Biotest

Rice for Fatties

[center]Rice for Fatties (And Former Fatties Like Me) [/center]
It’s iffy, that rice stuff.

Some people can eat it with no worries of fat gain or bloat. Others can’t. In fact, all grains (and rice is a grain, just like corn) seem to make some folks body-fat retentive. They never really get abs-on-display lean until they ditch the agrarian crops.

My opinion on rice? Well, it’s better than bread, pasta, and other flour-filled carbs. And unlike all those fakey, dyed-brown, “whole grain” products out there pretending to be health food, at least rice really is a whole grain. For what that’s worth.

My general rule of thumb is this: If you have trouble losing fat and staying lean, try going 100% grain-free, even getting rid of rice. If you have no issues losing fat and keeping it off, well, I still think anything made with cereal grains is best avoided, but if you can handle a little rice, then go for it (and this may depend somewhat on your ethic background.)

For those of us who like to keep grains out of our diets, here’s an alternative to rice that’s not only low in carbs and calories, it’s a potent cancer fighter that gets its own page in Dr. Jonny Bowden’s excellent book, The 150 Healthiest Foods on Earth. Nice.

As a bonus, the celery added here has been shown to contain a phytochemical called phthalides which lower blood pressure and may reduce stress hormones.

Now, let’s make some “nice rice.”

[center]Cauliflower ‘Rice’ [/center]
[center] [/center]
1 head of cauliflower, trimmed and chopped
1 onion, diced
1 cup of celery, finely diced
4 tablespoons of coconut oil (olive works in a pinch)
Dash of pink sea salt

1. If you have a food processor, toss in your cauliflower and give it a whirl until you get rice-sized pieces. Careful, don’t make mush out of it by overprocessing! No food pro? Then you and your 8 inch chef’s knife have some choppin’ to do!

2. Toss your oil and onions in a pan over medium heat for 10 minutes or so, until the onions are soft.

3. Add celery and cook for another 5 minutes.

4. Add cauliflower “rice” to pan, cover, and cook until soft, about 5 or 10 minutes.

5. Add salt and serve.

Enjoy! – Chris

Chopped, but not cooked yet.

I haven’t tried it with frozen cauliflower. Not sure if that would work. If anyone want to guinea-pig that idea, let us know how it turns out.

Favorite way to eat it so far: with coconut milk and shrimp Thai soup. Like regular rice, it absorbs the flavors of the broth.

Dear sir, please add the recipe for the soup!

i should give this a try. thanks

What is that in there? Shrimp, brocc, watercrescets, mushrooms… Could you use almond breeze milk instead of the coconut milk?

[quote]texis300 wrote:
What is that in there? Shrimp, brocc, watercrescets, mushrooms… Could you use almond breeze milk instead of the coconut milk? [/quote]

Never tried that, but it could work. I use “lite” canned coconut milk. Good stuff.

I’ll see if I can find the Thai soup recipe. I think I made that one on the fly, haven’t written it down yet.

Grating the cauliflower is another good option

[quote]stevo_ wrote:
Grating the cauliflower is another good option[/quote]

Yep. Seems very messy though. Chopping too. All fine, but I’m glad I have a couple of food processors (one small, one large). Good investments for those interested in serious cooking.

I made a batch of this the other night and it was great! I am still a little sceptical of the coconut oil and all that saturated fat. Can you exlain to me why that saturated fat is different or better than the stuff in a donut or some other deep fried trash?

[quote]XBonesX wrote:
I made a batch of this the other night and it was great! I am still a little sceptical of the coconut oil and all that saturated fat. Can you exlain to me why that saturated fat is different or better than the stuff in a donut or some other deep fried trash?[/quote]

There are whole books that do that, but here’s a good TNATION article on the topic (there are more in the archives):

Also, run a search here for “coconut oil.”

[quote]Chris Shugart wrote:
Chopped, but not cooked yet.

I haven’t tried it with frozen cauliflower. Not sure if that would work. If anyone want to guinea-pig that idea, let us know how it turns out. [/quote]

I’m going to try this with frozen today to see if it comes out alright. Will let you know ASAP how it comes out.

[quote]Rob_153 wrote:

I’m going to try this with frozen today to see if it comes out alright. Will let you know ASAP how it comes out.[/quote]

Awesome. Thanks!

Can’t seem to figure out how to put pictures directly on this thing yet. So here’s a link:

Scallops with Chimichurri over a bed of “rice”

Finished it.

Here’s what I did.

1)I took a 1 lb. bag of frozen cauliflower (as I imagine a head of fresh would come to around this much).

1. I let it thaw out for an hour or two (doesn’t take long). Then threw it all in a strainer and rinsed it with cold water.

2. Once you’ve shaken it dry the best you can, lay out in a thin layer over paper towels and add one on top to soak up any left on top.

3. Follow the rest of Chris’ steps.

Worked like a charm and damn good if I say so myself. Only thing is mine came out a slight bit soft, but I think I cooked it a little too long. Other than that, excellent!

Looks good!

For pics, hit the reply button at the top of the thread and you’ll see how to add images. The “fast reply” button at the bottom of the thread doesn’t offer that option.

Ah, gotcha. Thanks for the heads up, as well as the awesome recipes. Next up your pumpkin puree with the suggested egg whites instead of the cool whip. I’ve stocked up on enough stuff that I’m gonna try to make one or more of these recipes every day for a few weeks. I’ll keep posting pics though and fooling around with different stuff I have laying around.

Made this tonight and what a treat! I’ve been struggling with my carb intake (very lean and working hard to put on some solid size). I pretty much inhaled it without thinking twice. Love your recipes.

Keep inspiring.