Biotest

Reduce Fat and Build Muscle

Kevin asks:

I noticed that some of your products kind of do the same things. Was wondering what you guys would suggest I should use to try to reduce fat and build muscle at the same time. I am already using your Indigo-3G. I am 5’6" and 239lbs with about 28-30% body fat. When I do workout it is usually pretty intense weight lifting for up to an hour and a half or so. Any recommendations on which protein, pre, intra, and post workout product would be helpful. I really need to find products that help me maximize the time spent in the gym.

To add a little more info. I work a 24hour 365days on call as a mechanic in the Gulf of Mexico. So needless to say I have no set workout routine. But everyday I am home, which can range from 5-25 days a month non consecutive, I workout with weights and get in as much cardio as my schedule allows. I am a fairly muscular guy with a guy. Not looking to get stage ready just want the gut gone

[quote]T NATION wrote:
Kevin asks:

I noticed that some of your products kind of do the same things. Was wondering what you guys would suggest I should use to try to reduce fat and build muscle at the same time. I am already using your Indigo-3G. I am 5’6" and 239lbs with about 28-30% body fat. When I do workout it is usually pretty intense weight lifting for up to an hour and a half or so. Any recommendations on which protein, pre, intra, and post workout product would be helpful. I really need to find products that help me maximize the time spent in the gym. [/quote]

Understand one thing: losing fat and building muscle at the same time is hard to do. Heck, even those using steroids have a hard time losing a lot of fat while adding a lot of muscle (most pro bodybuilders will be happy to avoid losing muscle while dieting down for a contest).

So doing it naturally is even harder. It IS possible but you must be perfect in pretty much every aspect involved in body composition: diet, training, supplement, recovery.

1st there are no supplements that can compensate for a bad diet when it comes to losing fat. INDIGO is a great product as it increases nutrients storage inside the muscle and thus reduces what is stored as fat. But it can’t help you if you eat fast food or desert.

2nd your body “doesn’t want” to lose fat. It sees it as a great tool for survival and will only dispose of it if there is a darn good reason to do so. You say that you train with intensity. Honestly I never take anyone’s word for it when they say that (it’s not personal, I’m like this with everybody until I see them). Intensity means different things to different people. To stimulate fat loss you must use methods that can be quite uncomfortable.

Sets where the muscles are under constant tension for 50-70 seconds in a row. Big lifts done for fairly high volume. And the most effective tool of all: doing conditioning work in the lactic zone… this means doing sprints, hill sprints, farmer’s walk, sandbag carries, wheelbarrow walks for 90 seconds to 3 minutes per set for several sets. These will create the biochemical and hormonal responses to increase fat mobilization and fat loss.

There is also the case of creating a caloric deficit. While you CAN drop fat without being in a deficit, it is very difficult to do so. So you don’t have a choice you can either cut you calories or train more. If you are strength training 3x a week and doing no conditioning work at all, you WILL have to ingest a pretty good deficit to lose a good amount of fat because that is not much work at all.

The thing is that the more you cut your calories the harder it will be to add muscle, it is very hard if not impossible to add muscle if you don’t ingest enough nutrients.

So if you want to GAIN muscle while losing fat you wont have a choice but to do so by increasing your overall weekly volume. I’m not necessarily saying to do more sets per workout. but to do more overall physical work during your week.

That’s where supplementation is important. IMHO where supplements are the most important is in allowing you to recover faster between sessions and being able to do more work in each workout. A “fat burner” will increase caloric expenditure by 3-5%… or the equivalent of roughly 75-150 calories per day WOOHOO at this rate it will help you lose about a pound of fat more per 4-6 weeks. Whereas solid peri-workout nutrition will allow you to burn hundreds if not thousands of calories more per week (if not per day) by allowing you to recover faster and thus train more often and do more work.

HERE’S THE THING THOUGH: YOU HAVE TO TAKE ADVANTAGE OF THE SUPPLEMENT AND DO MORE WORK!!! If you just hope that the supplement will do everything for you, you will be disappointed.

That’s why we specialized in advanced supplements, we want the hard workers, those who are willing to use the supplements for what they are designed to do: allow you to do more work and thus progress more.

In that regard PLAZMA pre and during workout and MAG-10 2-3 times during the day is pretty much my universal recommendation.

Wow, not too much I can add to Thibs’ response, but I’ll give it a shot.

[quote]KMaturin wrote:
I really need to find products that help me maximize the time spent in the gym.[/quote]
If your training is so sporadic, you need to be that much more on target with your nutrition. I know you said you’re already using Indigo, but what does your general eating look like? That’s going to have a huge impact on how much or how little fat loss progress you see.

