were the leg shots). I’ve been trying to self-correct my posture the past couple of months to help alleviate back pain. If anyone can point out imbalances, pelvic tilt and whatnot I’m all ears.

Day 5

I did a little more than 2 miles today at a slightly faster pace. Tomorrow I’m going to go back to a lower speed but at an incline. I can feel my cardio getting better by the day. I went to my friend’s new shore house last night for a house warming party and brought my shaker with me. Everyone was drinking, smoking, and eating pizza and ripping on me trying to get me to “lighten up.” They don’t understand…which is fine because I don’t expect them to understand. It was actually pretty motivating having people try to peer pressure me.

Day 6

Pretty standard day. I’m starting to see more definition in my quads and my face appears to have lost some of the fullness. My sense of smell has heightened and it’s only been about a week. I guess it’s a self-defense mechanism for the body to search out calories. I felt like I was cheating by sniffing nachos with melted cheese watching football with my family.

nice dude, I can tell you’re going to do well, you’ve definitely got the right mindset. And def some good size under there as well.[quote]Scott aka Rice wrote:
Day 4

Walked for 2 miles again this morning but at a slightly faster pace (treadmill in my gym). I took 3 HOT-ROX today with no problems. I’ll try 3 again tomorrow before going to 4. I just got back from today’s workout. I was warming up for front squats with 135 on the bar and noticed in the mirror a really good looking girl checking me out. I lost my focus and balance and ended up falling backwards in the hole haha. I tried to play it off by immediately doing a few more reps. I guess she didn’t care too much because she was eye-f’ing me the rest of the time…too bad I only have 30sec rest periods…thanks Chad[/quote]
Hmm…Sounds like a potential nepa opportunity

Day 7

Today I weighed in at 250lbs. That’s a loss of 8lbs since day 1. I’m guessing most of this is water weight so I’m very curious to see the results from next week. This morning I walked 2 miles at a higher incline. I also ate my first solid meal which replaced shake 4. I had meatloaf, carrots, corn, and broccoli. I just got back from the gym and I didn’t realize how bad my flexibility (or lack thereof) has gotten. I have no problem doing full back/front squats (yes full I have videotaped my workouts and I’ve done box squats), yet I had to use just the barbell as resistance. Any more weight and it would have fallen forward. I had to plant my feet extremely wide stance and flared out considerably before I could get decent reps. While I’m not planning on doing O-lifts after this, I definitely want to correct this imbalance. The Bent-over BB Rows were done as parallel to the ground as possible with a supinated grip. I couldn’t find the dip belt in the gym so I had to just hold a dumbell between my feet. My old gym had everything I needed but they kept jacking up the prices (my old gym is actually the one featured in the pictures by this diet. If you look closely you can see my chalk on the barbell and plates). Anyway, here’s the workout:

Bent-over BB Row (4-5rm) (25sec rest) (20reps total)
185 x 5
185 x 4
185 x 3
185 x 3
185 x 3
185 x 2

Overhead Squat
45 x epic fail
45 x 5
45 x 5
45 x 5
45 x 5

Dips
45 x 5
45 x 5
45 x 5
45 x 3
45 x 2

Ab Wheel

[quote]panther2k wrote:
nice dude, I can tell you’re going to do well, you’ve definitely got the right mindset. And def some good size under there as well.[/quote]

Thanks, I’m doing my best to get rid of the bad size haha.

Day 8

I walked at a higher incline again for 2 miles (I’ve been going up by .5 incline on the treadmill each day). After I climbed the stairs to my class I realized I wasn’t out of breath or sweating which is clearly a good sign. It could be the morning cardio, the HRX, or the lower amount of carbs, but I have a lot more energy than I normally would have had before this diet. I wouldn’t contribute it to the reduced volume of workouts because there’s been days where I’ve done absolutely nothing and felt lethargic.

Day 9

I walked at an incline of 2.0 on the treadmill for 2 miles. Someone I haven’t seen in a month told me I look like I’ve lost weight (I haven’t told anyone other than this forum about the Velocity Diet. I don’t want a lot of questions to be raised). So far I haven’t had any serious food cravings, but I would like to have a nice steak with eggs when this is over. In the gym I moved up weight on Lat Pulldowns and it was still pretty light so I’m going to move up again next time. I lowered the weight on Deadlifts to make sure I don’t hurt my lower back again and did touch and go’s for the first time going just short of lockout. Here’s the workout:

(8-9rm) (40sec rest) (40 reps total)

Lat Pulldowns
115 x 9
115 x 9
115 x 9
115 x 9
115 x 4

Incline DB Press Neutral Grip
60 x 9
60 x 9
60 x 8
60 x 8
60 x 6

Romanian Deadlifts
225 x 9
225 x 9
225 x 9
225 x 9
225 x 4

BB Curls
50 x 9
50 x 9
50 x 9
50 x 5
50 x 5
50 x 3

Hanging Knee Raises

Day 10

I walked at an incline of 2.5 for 2 miles this morning. It felt pretty challenging so I’m going to do it again tomorrow. My body woke up before my alarm so I ended up going to the gym around 6am. I thought I’d be one of the first ones there but lo and behold I saw a group of older men playing racquetball. It’s nice to see not everyone uses their age to justify inactivity.

Day 11

I walked at 2.5 incline again for 2 miles this morning and it felt easier than yesterday. Tonight I had to wait after front squats for a few minutes until a bench opened up. I had time to look around and see people walking around without energy and an overall lack of enthusiasm just going through the motions. I personally enjoy lifting weights and I can’t understand why anyone would waste their time doing something in which they’re not passionate. When I got to chin-ups, I was able to generate more force in the initial sets which tells me I’m either losing weight, getting more explosive, or a combination. Here’s the workout:

(4-5rm) (25 sec rest) (25 reps total)

Front Squats
WU 45 x 15
WU 135 x 8
185 x 5
185 x 5
185 x 5
185 x 5
185 x 5

Close-Grip Bench
195 x 5
195 x 5
195 x 5
195 x 5
195 x 5

Chin-ups
BW x 5
BW x 5
BW x 4
BW x 3
BW x 3
BW x 2
BW x 2
BW x 1

BB Push Press
135 x 5
135 x 5
135 x 5
135 x 5
135 x 4
135 x 1

Day 12

I decided to walk outside today at a leisurely pace. I saw a few friends today that I haven’t seen in a few weeks and I got nothing but positive comments about how I look better. They bullied me into measuring my arms and they’re ~19in now. I don’t normally do any direct bicep work so maybe that’s why they grew a little bit since day 1. More importantly, I feel happier since I’ve started. I’m definitely pleased with the way things are shaping up so far.

Day 13

I had some intense cravings today out of the blue. I drank even more water than usual just to try and make myself feel full. I think it’s because I don’t do much on Sundays which gives me more time to think about food.