Biotest

Right, Let's Do This

A little late to be starting up my log, I know but I must admit that I didn’t originally intend on doing one at all. Initially both my roommate and I were going to do this at the same time, even so I was probably being arrogant in that I thought I didn’t want / need the support network.

Background: I’m currently a 21 year old, ~200 lbs guy in college. I’ve been working out half-assed for several years now, but I’m at the point where I’m ready to go all or nothing.

We decided that we would start on Labor day, because we were both going home the weekend before and that would give ‘one last hurrah’ to eating solid foods for a bit. I got my stuff ordered and it came in right before I left last Thursday, his card had expired though, so he had to wait to order for himself. I figured that it wouldn’t matter if we just shared and we should technically run out at the same time anyway, so we just dove right in on Monday.

The last two days were not fun. We’ve been walking to and from campus for NEPA (it’s slightly more than 2 miles one way) and have so far managed to plan out the shakes with no timing problems. I’ve had an issue with the flax seed, and even cutting down the recommended amount did not work, so I’ve been replacing it with Flameout and sugar free fiber tablets.

Last night however, (only our second day in) my roommate gave up. So now I’m flying solo so to speak, and I thought I’d better do everything to the T so I don’t cave as well. Looking back I’ve already made concessions I shouldn’t have. I didn’t haven’t yet taken pictures or measurements yet, but that’s just a lack of a tape / decent camera. I also didn’t have the best fist workout, as the gyms were all closed. (In retrospect I should have seen that coming, what with it being Labor Day and all.) But I did manage to fabricate the closest I could get with what I had at the house and I still feel like it wasn’t too far off. I’ll see what I go for a real one later tonight.

Anyone think I’ve already messed up too much and should start again later? I really hope this isn’t the case, but I’ll cede to the opinions of the people who’ve done this before.

You need to drop the “preparing to fail” mindset.

Not measuring, not planning everything ahead (and a tape measure is $1 at Wal-Mart. Come on!) You have to ask yourself if you’re really ready for this. It can’t be done in a half-ass manner. You have to make a firm decision, dig in, and do it. You’re either going to join your roommate or you’re going to stand strong and be the leader here. This is a real “lead, follow, or get out of the way” moment for you. I hope you’ll decide to lead.

I don’t think you need to start over with the diet. But you do need to start over mentally. Remember why the V-Diet appealed to you. Put your blinders on and be strong. It’s 28 days. You can do anything in 28 days.

We’re here to help.

Thanks Chris, that’s pretty much what I was hoping to hear. And the bad start was just a lack of foresight on my part (in fairness, I did have a tape somewhere, but I can’t seem to locate it.) Mentally, I’d like to say that I am ready, and have been, it just was a string of bad coincidences that got me off to a bad start.

But, n my mind, that comes awfully close to making excuses, which is something to which I will not succumb.

I can guarantee that I will not fail in this. Once a job is begun, you will not stop until it’s done. Not exactly grammatically correct, but still expresses my mindset. While my roommate dropping off so soon is a bummer, I’m just adding it as one more reason to finish. I’ll never let him live this down.

On a side note, is it normal to feel like I’m already making improvements? It seems like my pants are looser, but I can’t judge that accurately because I haven’t taken measurements. >_<

And a quick question while I’m at it. Would it be okay to occasionally take a sip of vinegar now and then? The sweetness of the shakes sometimes gets to me a bit and the bitterness helps to alleviate that.

I do feel bad for dropping out but throwing up shakes in my mouth and swallowing that was not going to get it done.

[quote]Birk777 wrote:

On a side note, is it normal to feel like I’m already making improvements? It seems like my pants are looser, but I can’t judge that accurately because I haven’t taken measurements. >_<

And a quick question while I’m at it. Would it be okay to occasionally take a sip of vinegar now and then? The sweetness of the shakes sometimes gets to me a bit and the bitterness helps to alleviate that.[/quote]

1. Most people begin to notice changes in just 2-3 days.

2. Sounds weird, but it won’t hurt the diet. You can also thin the flavor down with extra water if you prefer.

Well, I’ve got the tape and I intend to do my measurements either tonight or tomorrow morning, probably do the pics the same time as well.