Sounds like a pretty crazy schedule. I’d just make sure that your training plan is as productive as possible. Meaning, something like one day just for arms or one day just for chest won’t cut it when you can’t be sure how long it’ll be until you hit the gym again. A big picture approach along the lines of what Thib was talking about will be tons better for your goal than a “traditional” bodybuilding split.

Other than that, he summed it up great. Indigo, Plazma, and Mag-10 are a very solid and very simple combo for building muscle and dropping fat:

Two obviously more qualified people have answered your question, but I will give you some input from just an average guy.

I think it would be very difficult for the average guy to effectively lose fat and build muscle at the exact same time. CT gives his perspective that it is difficult and he is an expert. You are probably not so you have to be realistic.

Just broaden your timeline and focus on one or the other. From my experience, I lost a decent about of weight but was left with a pretty weak body with very little muscle mass (little muscle to begin with in reality). I then focused on building muscle. I did this through eating over maintenance, compound lifting (pretty exclusively), and supplementation. After some decent gains in strength, I focused on losing weight by adding in conditioning and some limited endurance work. For me it was a 2-3 year journey. My advice would be to focus on a longer time frame then you probably currently are. In the end, I lost fat and added muscle at the same time (but over a three year period).

To specifically answer your question - these are supplements I felt made an EXTREME difference in my results.

-60 min means 60 minutes prior to training

Adding muscle:
-60 min Micro-PA
-30 min Indigo-3G
-15 min 1 dose Plazma
-Train (plus 1-2 more doses Plazma)
+30 min 2 doses MAG-10

Losing weight:
-30 min Indigo-3G
-15 min 1 dose Plazma
Train (plus 1 dose Plazma)
+30 min 2 doses MAG-10
*Pulse fast once (maybe twice) per week with MAG-10
Thermo / fat burner

This is a bit pricey I guess, but it gets results, and the supplements from Biotest are the real deal. But it only gets results with hard work and a diet pretty on point (which I hope goes without saying).

Hope I did not come off as looking for the magic pill to get rid of my gut. I am a work in progress when it comes to getting my nutrition and training right. I am learning more everyday. Christian, I follow you on social media and am learning a lot from your articles and your input was very valuable. You guys have given me a good base to start from. I understand the long road I have in front of me. Just trying to find a way to over come the hectic work schedule I have and looking for ways that I can maximize nutrition and training when I can. The nutrition part is my biggest hurdle at work because of working in the Gulf of Mexico I have to make do with what is on hand on the platform. Thank you to everyone who took the time to answer my question.

[quote]KMaturin wrote:
Just trying to find a way to over come the hectic work schedule I have and looking for ways that I can maximize nutrition and training when I can. The nutrition part is my biggest hurdle at work because of working in the Gulf of Mexico I have to make do with what is on hand on the platform.[/quote]
Maybe start a thread in the Supp/Nutrition forum so guys can give some more input. I did a quick forum search and some pretty old threads came up discussing how to train on an oil rig (not sure if that’s exactly what you’re doing), so a new thread might stir up some more discussion from guys with experience.

Worst case scenario, stick to the basics. Hard to go wrong if your default meal is “big chunk of meat + half-plate of vegetables”.

I believe it is possible to lose fat and gain muscle at the same time. In fact I did it earlier this year.

I went from 258 to 237 in about 4 months doing it. I did it naturally as well.

One disclaimer I should add for others reading this post is that I do not believe it is possible or easy to do at all as you get lower in Bf. The lower I got the less weight I would lose per week.

What I did was eat a ton the day before the workout and the day of my workout. (I only trained once a week at the time). The rest of the week I would eat less than I needed to get a caloric deficit. (Once a month I would train legs, a strong area for me, so count that as 1.25 times per week). In the beginning I was losing about a lb and a half a week, and gaining in strength every time I went to the gym. Towards the end of the period I would lose about half a lb a week and some weeks not lose any weight. So my answer is that at your BF it is possible I believe but not as you get down to normal bf%.

At that time I was using just MAG-10, but you’ve got in advantage by taking more supplements from here. I tracked my weight numbers daily.

I’ll add that I was not inexperienced in the training department beforehand. I’ll give my numbers and explain why I am doing it.

At 20 years old I benched 340 at about 205 bodyweight. At 23 I Deadlifted 545 at about 210 BW. And while doing this part of the diet I hit 465 for 7 reps Squat at 240 at my current age of 27. I don’t bench anymore, and I don’t do heavy deadlifting anymore.

I added that information to make the point that someone who had reached less of their potential may be able to make even greater strength gains even faster.

You don’t have to follow what my program suggests. I am just saying I know it can be done at high BF levels.

I should add that strength gains slowed on the program I followed during the diet.