Biotest

Rugbyfan's Journey to Fit

So I’m on day 3 of the V-Diet and decided to follow the protocol and finally start my log. I will have some pictures and measurements up soon. To sum up my journey so far it’s been a rocky one.

After my sophomore year of college I finally got tired of being 265 and fat so I started running. I ran and ran and ran. I dropped down to 225, but I was as skinny-fat as ever. Needless to say I was pumped with the progress and kept it up.

I finally decided to get in the gym and start lifting. Since then it’s been an up and down battle. Somewhere along the way I began a short lived stint doing MMA. I went through some tough cutting and weighed in for my last fight at 203. I lost a lot of muscle along the way too.

Even still, it was the leanest I’ve ever been. I decided to go on a dirty bulk after fighting and got much stronger, but I also got up to 250 and I freaked out about the fat gain. After that I let life get in the way and gave up being in the gym. Stupidest decision ever.

That brings me to my current state of being. I finally got my first paycheck from my first real job since graduating college and I decided to spend it getting in shape. Somehow I even talked the g/f into doing it with me. We still have a long way to go, with 25 days, but I know that we’ll make it through.

I’ll keep you all updated and get those pics and measurements up ASAP…

Got those measurements.

Height 6’2"
Weight - 237.5
Shoulders 27.5
Chest - Upper 44
Chest - Lower 41
Waist - at Navel 43
Waist - at largest 38.5
Hips - at largest 43
Upper Arm - L 15
Upper Arm - R 15
Upper Leg - L 25.4
Upper Leg - R 25.5
Lower Leg - L 17
Lower Leg - R 17.2
Ankle - L 10.6
Ankle - R 10.6

Looks like the camera is dead so it’ll be a bit before I’m able to get pictures, but they’ll be coming.

I know it’s just the beginning, but I’m really getting into the swing of things. Just got up and did my NEPA walk for no reason instead of mindlessly watching TV. As for the shakes I’m getting used to the sweetness and I’m pretty much on auto-pilot mode now. I’m looking forward to the rest of the diet and the long term changes on the horizon.

thanks Rugbyfan! Believe me, those 4 weeks are going to be over before you now it! When i first started the diet, i kept thinking to myself “omg 25 more days, how the hell am i going to do this?!?!” but i did and i know you will too. Like you said, you go on “auto-pilot” and it just becomes your “new” way of life.

Anyway, best of luck to you and your girlfriend (its great that you have someone to do this with, its hard doing it by yourself!) and make sure you take some before pictures. Even if you decide not to post them, just keep them readily availabel to yourself as motivation, thats what i did anyway. It kept me going! Cheers!

-D-

Thanks man. As for the g/f she actually decided to do it on her own after I asked if she wanted to. She’s really getting into it to. I think I may even have her addicted to the gym after this. It is nice to have someone going through it as well and I think we’re going to make it through and be really happy in the end. Just got 24 more days to go!

I think I could strangle someone for a chicken breast right about now. Yeah, a chicken breast with some adobo seasoning and for some reason some sautéed onions. Yeah, and some red and green peppers as well. Maybe some broccoli thrown in to top it off. Wednesday couldn’t come soon enough.

It’s all good though. I’m fantasizing about the right foods and that’s all that matters. The v-diet is really going to help me kick my carb cravings once and for all and that’s why I’m loving it. For now I’m avoiding lunch with the other teachers to avoid the questions, but once week 2 rolls around I’ll feel up to answering some of them. Nice thing about being a biology teacher is that when you start talking about the human body everyone else listens 'cause they automatically assume you know what you’re talking about.

Well, I think that’s about enough rambling for today. I’m pretty sure I’ve burned through my excess glycogen stores and I’m not exactly cloudy like I was on the keto diet, but I’m def a little less focused.

Still loving it and still going to rock it.

5 down, 23 more to go!

Yeah, I hear ya. This Sunday was when I really started with the food cravings. I was looking longingly at my husband’s sauteed mushrooms and onions and it nearly sent me over the edge.

I just keep telling myself that I have to get through Friday…

I have a little calendar that I started crossing off days with. Only gotta make it dinner tomorrow and it’s on. Still no idea what I’m going to eat, but it’s going to be fantastic.

