Biotest

Routine & Supplementation for 38 YO14 Weeks Out from Goal?

Hi all,

I’m ready to pull the trigger and buy some supplements and pick a routine. I’m looking for guidance on supplements and training routine. There are so many routines on the site, it’s hard to know which to follow.

Here’s a bunch of info about me. Let me know if there’s anything else that would help.

I’m a 38-year old male and I want to look my best for lounging around the pool on vacation with my wife. Our vacation is 13 or 14 weeks from now. I’m 6 feet tall, and I weigh 199 lbs. I’ve lost about 10 lbs since the beginning of the year. I attribute this to getting my diet in order. My breakfast is whole fat greek yogurt with berries, creatine, protein powder, sunflower seeds, hemp seeds, chia seeds and sometimes granola. Lunch is

• salad w/ turkey, mustard, mayo, a bunch of spinach and a little vinegar
  • secondary protein, either cottage cheese or 3-4 boiled eggs.
  • a bunch of broccoli and carrots

I sometimes have a protein bar as a snack if I’m hungry.

Dinner is a mix of things, but I generally aim for high protein & fat, low carbs.

Workout has been a mishmash of stuff. In Rippetoe’s words, I’m exercising, not training. It’s been mostly bodyweight and dumbbells. I squat maybe once a week. I’d like to get back to training. My main goal is to lose the flab around my belly. Secondary is gaining muscle mass and strength.

My lifts are nothing special: My 5RM max in squat is 230lbs. My 5RM max in bench is 190.

During my lunch break, I have about 45 minutes of access to cardio equipment (rowing machine, stationary bike, etc.) dip stand, dumbbells and some assorted machines. In the evenings and weekends, I have maybe 3 hrs a week to spend, but I have a bench, bar bell, adjustable dumb bells, and ez curl bar in my basement. No easy access to pool, hills, or prowler.

So given all that, what routine and supplements best fit my goals?

Thanks for reading.

Ok so, good start so far. Once you get the training dialed into something more organized, you should be even more on track.

Tons of programs can fit the bill, you don’t need anything exotic or extreme. This program from Chad Waterbury is very solid and straight-forward, 3 days of full body lifting and a little easy cardio on non-lifting days. But, again, pretty much any plan that has a few days of lifting and a few days of cardio work will be fine.

You food sounds like you’re in a good place and have a decent handle on what to focus on and what to avoid. Obviously adjust things depending on the rate of progress as well as energy and performance in the gym.

For supplements, again, basic is fine. Workout nutrition like Plazma or Surge Workout Fuel is the best place to start. That’ll improve recovery and performance to make the most out of the new training plan.

You could also consider Indigo-3G to improve insulin sensitivity and work on the love handles/belly fat. If we didn’t have a specific timeframe to work with, I’d wait a bit and let the diet and training get a headstart, but in this situation, you may want to add it in soon enough.

Outside of that, I wouldn’t say there’s much more to consider to get to your goals. Hard work in the gym, smart eating, and a simple approach to the supps will get you there. Maybe consider doing a Training Log to get feedback as you go along and get more input about the plan.

*These statements have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration. This product is not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.

Disclaimer: Individual results may vary.