Biotest

Resveratrol Study

I was wondering what the thoughts were on the following study on Resveratrol supplementation in humans, Resveratrol Blunts the Positive Effects of Exercise Training on Cardiovascular Health in Aged Men. JPHYSIOL, 2013/258060. Looks like Resveratrol in humans may act differently than in Mice. Now I could not tell how soon they started exercising after taking Resveratrol meaning did they take it then immediately exercise or was there a gap of a few hours. But another concern is that they are finding that in humans Resveratrol seems to inhibit or down regulate AMPk versus upregulate it like in mouse models which if true would be a good reason it would counter the effects of exercise. Anyways it is one study but putting it with what we know about other antioxidants blunting the training effects of exercise this is concerning. And from the standpoint that some of the comparisons between animal and human models we are using to extrapolate the benefits of Resveratrol and for that matter Curcumin may be problematic if the systems being effected namely AMPk are the opposite. Just wondering how to square all this away. My main reason I take curcumin is for its anticancer effects and which is also the reason I was considering using Resveratrol but this kind of info concerns me especially if some of the systems are being effected in the opposite way in animal versus human models.

Also the article cited 2 other studies both in humans albeit one using human tissue but the other was on non obese women with normal glucose tolerance and both showed AMPk was down regulated among other key enzymes which is the opposite of rodent models. One study was in Diabetologia 2012 November, Acute exposure to Resveratrol Inhibits AMPk activity in Human Skeletal Muscle Cells. The main conclusion was "Acute exposure to RSV inhibits AMPk activity, fatty acid oxidation and glucose metabolism in human myotubes. The other study also in 2012 in journal of Cell Metab and in 2012 was Resveratrol Supplementation does not improve metabolic function in non obese women with normal glucose tolerance.

Not sure if this forum is active or not judging by lack of activity I just hope no one thinks I’m trolling or something just want to use every thing I can to lessen my risk of cancer right now I’m using super food, flameout and curcumin and was thinking of adding res-v until I stumbled on this study. If its I flawed study please explain how and why it seems pretty decent by I’m no expert on epidemiology either. I have no ax to grind Im just trying to do all I can above the typical maintain a healthy weight, exercise and not smoking. Yes I’m eating lots of veges and fruits and less red meat the typical dietary stuff but I want to try to do more which is why I have included some supplements but like I said I was looking to add res-v.

I tend not to get involved in researching individual studies, since they can be confusing at best and contradictory at worst, but I believe the overwhelming majority of research confirms that resveratrol is very beneficial, so I lean that way. I also take Rez-V and have my fiancee take it. If I thought it was an issue, I wouldn’t.

Google the rebuttal piece titled “Resveratrol as a supplement to exercise training: friend or foe?” It raises and addresses some flaws in that study.

If you mean this info about taking antioxidants around training, that’s the thing. It’s only an issue when their taking right before or right after training. Taking antioxidants at other times of the day is perfectly fine.

I’m not great with conversions, but I’m pretty sure the dosages that study looked at were well beyond what you’d get in supplement form, making it significantly less relevant.

Thanks for the reply. I’ll have to google that rebuttal article.

I read the rebuttal definitely raised counts on the veracity of the studies findings. One more question if was to chose to add res-v to my supplement regimen and did not care about the anti-estogen part just the other benefits would less of a dose be beneficial like in the 250 mg range which seems to be more commonly used.