Biotest

Recommended Protein Intake

Hi I am working out to get bigger. I am not massively fat, but I am more on the endomorph shape. I have a spare tire and all that. I am not trying to loose weight, more trying to build muscle and then maybe lean down later. But Just wondered if the recommended protein intake will be the same if you are like 25-30% BF…like surely just coz I’m heavier because of BF doesn’t mean I need more protein does it?

I weigh 165lbs and am 5’5" tall…

(oopse jeanmich, b4 I wrote 165kg, but I meant lbs)

There are many “rules” to protein intake, but much depends on the type of protein used and even when.

But a good place to start is a gram per pound of body weight, then you can adjust up or down based on results. If overweight, it’ll be less than a gram per pound. It’s a very general “rule” and isn’t always right depending on a number of factors, but it’s a reliable place to get an estimate. (And some say 1.5 grams if using standard protein sources, but that number usually assumes some leanness or modest body fat levels.)

Here’s a good article that’ll help you out: http://www.t-nation.com/free_online_article/sports_body_training_performance_nutrition/how_bodybuilders_should_eat

363 lbs at 5’5, you should lose weight lol. TON of it…like 200 lbs of it.

[quote]jeanmich wrote:
363 lbs at 5’5, you should lose weight lol. TON of it…like 200 lbs of it.[/quote]

x2. no offence but 363lbs at 5’5 IS massively fat.

Saying you want to build muscle indicates you don’t already have any. At that height loosing 200lbs is what you want to do.

Seriously. I’m 5’10 and currently coming down from 255, at about 30% bf and i have quite a bit of muscle.

There is no way you are 30% bf, that would mean you have 255lbs of lean mass at 5’5 would mean you have more LBM than pretty much every IFBB Professional bodybuilder out there.

Flex lewis, 212 olympia champ is 5’5 and he weighs 212lbs on stage. He is a professional bodybuilder. You are probably more like 60%bf. Sorry dude.

He edited his post. He meant pounds.

[quote]Marzouk wrote:

[quote]jeanmich wrote:
363 lbs at 5’5, you should lose weight lol. TON of it…like 200 lbs of it.[/quote]

Saying you want to build muscle ortunatelyicates you don’t already have any. At that height loosing 200lbs is what you want to do.

Seriously. I’m 5’10 and currently coming down from 255, at about 30% bf and i have quite a bit of muscle.

There is no way you are 30% bf, that would mean you have 255lbs of lean mass at 5’5 would mean you have more LBM than pretty much every IFBB Prthinkofessional bodybuilder out there.

Flex lewis, 212 olympia champ is 5’5 and he weighs 212lbs on stage. He is a professional bodybuilder. You are probably more like 60%bf. Sorry dude.[/quote]

No I’m not, but it’s cool I said kg when I meant lbs. I do have muscle just not loads, I can deadlift 130kg (nearly twice my bodyweight) and bench 90kg (1.5x bodyweight), so I’m not a weakling but could do better. Unfortunately I don’t work out consistently as I have to travel for work and spend a lot off time on computers (I’m a film maker) sometimes and have crazy schedule and deadlines. I’m not trying to be a bodybuilder, just want to achieve my goals… I.e be more muscle than fat, be strong enough to lift heavy camera equipment without injuring myself.

I think eating about 120g of protein will probably be enough for me. I am currently doing the huge in a hurry without plan by Chad Waterbury. Hopefully will increase muscle mass that lean down later.

Think my stats are

162 lbs
32-35 % bf
47 % water
18,% muscle mass
5’5" height

Any tips on protein, fat, carb intake would be good.

[quote]bankside wrote:

[quote]Marzouk wrote:

[quote]jeanmich wrote:

Saying you want to build muscle ortunatelyicates you don’t already have any. At that height loosing 200lbs is what you want to do.

There is no way you are 30% bf, that would mean you have 255lbs of lean mass at 5’5 would mean you have more LBM than pretty much every IFBB Prthinkofessional bodybuilder out there.

Flex lewis, 212 olympia champ is 5’5 and he weighs 212lbs on stage. He is a professional bodybuilder. You are probably more like 60%bf. Sorry dude.[/quote]

No I’m not, but it’s cool I said kg when I meant lbs. I do have muscle just not loads, I can deadlift 130kg (nearly twice my bodyweight) and bench 90kg (1.5x bodyweight), so I’m not a weakling but could do better. Unfortunately I don’t work out consistently as I have to travel for work and spend a lot off time on computers (I’m a film maker) sometimes and have crazy schedule and deadlines. I’m not trying to be a bodybuilder, just want to achieve my goals… I.e be more muscle than fat, be strong enough to lift heavy camera equipment without injuring myself.

I think eating about 120g of protein will probably be enough for me. I am currently doing the huge in a hurry without plan by Chad Waterbury. Hopefully will increase muscle mass that lean down later.

Think my stats are

162 lbs
32-35 % bf
47 % water
18,% muscle mass
5’5" height

[/quote]

Cool, glad it is lbs not kgs! as for the protein 200 is a more reasonable number. 1-1.5g per lb.

Could you fit in a couple of <a href="http://www.t-nation.com/store/products/mag-10"target=“new”>Mag-10 per day?

The protein in Mag-10 is comprised of a new di- and tripeptide complex that’s transported (requiring no further breakdown) directly into the bloodstream. And the di-/tripeptide mixture found in Mag-10 produces effects in muscle that are above and beyond simple aminos from other proteins.

Peptide structures have biological activities beyond regular amino acids. Tim Patterson notes that only 20 grams of protein from Mag-10 stimulates protein synthesis to a far greater degree than what you’d get from 100s of grams of conventional protein.

So, this would easily allow you to hit protein goals with your busy schedule, and the thermic nature of the carb type will help with fat loss.

[quote]bankside wrote:

Think my stats are

162 lbs
32-35 % bf
47 % water
18,% muscle mass
5’5" height

[/quote]

I’m with Chris Shugart that some MAG-10 would be a great addition, but I can tell you from experience you’re going to need more protein than 120 grams.

Shoot for Minimum 200 grams of protein a day. Ideally 240. That’s 1.5x body weight. When you start hitting 1.5 grams of protein per pound of body weight you start to get better results in both the fat loss and muscle growth department.

This is just my thoughts. As for fat - shoot for an added 60-80 a day, slightly higher if you’re eating lots of lean meats ( chicken breast, turkey breast, 93% lean beef, etc ).

Carbs are highly dependent on training and physiology. Play around with them. Start lowish and up as needed.