Biotest

Rice, Rice Cakes, and Glycemic Index

Hi Chris,

I was just wondering if you could clear up some confusion regarding white rice and rice cakes. There are several articles on T-Nation that list “carb hierarchies,” in which white rice and brown rice (as well as white and sweet potatoes) are of equal rank.

I had always understood that brown rice was a superior source of carbohydrate compared to white rice due to its rate of conversion into glucose. Are the two varieties simply grouped together since rice, in general, is better than wheat and corn?

Also, regarding rice cakes. I have read in past articles on T-Nation and from other sources that rice cakes were in the same boat as corn flakes and fat-free candy–they are all rapidly converted into glucose and cause a large rise in insulin.

However, in following the Indigo spills and articles, it seems as though rice cakes are a STAPLE in people’s diets. It makes sense that rice cakes might be equivalent to “normal” rice, but I can also see how puffing the grain might increase the product’s GI rating.

My question is essentially, are plain rice cakes an equally “good” carb source compared to sweet potatoes, brown rice, etc, or are they just OK for those with enhanced nutrient utilization via the effects of Indigo?

Thanks for your advice regarding these matters,
Kent

It’s not enough to worry about ( white vs brown ) but yes much better than wheat.

Rice cakes are great, it’s just puffed white or brown rice and salt.

Plain rice cakes are perfectly “good” carb sources.

Rice is fine for Indigo user. And rice cakes are just rice. And G.I. isn’t that big of a deal when rice is eaten with other foods. Finally, many people can handle white rice better than brown. Depending on processing methods, brown rice may contain parts of the bran and germ that can be problematic.

This is a great article: http://www.t-nation.com/free_online_article/most_recent/the_good_the_bad_and_the_assfattening_the_new_starchy_carb_food_pyramid

Long story short, what I’m coming to believe more and more is that carbs aren’t the issue, just certain sources of them, primarily wheat. Many who thrive ob low-cabr diets would probably do just as good (and be able to gain muscle easier) with a wheat-free, but adequate carb diet. The book “Wheat Belly” really breaks this down.

[quote]Chris Shugart wrote:
Rice is fine for Indigo user. And rice cakes are just rice. And G.I. isn’t that big of a deal when rice is eaten with other foods. Finally, many people can handle white rice better than brown. Depending on processing methods, brown rice may contain parts of the bran and germ that can be problematic.

This is a great article: http://www.T-Nation.com/free_online_article/most_recent/the_good_the_bad_and_the_assfattening_the_new_starchy_carb_food_pyramid

Long story short, what I’m coming to believe more and more is that carbs aren’t the issue, just certain sources of them, primarily wheat. Many who thrive ob low-cabr diets would probably do just as good (and be able to gain muscle easier) with a wheat-free, but adequate carb diet. The book “Wheat Belly” really breaks this down. [/quote]

Thanks for the quick reply, Chris!
It makes sense that G.I. wouldn’t be that big of a deal when consuming a mixed meal.
I will definitely read “Wheat Belly” over winter break!