Finished today’s workout, it was fairly intense but I felt good afterward. I also experienced cramps for the first time in my life, and I must say that they are genuinely unpleasant. I was really looking forward to the Surge shake today because I thought it would be better than the standard ones, but it was way too sweet for my taste. Managed to get it down though, so no real issues.

Well, another day down. Things seem to be transitioning pretty smoothly now, the shakes still don’t taste the greatest, but it’s more of an annoyance than anything else. I felt pretty sick after working out today, but I think it was just an issue of timing on my part. Also, Surge is still sickeningly sweet, even if you mix it with lemon juice.

Just realized that I haven’t updated in a while, so I figured I’d better get to it.

Things are still going, I find most of the shakes to be pretty tasty now, with the exception of the ones I add Superfood to and the Surge. I had my first HSM on Saturday, I went with some pan-seared chicken, spinach salad, and tomatoes. It was absolutely delicious, I can’t wait for the next one. Did the V-Burn on Sunday, and it whooped my ass. Has anyone actually been able to do this easily right off the bat? It took me ~34 minutes to finish, including the rests I had to take. I found out that I am completely unable to do clap push-ups, so after the first few failed attempts, I had to switch them to regular push-ups.

I also took measurements on Monday, I’m seeing some pretty good results it seems:

Starting:
Weight: ~212
Neck: 16
Shoulders: 48
Upper Chest: 42 1/4
Lower Chest: 38
Waist (Navel): 44
Hips: 41
R Upper Arm: 14 1/4
L Upper Arm: 14 1/4
R Upper Leg: 23 3/4
L Upper Leg: 23 3/4
R Lower Leg: 15 3/4
L Lower Leg: 15 3/4
R Ankle: 10 1/2
L Ankle: 10 1/2

Current:
Weight: 204
Neck: 15 7/8
Shoulders: 47 3/4
Upper Chest: 42
Lower Chest: 38
Waist (Navel): 43
Hips: 40
R Upper Leg: 23 1/2
L Upper Leg: 23 1/2
R Lower Leg: 15 3/4
L Lower Leg: 15 3/4
R Ankle: 10 1/2
L Ankle: 10 1/2

Note that these are kinda misleading. I didn’t take my first set of measurements until the third day, so this isn’t a complete week. So, with the exception of weight, these are all changes after 5 days instead of seven. Also, the measurement for waist at the biggest point isn’t up there because it’s the same as the navel one.

I keep forgetting about posting how I’m doing, but I am still going strong.

Had my second meal last Saturday: steak and sweet potatoes, sauteed vegetables, and spinach salad. It was excellent.

Workouts are still progressing well, and I took measurements again on Monday.

Weight: 201
Neck: 15 3/4
Upper Chest: 42
Lower Chest: 37 1/2
Waist (Navel): 41 1/2
Hips: 40
R Upper Leg: 23
L Upper Leg: 23
R Lower Leg: 15 1/2
L Lower Leg: 15 1/2
R Ankle: 10 1/4
L Ankle: 10 1/4

Weight loss has slowed down considerably, but I was more or less expecting that. My measurements are what concern me, and I’m pretty happy with them right now (especially being down 2 1/2 inches around the waist). It surprises me that I actually saw some change in my ankle measurements. My shoulder measurement increased, which is kinda weird cause nothing else did, but maybe I measured wrong.

Right, well I know I didn’t update at all last week, I just never seem to remember. I did finish though, now working my way through the transition phase.

Final Measurements (Change from start)
Weight: 196 (-16)
Neck: 15.5 (-.5)
Upper Chest: 41 (-1.5)
Lower Chest: 36.5 (-1.5)
Waist (Navel): 39.5 (-4.5!)
Hips: 37.5 (-3.5)
R Upper Arm: 14.5
L Upper Arm: 14.5
R Upper Leg: 22 (-1.75)
L Upper Leg: 22 (-1.75)
R Lower Leg: 15 (-.75)
L Lower Leg: 15 (-.75)
R Ankle: 10 (-.25)
L Ankle: 10 (-.25)

Total: -16 lbs and -17 inches.

*These statements have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration. This product is not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.

Disclaimer: Individual results may vary.