Biotest

Recommendation: New Book Grain Brain

hello Chris,

More or less hot - OK, lukewarm - on the heels of Wheat Belly is the book
Grain Brain by Dr David Perlmutter, neurologist.

He explores and explains the effects of grains on the brain, ie epilepsy, Alzheimer’s, cognition etc, disucssing also the “progress” of heart disease and diabetes into Type 3 diabetes.

I’m into the first 2 chapters but can see the value well and plainly and the one interview
I’ve heard with him is in plain English. His expertise and enthusiasm for this subject is evident.

Really recommend it. As always, hope it’s OK to post on this topic page.

Oh by the way, I’ve had asthma all my life but only when I was reading something about diabetes did I find out that corticosteroids - standard asthma medication esp. in emergencies -raises blood sugar!! Deinflames while igniting an inflammation agent! Am gobsmacked.

Cheers.

I think my wife has skimmed that one, but I haven’t yet. Is he mostly anti-wheat or is he against rice, oatmeal, buckwheat etc.?

He recommends limiting the oats/rice/buckwheat etc., but then so do you! :
drperlmutter.com/eat/list-of-gluten-free-foods/

The aim is to avoid inflammation and therefore brain damage.

Cheers. :slight_smile:

i had checked out wheat belly at library but then work prevented the time to read it all.

do you guys not eat any rice, oatmeal or wheat products or just try to keep it at a bare minimum?

Rice, oatmeal, buckwheat, quinoa etc. are not wheat. I only avoid wheat. I eat the crap out of the rest, but first I fixed up my nutrient partitioning mechanisms with Indigo-3G.

There’s a good summary of wheat belly here: http://thehealingproject.us/2012/09/22/book-summary-wheat-belly-by-william-davis-md/

[quote]conservativedog wrote:
i had checked out wheat belly at library but then work prevented the time to read it all.

do you guys not eat any rice, oatmeal or wheat products or just try to keep it at a bare minimum?

[/quote]

The idea ia on WB not to eat any grains, mainly because they raise your blood sugar.
Some people do eat a small amount of rice or quinoa etc, but most are looking to cut their grain carbs/sugar intake. Results are awesome.
The core is that because wheat has been hybridised to buggery it’s inflammatory and very damaging to the body/brain/blood sugar levels., It has been chromosomally altered.

People like Chris who are hard-core gym rats/nutrition experts and supplement users (who you notice still stays off wheat) can manipulate their non-wheat carb intake to accommodate the rice quinoa and suchlike.
But most people, who might still work out, are so relieved to feel better, lose some illnesses and lose weight and their food addictions naturally that they go off all the grains and the high-carb substitutes. The idea is to eat foods that will not raise your blood sugar.

Check out the book if you’re curious.
And yes, Dr Davis the writer is a fully-fledged cardiologist, the nature of whose practice has changed completely. Very interesting.
Cheers.

[quote]Chris Shugart wrote:
Rice, oatmeal, buckwheat, quinoa etc. are not wheat. I only avoid wheat. I eat the crap out of the rest, but first I fixed up my nutrient partitioning mechanisms with Indigo-3G.

There’s a good summary of wheat belly here: http://thehealingproject.us/2012/09/22/book-summary-wheat-belly-by-william-davis-md/[/quote]

That IS a good summary! Thanks for the link!