Biotest

Regarding HSM!

Okay, so on the HSM… is the point to get the daily calories above maintenance or maintenance level OR just higher in carbs than the regular shake meal OR higher in calories for that one meal or what? I’m not quite sure what to do. If I’m constantly in a calorie deficit regardless of whether it’s from solid foods or liquids for an extended time, won’t I plateau and actually go into starvation mode and GAIN fat? Please help. ><

[quote]Jouho wrote:
Okay, so on the HSM… is the point to get the daily calories above maintenance or maintenance level OR just higher in carbs than the regular shake meal OR higher in calories for that one meal or what? I’m not quite sure what to do. If I’m constantly in a calorie deficit regardless of whether it’s from solid foods or liquids for an extended time, won’t I plateau and actually go into starvation mode and GAIN fat? Please help. ><[/quote]

I’ll get more detail into the V-Diet book I’m sure (because people demand detail) but honestly, the HSM doesn’t have that many guidelines.

For one, if you choose the right healthy, filling foods, you’ll have a hard time overeating during the HSM. Combine that with the fact that you’ll find yourself getting full very quickly and there’s no reason to sweat the details of the caloric intake.

BUT, generally speaking, your HSM should contain about the same calories as two V-Diet shakes. Think of that as a rule of thumb.

My favorite HSM is a lean steak, a pile of steamed veggies, and a sweet potato. So yes, the carbs will probably be higher than normal with this meal.

Of course, this is not a “cheat meal.” No breads, no desserts, no junk food, no piles of pasta. Think big piece of protein (chicken, beef, fish, eggs etc.) a side carb (sweet potato, small amount of brown rice, oatmeal etc.) and as many steamed veggies as you want. A little fruit would be fine too (berries are best.)

The rest of the day, you’ll have shakes as usual, though you won’t have as many. The HSM will replace one or two shakes that day.

Thank you for the response!

Aren’t you the same guy who didn’t want to use Surge and didn’t want to lift weights?

Thanks, Shug, for that info on the HSM. I am entering the transition phase next week and was worried about what to eat. Now I know I can have a sweet potato or brown rice as a side.

What other carbs are considered good? How is whole wheat bread and what kind of dressings for salads? Thanks.

fiber = good

[quote]thoughts1053 wrote:
What other carbs are considered good? How is whole wheat bread and what kind of dressings for salads? Thanks.[/quote]

Olive oil and vinegar only for salads.

Avoid bread, even it’s whole wheat. Still crap carbs we want to break the addiction to, for the most part.

[quote]Chris Shugart wrote:
thoughts1053 wrote:
What other carbs are considered good? How is whole wheat bread and what kind of dressings for salads? Thanks.

Olive oil and vinegar only for salads.

Avoid bread, even it’s whole wheat. Still crap carbs we want to break the addiction to, for the most part.
[/quote]

I just ask cause I am entering the transition phase and needed more variation. So no whole wheat bread or pasta. Besides, sweet potato, veggies, brown rice, and oatmeal, what other good carbs are there to have? I am doing the transition strict and going with the lunch option. Thanks.

I can’t decide what to have for my HSM do I either go;

Breakfast; Porridge with some fresh strawberries and an egg white and onion omelette

or

Lunch : Chicken with steamed asparagus with some sweet potato