It’s ironic that even though I’m a teacher by trade, I’m a terrible personal trainer. I’m so glad my g/f is doing this along with me, but it’s been a long time since I was a beginner. Sometimes I have to take a second and figure out the best way to explain to her how to do things. I also have to use some “tough love” sometimes to get her motivated, but she’s got such a great attitude about it. Makes the going that much easier.

Us teachers teach what we know, well. If we don’t know it, we muddle through. Same case with exercise.

I must be doing something right, cause she went in today and cranked out some deads on her own and it seemed like everything else went well. Although I’d still like to monitor her form to make sure everything’s in place.

On a diet note, had HSM number 1 today. Cooked up some prime ribeye’s topped with sauted onions and mushrooms. Had a small baked sweet potato, big bowl of greens and some veggies as a side. I also found the biggest apple I could and snagged a handfull of blueberries for desert. All in all it was awesome, but my tastebuds just aren’t fancy enough for steak. Shoulda just done a hamburger, sans bun, instead.

I’m only one week in, but I’ve been thinking and I’m going to run this v-diet for all it’s worth. Shred as much fat as possible and get back on the track to getting huge. I’m gonna do it the right way this time and stay pretty lean, but I miss being able to squat and bench as much as I did.

I almost forgot, weighed in this morning at 235 (-2.5 lbs) and I’ve almost lost an inch off my gut. All in all a pretty successful week.

Had a good gym session today. I think I need to adjust my weight on front squats though. I did the same weight as last week and used the shorter resting period this week like I’m supposed to, but my legs didn’t feel fried like they did last week.

I need to calibrate myself to this new way of lifting and figure out when I’m actually moving it slow because it’s as fast as I can move it at that weight or whether I’m moving it slow because I’ve lost the ability to move it with greater “intended speed”.

Even so, getting some nice definition in the legs. I’ve noticed that whenever I lose weight my limbs always seem to lean out first and my chest and stomach last. Guess that’s what I get for having the hormones of a male.

Put my work pants on today and they are fitting much looser than before, small victory!

Protip: Eating the PB separate from the bedtime shake is like a tasty little treat. The saltiness is also a nice change up from the sweetness of the shakes.

Yep! I looked forward to my late nite shake for precisely this reason! I make my own peanut butter, and when I had to make a new batch at the end of week 1, I added a tad more salt to the batch because I was actually missing the salt! And I usually do not salt anything when I eat…

I really should look into making my own. Might save me some bucks from buying it at the store. I’m the same way with my food. Sometimes, I can’t believe the amount of seasoning other people will put on food.

If you don’t mind posting up or sending me the method you use to make pb, that’d be awesome. I know it’s gotta be pretty simple, but I’m a scientist at heart so I do really good with precise instructions. Hence why the V-Diet is so good for me.

I go to Trader Joe’s and buy a one pound bag of roasted, unsalted peanuts. Throw it in the food processor with 3/4 teaspoon of kosher salt (If you use regular table salt, it will be less. Maybe 1/2 teaspoon?) Turn it on. It will take about 10 minutes, depending on your food processor and its wattage. My mother has some Wolfgang Puck FB and hers is done in 5 minutes. My Cuisinart does it in about 10. You will know it is ready because the mixture is not rolling around at all in the bowl (You’ll know when you see it) and it is completely smooth.

Store in a container (I use a 16oz wide mouth mason jar) and place in the refrigerator. It won’t separate in the fridge and you won’t need to stir it.

Sweet. I really wish we had one of these mysterious Trader Joe’s stores that I hear so much about. I’ll have to go get some peanuts and see what I can whip up.

We make our own PB too! (I’m the wife of ‘newlyweds’). Anyways, we received a fabulous wedding gift called the Vita-mix, and it will whip up perfectly creamy PB in about 1 minute. At first I thought it was just another blender, just now it’s my favorite kitchen item.

I’m familiar with the vita-mix. Heck of a blender. Heck of a price tag too. I still think the blendtec is the coolest blender ever though and I will have one someday. I really have to get on it though and join this homemade pb club.

Put on my belt this morning and it automatically went on the last notch. Small victory there. I guess I’ll have to reward myself with a new smaller belt after this.