Biotest

Salba Seeds

Chris any word on how these will work compared to the flax?

I’m actually waiting on an order of them now. They look superior to flax seeds on paper. Can’t say for sure yet though.

Hi Chris,
I am very glad to read that you will soon try Salba! I am the nutritionist working at Source Salba, and I have great expectations of Salba for exercise in combination with weight loss without muscle loss. Salba has extraordinary properties; it can hold 14 times its weight in water and may therefore be a good source to keep your body hydrated and to decrease hunger cravings and calorie intake.

The seed has also an extremely high amount of omega-3s which have been associated with increased fat oxidation and reduced breakdown of muscle mass. Animal studies on Salba have shown that broiler chickens on a Salba diet had lower body weight and lower fat mass. Moreover, Salba contains 20% protein and many antioxidants which help to recover your body after an intensive workout.
If you send me your phone number we can discuss this further.

Jedid, I emailed you. Thanks!

Jedid,

If you’re still reading this, I have a question for you. Is Salba just a trademarked name for the Chia seeds? I’ve been including 1 serving of Chia in my morning shakes and I can definately attest that it keeps my full longer than 2tbsp of flaxmeal.

[quote]Jedid wrote:
The seed has also an extremely high amount of omega-3s which have been associated with increased fat oxidation and reduced breakdown of muscle mass. [/quote]

Just like to point out that the omega 3 fats in salba is nowhere near anything like the omega 3 fat in fish.

Fish omega 3 is comprised of EPA and DHA while the one from salba (flax as well) is ALA.

It takes a ton of ALA omega 3 to convert into EPA and DHA.

It won’t hurt you, but never rely on ALA omega 3 as your source of omega 3, you will never eat enough to actually get the proper dosage that you get from fish omega 3s.

It certainly does not hurt but it ain’t fish oil.

[quote]Sayjin wrote:
Jedid,

If you’re still reading this, I have a question for you. Is Salba just a trademarked name for the Chia seeds? I’ve been including 1 serving of Chia in my morning shakes and I can definately attest that it keeps my full longer than 2tbsp of flaxmeal.[/quote]

Salba is Chia.

Salba is a variety of ancient plant species belonging to the mint family called Chia. Its botanical name is Salvia hispanica L.

The brilliant Aztecs used Chia to sustain them on long and arduous hunting and trading expeditions and in battle. Runners would relay messages throughout their immense kingdom relying on it for their only source of nourishment.

But here are the differences:

Salba vs. Chia

The differences between Salba and Chia are significant:

Salba is nutritionally consistent
Salba is higher in Omega-3 Fatty Acids than Mexican Chia
Salba is higher in Protein than Mexican Chia
Salba is more aesthetically appealing in food preparation
Salba has higher water absorption capacity than Mexican Chia
Salba is whitish grey in color/Chia is mostly black
Salba has white flowers/Chia has blue/purple flowers
Salba is grown under controlled conditions
Salba is a registered variety

Most importantly,

Salba is the only type of Salvia hispanica that has undergone intensive clinical examination

Salba is the only type of Salvia hispanica for which there are Health Claims.

Now with that said, if the Aztecs used simple Chia for all its nutritional wonder then the difference is probably not that big… IMHO certainly not worth the high price of salba compared to chia. But marketing hype is everywhere…

Scroll down the page of the link provided to see a comparison between chia and salba.

Basically there is none, the same thing.

Chia is cheaper.

http://www.aviva.ca/shop/products.asp?itemid=4145&catid=141

DAMN those look good!

I just chucked a serve of Chia in my shake and gave it a few minutes. The seeds expand nicely have absolutely no flavour I could taste and the texture was really smooth.

They say that if you mix 1Tbsp with 1cup of water it’ll actually form a gel you can use to thicken shakes and stuff.

Anyway I’m a lover of ground flax seeds in my shakes and cooking but these are awesome for those that can’t take it, don’t like the flavour or are looking for something new.

Personally I vastly prefer Chia over Flax.

The one issue I find with Chia is that if I add it to a shake and take the shake to go and drink hours later, it turns the shake into goo.

Now I grind the chia, blend the shake, go out and add the chia powder when it’s time to drink the shake.